Unlimited access >

Just a shout out to an awesome Surgeon!

A little back story, had a 2 year old come in from the pasture about 6 weeks ago with swelling on the outside of her right hind. Very small cut but nothing otherwise. She was sound.
Cold hose, poultice followed up by a sweat over the course of 2 weeks but nothing brought the swelling down.

My vet suggested lightly working her for a couple weeks to see if any changes. No changes and stayed sound. Decided to x ray and ultrasound and found a fractured piece of splint bone. Ultrasound wasn’t very cooperative as it was very cold but she thought the suspensory looked irritated.

Referred us to Mid Atlantic for a consult (my first time, I’m a Cornell girl) and potentially splint fracture removal. It was a 2 week wait for the appointment but I thought that was reasonable as it wasn’t an emergency.

Fast forward to today, Dr. Clark repeated the lameness eval (dead sound), x rays and ultrasound.
With there being a margin of about a centimeter between the suspensory and the fracture coupled with him thinking the swelling was actually caused by a broken lymphatic vessel, he advised no surgery and that he didn’t think it will ever bother her.

So thankful for a very straightforward and informative vet. I appreciate the thousands he saved my customer - he easily could have just went in and removed it without further investigation.
Anyone looking for a super vet in the Northeast; Dr Clark at Mid Atlantic Equine is top notch!

PS. Picture of the queen for tax. :wink:

11 Likes