Unlimited access >

Junior Hunter Finals

hello, so just out of curiosity how does USEF determine who qualified for junior hunter finals when the horse show combines the juniors and AOs together? do they just take the two highest scoring juniors?
Also, because of the way the qualifying period is set up, it is possible to qualify as a junior but then be an amateur by the time finals come around… Are you allowed to still compete at junior hunter finals if this happens or are you just out of luck?
Finally, any tips on qualifying for junior hunters finals as fast as possible would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

You need to win a champion or reserve in either the 3’3" or the 3’6" juniors at an A/AA show. If they have combined the divisions, it is usually because there were not 3 of either juniors or A/Os to make a division. If there were 3 juniors then there would be a champion and reserve. If there were only 2, a champion/reserve is not awarded. You have to qualify by the end of May, so you have 4 weeks left or try for next year.

2 Likes

What part of the country are you located? You can search for competition options on the USEF website. You can also check historical counts to see what shows might be the most strategic options to try to win champ or reserve.

If you qualify as a junior - say you are champion in July 2017 and qualify for the finals in 2018 but in 2018 you are no longer a junior - you can not compete. Your horse can with junior rider but not you. The qualifying is based on the horse not the rider.

So in this case your horse needs to be champion or reserve to qualify OR you can lease a horse that’s already qualified.

Specs are here: https://www.usef.org/compete/disciplines/hunter/usef-junior-hunter-national-championship

The linked specs don’t address what happens if sections are combined. I’d call USEF on that and ask for a clarification.

You also qualify if you’re in the top ten of your zone.

Peggy, has it always been the top 10 in the zone can compete?

I have no idea. I looked up the rule because I was curious. There’s a kid in my barn who was hoping to qualify and the situation of combining sections could have come up. I was kind of surprised to see it.