Unlimited access >

Just a Brag Post

Just wanted to share with some equally crazy horse people - my mare was cleared to ride today! :confetti_ball:

Almost four months ago to the day (2/20), the Saturday after the Texas icepocalypse, I found my five year old down in the field after breakfast. She had been fine an hour before, wearing a blanket, but then she was neither fine nor clothed.

I immediately thought the worst, that she had broken a leg or met some tragic fate - but when I ran out to her, she immediately jumped up - all legs fine and no blood. But then I saw it - her flank filleted open from stifle to hip.

We immediately rushed to the closest hospital, where the vets were able to palpate into her abdomen elbow deep. Her peritoneum was torn internally. There weren’t many options aside from “wait and see”. If her intestines didn’t fall out of her body, she would likely survive. If they did, there was no chance to save her.

She spent close to three weeks in ICU, on a tie line, prevented from being able to lay down. We stitched the outside of her flank to try to prevent a complete disaster in the event that her abdominal cavity failed. A week in the stitches ripped out. I took the following photo three days in, the day I really felt like she was ready to throw in the towel mentally. I’ve never seen a horse so depressed and checked out.

She also chipped her pastern in the original accident. It was a secondary concern, to evaluate surgical options once we knew she would even survive.

As of today, we went back to the vet to do our pastern follow up. The chip has healed incredibly well, my mare is sound, and she was given the green light to return to work and we’d address any arthritis that may appear in the joint when we come to that bridge.

I am elated. Photo from today.

30 Likes

Brag away! What an amazing recovery! I am over the moon for both of you.

1 Like

That’s great. She is beautiful.

1 Like

Wow. So glad she has recovered so well!

1 Like

That’s amazing! So happy to hear :blush:

1 Like

Amazing!! Plus holy smokes she is shiny and gorgeous! What is she (other than obviously very well cared for and loved)?

1 Like

Wonderful! So happy for you. What a beautiful girl!

1 Like

She’s a paint! My entire barn is APHA aside from the tobiano AMHR gelding. :sunglasses:

Truth be told though, she has a more TB outcrossing close up than a lot of my others. The goal before all of this was to have her in the pre-greens this year; now we’re just thankful she’s alive.

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/living+to+luke+hot

2 Likes

What an ordeal for both of you. Congratulations on her recovery - and well done!

1 Like

Awww, such a lovely girl! Glad she recovered. Such an ordeal for a young horse. Have you noticed any changes to her personality? Is she easier to handle? More clingy?

1 Like

Brag away sister ! She’s lovely and I’m so thrilled she pulled through. Best wishes to you both.

1 Like

Totally worth bragging about!!! She is lovely and obviously taken care of very well.

1 Like

Whoooooooohooooooooo!!! This makes me so happy to see!

1 Like

It actually seems to be a little bit of a blessing. She’s always been spicy and opinionated and busy minded, and after this whole ordeal I swear she has a sense with me of “oh you saved me, so I really trust you and look to you for guidance” now. I don’t know if it’s necessarily a result of this ordeal, or if she just finally mentally matured as she hit five years old.

She stayed SUPER rational the majority of her three months of stall rest, she’s been very good starting back to work, and she has a little bit more “i’m going to stop and think” and a little less “i’m going to react first and think later”. But again - is that as a result of this, or because she’s growing out of her teenage brain? She’s always been my most athletic horse - at 17hh, I’ve seen her jump into the air and do a 180 without touching the ground, she easily bucked off the colt breaker a few times. I trusted her this weekend to go walk around the big pasture on the buckle and she was golden.

She was jumping around baby crossrail courses last year, so my goal is to get her back over fences in due time. Here’s hoping it continues to go smooth - I’d prefer to not eat dirt. :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s great to hear! I’m sure it’s a bit of both. Maturity and experience. These things can really make a horse see people differently.

My BLM mare went though an illness last year and spent the week in the hospital. She had to be muzzled the first day or so. She reverted to self preservation (she was rounded up). Then, she slowly dropped her guard as she began to feel better. She came home different. More cuddly. As if she knew why I sent her there with those strangers bothering her. She isn’t clingy, but she will try anything I ask of her.

Holy CRAP! What a terrifying injury… and such a big hurdle! Big kudos to you and your mare, OP. Enjoy your ride. :smile: