Unlimited access >

Just bought Kan body protector

I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with the Kan vest for women. www.kanteq.com I was very taken by it when I tried it at an event and I purchased it on the spot after comparing it to my current vest. I also wear an air vest and have never actually deployed it in the 3 or 4 years I’ve owned it. All my falls since then were roll-overs and as you know, an airvest doesn’t really help in that situation. I have a very dated (year 2000) vest that I wore under my air vest and I felt as safe as one can feel until I saw the Kan vest and compared it. It has smart foam that hardens on impact and it is extremely robust compared to my old vest. And it’s made to fit women - so no more squashing!
Anyway, I have a question for anyone who would know about the rules. Kan makes a medical card holder in the shoulder. You can see it on the website cover in one of the pictures on the rider’s shoulder. I’m wondering if we can legally wear it there the way they do in Ireland . I know we weren’t allowed to use the pocket that Cassel-Equi placed on the tail portion of their vests. I get so annoyed with my armband! Either make it blood stopping tight or have it become a distracting bracelet while on course. Wouldn’t it be awesome if it could just live in this shoulder protector?
I’d also love to hear anyone else’s experiences with this body protector. I usually wait to hear a lot of reports before I buy something, but I think I needed a little retail therapy after trekking 8 hours to an event and my horse showing up lame!

I had a ring steward give me a hard time about mine in AZ. I just told her they were new and she’d be seeing a lot more of them, so get used to it. Then I rode off. Yes I was kind of rude, but I was trying to warm up a very tense horse and nerves were getting to me:(

That is a good question about the armband holder - because the idea about it being on your arm (not your leg, or in your pocket) is that it is consistently in the same place on your body, and if it’s part of the vest and they remove the vest then it won’t be on you any more. However, to take that line of thinking a bit further, if you are wearing your jacket in show jumping, and the armband is on the outside of your sleeve (as it needs to be) when they remove your jacket they will have to remove the armband as well.

But since when did logic play into every rule.

I bought a Kanteq at the USEA meeting last Dec. I really liked how it fit and how it was made. A friend got one a year ago and loves it so that sold me. My tipperary was from 1998… Kinda time for a replacement.

I tried one on at Copper Meadows and I can’t wait to buy one. I’m hoping they do a vest trade in program (doubtful), but I’m saving money to buy one this year. I was in love. I tried on a demo, off-rack size that wasn’t even custom, and despite being too short in the back due to my long torso, it fit like a custom.

I schooled XC in my vest the very next day and was so disappointed. I like my CO but after trying the KanTeq it just doesn’t compare…

I also tried one on at Copper Meadows. I’m hoping I can make one be in the budget as it was lovely- and I’d like to replace my current vest that barely reaches to belt level! The lady fitting at Copper was fantastic, she custom built one to fit me so I could see if I liked it, and then rebuilt it again to suit how I like my vest to feel. I like to wear mine quite snug fit to body so they can exchange side panels and cover sizes etc to accommodate. They were going to let me take it out and try but I’d already run XC. Was happy with how it felt and it was actually long enough for my 6’+ super long upper body. Now to be able to save up for one!

I asked a friend who is a TD, and has a Kanteq vest. The wording is: “enclosed in a transparent, waterproof carrier…securely attached to the upper arm on the outside of clothing” so yes, it is OK.

She used hers all last year and was never questioned.

[QUOTE=Hilary;7488541]
I asked a friend who is a TD, and has a Kanteq vest. The wording is: “enclosed in a transparent, waterproof carrier…securely attached to the upper arm on the outside of clothing” so yes, it is OK.

She used hers all last year and was never questioned.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Hilary!