Just feeling DONE with horses...ever get to this point?

I’m not making any decisions any time soon, but man. After all that’s happened in the last few years, I am just feeling DONE with horses. It’s one part all the crap my body has thrown at me and is throwing at me–two back surgeries, brain surgery this past January, lingering nerve damage and muscle spasticity, balance issues, forced medical retirement–and one part the crushing heartache (heart stomping, really) I’ve endured with having to put my horses down. I have no interest in owning a full sized horse any time soon, or really at this point, ever again. At this point, I physically cannot handle a 1000lb animal–my mind knows what to do to correct a horse if they get pushy in hand, but my body isn’t there to keep up. I’ve sold off 75% of my full-size tack and just feel…done.

All I have now is my mini, who thankfully is as robust as ever and at 16 is happy to do as little as possible. (Her motto in life: “Avoid giving a crap when at all possible.”) I enjoy driving he, but man…man I miss riding.

And I think that’s a major role in my desire to just be done. I miss it all so much, but can’t do anything about it.

I won’t make any decisions as far as selling off the rest of my tack or letting go of hope completely, but, meh. I feel defeated. Mini, goats, and snakes it is, for now.

Any other equestrians with disabilities at this point, or been there?

Since you miss riding, couldn’t you just fill the need for riding without owning a horse by taking lessons or renting a horse for a trail ride?

I am getting close. I am trying to gets my ducks in a row financially so I can retire and man…I spend a lot on my horse that I haven’t been able to fully enjoy for over 2 years now. Wouldn’t mind it a bit if I was able to ride as much as I would like.

I have been all kinds of lame for several years. I get one lameness solved and another pops up. What I need is a full time job rehabbing ME. I have a very hard time maintaining a full time job, work in physical therapy/exercise, help my elderly parents AND drive 1hr (rd trip) to the barn and work my horse. My get up and go has got up and went :sadsmile:. My riding lately has been 2 days a week or less and when I do ride, because I’m not in the best shape, I am not the most effective rider and cannot train the things I would like to because I am such a marshmallow (and currently so is Ms. Kyra).

It doesn’t help that we have had wicked heat waves, and now mega fires and smoke. Today we had red air quality. Unhealthy for everyone:disgust:. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, the weather moderates a bit and the smoke blows away and the horizon will look better? I know the horse doesn’t really care whether she is ridden or not but it dirves me nuts that she just sits and eats dollar bills (seemingly) :lol:.

Bottom line, I am not quite ready to pack it in but for the first time in my life with horses (45 ish years) I am seriously thinking about it. Maybe it is time and I can find a horse to part lease and go groom and putter around on for an hour a couple of time a week? Your mini looks like fun but heck, that would be a whole other outfit and more stuff:eek:. I love your snakes…maybe time to change course although I think my Mother would disown me:lol:?

Susan

Lauruffian, don’t beat yourself up! You have been through so much! You’re not defeated - just moving into a new phase of your life! You are exploring/expanding other interests, and maybe horses just don’t fit right now. That doesn’t mean they won’t fit somewhere down the line. It’s ok to miss it, but focus on the other things you CAN do that would help fill that void!

I think true horse people are born not made. Horses will always be a part of who you are but that doesn’t mean you have to own or even ride one to remain a horse person. I used to train several horses 7 days a week for over 20 years. Now I have two that I board and only see a few days per week but they are no less a part of who I am. Do what works for you, the horse thing will always be there for you in whatever capacity you want it to be. There is no escape!

I’ve been there, still there some days. Oddly enough, today is one of them so I can empathize.
I have a lot of health issues, mainly arthritis which leaves me in the same position you describe.
My body knows what to do if I am handling a sassy horse, but physically I just can’t follow through. Sometimes it is body weakness thing and others it seems to be brain to action disconnect, if that makes sense.
I stopped really riding when we lost my husbands mare five years ago, I rode my pony mare a little but she is now retired.
This June I lost my 33 year old gelding to a displaced colon. We had him for 25 or 26 years and he has left a giant empty place in our barn. I thought I would look for a horse I could ride to replace him and took a couple of lessons to see how I could handle it and I decided it just wasn’t worth it to ride anymore. My husband and I just bought a mini to drive. He has an interest in horses so I am lucky in that he motivates me on the occasional down day. This will be our last pony and we discussed that at length before we bought him.
I wish I had some advice to give, but I don’t. Just know you are not alone.
I think with horses everyone experience ups and downs. Some for different reasons than others.
It’s the nature of the beast. Both horses and life can throw you a curve ball sometimes.
I hope you stick with it. Your mini is cute!

[QUOTE=Lauruffian;8282039]
I’m not making any decisions any time soon, but man. After all that’s happened in the last few years, I am just feeling DONE with horses. It’s one part all the crap my body has thrown at me and is throwing at me–two back surgeries, brain surgery this past January, lingering nerve damage and muscle spasticity, balance issues, forced medical retirement–and one part the crushing heartache (heart stomping, really) I’ve endured with having to put my horses down. I have no interest in owning a full sized horse any time soon, or really at this point, ever again. At this point, I physically cannot handle a 1000lb animal–my mind knows what to do to correct a horse if they get pushy in hand, but my body isn’t there to keep up. I’ve sold off 75% of my full-size tack and just feel…done.

All I have now is my mini, who thankfully is as robust as ever and at 16 is happy to do as little as possible. (Her motto in life: “Avoid giving a crap when at all possible.”) I enjoy driving he, but man…man I miss riding.

And I think that’s a major role in my desire to just be done. I miss it all so much, but can’t do anything about it.

I won’t make any decisions as far as selling off the rest of my tack or letting go of hope completely, but, meh. I feel defeated. Mini, goats, and snakes it is, for now.

Any other equestrians with disabilities at this point, or been there?[/QUOTE]

I am there too. I got bucked off a large pony in 9/2011 and broke my neck. I am lucky; I can walk and do mostly everything again. I had to get out of riding because I am afraid if I fall again, I won’t walk, ever. I am fused thru most of my neck.

for me, I identified as a horsewoman and I am still anchorless today. I don’t have anything that I loved like I did horses.

I do a lot of fiber-related crafts and I have to deal with my mom; that is mostly all I do. and live on-line at times!

some days are worse than others and for me today is bad. I just have this longing in my heart…

if you find a solution, let me know too.

My last horse died several years ago. I had stopped replacing horses when I learned I had Multiple Sclerosis because I just.could.not.do.the.work. any more.

Luckily for me I found 2 local stables who understand my situation and are perfectly happy to profit from my 40+ years riding and training, and they do not charge me terribly much to ride. In return I ride who the ladies ask me to ride, and I try and solve the horse’s problems. Since I ride mostly at a walk I can generally handle whatever the horse dishes out. I can only ride 30 minutes at a time so progress is SLOW. In return the ladies catch the horse, groom the horse, tack up the horse, and there is always someone nearby when I ride (often my husband.) I ride three times a week, weather permitting, and one of these is my weekly riding lesson.

It took me several years after I had to stop riding my own horses before I got back into riding. There is NO WAY that I can do what I used to be able to do in the saddle, so I don’t try. I just walk around, trot a little, my riding teacher keeps correcting my position (I can’t tell where parts of my body are) and the horses seem perfectly happy to haul me around for 30 minutes of slow work. It keeps me walking on my own two feet, I help out horses, and I try to contribute what I can to the stables.

I kept my tack. I added to my tack and I plan on adding more to my collection. The saddles at the public stables often do not fit me (long femur), I like putting a clean girth on the horse (I brush them off, synthetic), and if I am to bore a horse over the months doing the same old thing over and over again I like to change the bit to give the horse some variety. I have more tack now than I did when I owned 7 horses since I never know when I will stop riding one horse regularly and end up riding a different horse who needs another saddle and bit, or if the horse does not like bits I have several bitless systems I can try. The ladies I ride with like having my collection as a back-up to their tack collection because I often have a solution to a problem that they never thought of.

Your life has not ended. You may need to break from horses to give you a chance to rest and heal. I did, then one day came when all I could think of was how to get myself back into the saddle. It took me a few more years to find my present set up, and I have been very happy riding other people’s horses ever since.

School horses deserve to be ridden by a good rider, and you would be amazed at what these horses can teach you even if they look like a worn out plug.

Can you do combined driving or obstacle driving with your mini?
That could be something that would be challenging, sometimes having a challenge can be motivating.
You posted a while back with pictures about a show you went to with the mini and had fun at. Can you do some more showing? That way you might feel more involved in horse?

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Riding makes me chronic pain so much worse and I have been told my several doctors that I should not be riding anymore. But riding is that one thing that truly makes me happy and grounded. I just don’t feel like me when I don’t ride. I know a day will come when I truly cannot ride but for now I am going to continue to ride. I am also ridiculously young (21) to be told that I should not be doing things that I love. I hate that my body is such a mess…

I gave up riding 15 years ago, and still miss it. I am now at the point with my aging pony that we are lucky to get out driving once a week. And the worst of it is that my husband feels he is just done with being, as he says, a butler for horses. I can’t blame him as he did this for me for 12 years. If I’d had to care for the horses, we wouldn’t have been able to have them. Now we are looking at boarding the one remaining pony and moving off our land. It is very hard to contemplate, but I do feel it’s fair.

Until recently, I could work my high stress job and still do a few things after work–maybe a bike ride one evening a week and one horse drive another evening, with two bike rides on weekends and one more horse drive. Now I am doing pretty much nothing in the evenings (went to bed at 8 pm last night–how pathetic is that?). My disability is getting worse (no surprise, RA is a degenerative disease) and I’m hitting the place I never wanted to get to.

If I didn’t have to work, I could bike and drive my pony far more, but I can’t retire for another seven years. I am very fearful of what kind of shape I’ll be in by then. Going on disability isn’t an option due to needing my employer’s healthcare coverage to pay for the meds that let me function at all. A private policy won’t cover them.

Lauruffian, you have definitely had far more than your fair share of medical issues, and you still have children at home. There’s nothing wrong with saying you are done with the big horses for now (or maybe for always), keep your cute little one as long as you feel able to drive her, and maybe find someplace where you can take the occasional ride as others have suggested.

There certainly is a lot of empathy and shared experience from this group. There are way too many of us who have been there, done that at some level or another. All we can do is work within the limits life hands us.

Hugs to all of us.

Rebecca

I’m coming out of this stance actually, much to my surprise.
Last year I very reluctantly agreed to share custody of my mare when it appeared my husband might not make it. He didn’t, but neither did the woman with whom I was sharing custody.
Now i’m a widow with health problems who has a horse in my life again.
I’ve been too ill to ride yet, but am thinking that’s coming soon. I’m beginning to feel like I can be a horsewoman again, and even feel well enough to camp and become ‘normal’ again.
Maybe getting my horse back is the key to getting well, or maintaining my identity even.

I hope you continue to get better Suz!

My MS did get better when I started riding regularly again. The horses have done so much for me.

Lauruffian, I haven’t posted on COTH in a while, but felt inspired to reply to your OP. I’ve been battling various maladies and health issues for the last 4ish years, and I’m teetering back and forth on the edge of “done” right now. My health story is, I was forced out of the saddle twice for long periods of time because of surgeries to remove a tumor in my jaw bone. The first surgery was a few months of recovery. When the tumor recurred, they decided to do a much more in depth surgery. They took out a large section of my jaw altogether and replaced it with the fibula in my left leg. The surgery was amazingly successful as far as my jaw is concerned, but has left me with some nerve damage in that left leg. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes it’s weak. Sometimes it doesn’t move when I tell it to. It took me about a year to be able to ride a few times a week. That only lasted for about 3 months before it was too much for my leg, and I had to quit for almost another year. I’m finally just trying to get back into it again now. Unfortunately, my wonky leg coupled with the lack of riding over the last few years has also given me some ridiculous confidence issues in the saddle.

I have a friend who has graciously offered me her mare to putz around on. But now that I’m back up on a horse, I feel like my body is falling apart, one piece after another. Normally I have to worry about my leg, but it’s been good lately. So, of course, I threw my back out this week. I am out of the saddle again for another couple of weeks probably…

Sometimes it just feels like every avenue I try to take to ride again, every different route I try, is always met with a brick wall. I just can’t seem to catch a break and get into a groove of consistent riding. And it kills me inside, because I miss it. So, so much!

I still have my 22 year old gelding, but he’s mostly retired due to bad arthritis and my own health problems. I have him on meds for the arthritis, which keeps him pasture sound 95% of the time, and Walk/Trot sound under saddle probably 75% of the time. But, he’s been out of commission the last few weeks with a bad abscess, which is still healing at this point. Hence why my friend offered me her mare. But it always seems like if I am sound, my mount is not. And if my mount is sound, I am not… Never ending cycle. So frustrating.

I feel like I’m too young to completely give up on this grand passion of mine. I only started riding in my early twenties, and I’m only 33 now… I didn’t have many years on a horse before I started having health issues. So, I hate to give it up. But some days, I feel like that’s what makes sense.

I completely feel your pain. I wish I knew the magic answer for you. I do know that it makes me feel good to have the “loaner” horse available to me – one that I can ride when I feel up to it, but not one that I feel I must keep ridden. Hopefully you can find a situation similar to that. And in the meantime, enjoy that adorable little mini…

I’m so sorry you’ve had to go through everything you have gone through. But I know that if you weren’t one hell of a strong woman, you wouldn’t be where you are today. So try to take at least a little solace in that…

{{{{{Hugs to you!}}}}}

Well you make me feel better about keeping my new horse whom I find rather boring. Like many of you I have multiple orthopedic injuries and other health issues beside getting pretty old. So I bought a dead broke small horse with 4 yrs. of professional training. He was my trainers mothers horse and she in her late seventies. You can imagine this boy is broke. Well Mom had abaad heart attack and with much coxing from her trainer son ,she let me buy him. He is a sweetheart but I am bored no challenge here, he is sane .smooth , responsive and happy.
I’m a women/girl that always liked a little drama from my horses but after reading this thread I know I did the right thing to buy him. Yes any horse can hurt you but I am calling him my old age horse, people laugh and many want to buy him. He is also a real pet and beautiful.
So for those of you giving up horses but regreting it maybe its just finding the right horse. I am embarrased at his small size but then I can mount w/o hip pain.
I believe i could teach him to lay down for mounting if need be. Also he is gaited which makes all the difference. There is no stress on my joints or spine .
Options exist. I guess I’ll keep him, oh he is only 6!

OP I feel for you… that is a ton to go though and I totally understand that it has made a dent in your soul wen it comes to horses. Absolutely fair enough. I don’t see anything wrong with taking some time to just chill. A mini will fill the gap until you decide one way or another.
Hugs to you and hope all comes clear :slight_smile:

I too am very much aware of my limitations due to older age and “good living” in my younger years. Six pills every morning, and a shot every evening. Inhalers every day. Muscles don’t recover hardly at all and I have to stop after a half a day of work. Can’t handle the heat of hot summer, so if I go outside, it’s early or late. Getting old sucks when your health gets old faster than you do. I will never get any better than I am right now. Some days are worse, some not so bad, some just good. On a good day I can tack up my big mare and take a leisurely ride for an hour or so. I don’t know how long I will be able to keep up with feeding and caring for 2 drafts, 2 minis, and 2 little donkeys, mostly by my self, as hubby is no longer able to be alone with the horses, due to his stroke.
Sooner or later, I will have to give up my beautiful horses. When that day approaches, I will start the mental process of letting go of them a little at a time, until they are “gone” before they are really gone. One will return to the rescue he came from, one will be donated to a veteran/therapy program, the mini’s will be sold as a pair, and the donkeys will be sold as a pair.
Wow, I guess I already have a plan.

Thank you all so much for your replies and kind, thoughtful, empathetic and sympathetic words. I’m sorry I didn’t come back to reply sooner; for one thing, the first day of school for my boys was Monday so we had that craziness to contend with, but for another, it’s been a bit hard to come back and face this difficult emotion and situation.

Your words resonated with me so much, though. I hesitate to quote anyone because I don’t want the others of you to feel your words did not have as much impact–man, they did. And I am grateful. I’m hanging in there and feeling it all alongside you. Thank you so much.

Yesterday I went to the barn to determined to shaved down my mini with the brand new Andis clippers I’d bought months ago. The girl is already shedding her summer coat and growing her winter one–her DNA does not recognize this is hot, hot, HOT Southern California and not the Shetland Isles–and it’s in the high 90s/101ish all this week. My barn time yesterday was the first in a long time where I spent hours alone there–summer is so hectic with both boys and my teacher-husband home–so it’s harder to get away. I groomed her, bathed her (gotta protect those new blades!), and sat in a chair and rested as she ate her breakfast and dried before I put those clippers to use.

And she was so good, so good, the whole time. The bending and reaching and whatnot is quite ridiculous when clipping these little guys, and she just patiently stood there as I did everything. Despite being off work all summer and mostly ignored beyond feeding and turnout (with one-on-one attention maybe once a week or so), she was patient and respectful. When I went to clip her face, she dropped her itchy head down so I could easily clip all the little areas without protest. Thinking about how sweet this little red-headed pony mare (strike 1, 2, 3, heh–attitude triple threat!) was during those three hours made me tear up later. It’s like I don’t remember how much I need this, and how good it is for my soul, until I go back after a long hiatus like this.

That said, the acrobatics involved in bathing and clipping combined with the heat wrecked me the rest of the day. I was weak and fatigued and I had that weird “body humming” feeling I’ve described before. I now just take it to mean I did too much–take drugs, go to bed early, and don’t do that much again the next day seems to be the main treatment. I’m bummed such simple grooming on such a little pony would wear me out like this–it affirms that trying to do so with a full-sized horse would have absolutely wrecked me–but I’m still glad I was able to do it.

I hope to take her for a drive this week, although tomorrow is the hottest day of the week so…eff that. :wink: Might have to wait until next week as we’re supposed to have below average temps then.

And because posting about bathing and clipping an adorable pony is useless without pics, here you go. :smiley:
Post-curry-combing, pre-brushing-and-bathing pic to show off just how much she’s shedding. Ri-dic-u-lous.

“I’m wet. There better be peppermints involved.”

Post-clipping: “I’m clean shaven and cute. Peppermint me.” FTR, I left her legs unclipped for fly protection.

So, wonderful COTHers, that was my morning with the mini being a mini-horsewoman.

I love the idea of riding a horse somewhere around here–like others have shared, grooming, tacking up, and schooling (such as lunging, if needed) pre-ride are what’s so overwhelming and exhausting and unmanageable. But a pleasant ride on a mellow horse happy to walk-only is a lovely thought.

I have credit with a local Arabian trainer for 3 lessons–I hope I do still, at least, it’s been a while–so maybe when the seasons start to change and it’s not stupid hot, I can head over there for something simple and casual on one of hers. My one thing is my health and medication put 25lbs on me and I feel, to put it bluntly, too fat to ride her Arabs. But, partially motivated by this, I voluntarily adjusted my eating habits to try and get some control back over my body. That took tremendous mental effort just to take that step forward as I’ve recognized I don’t have a whole lot of control over a lot of how my body behaves–that weight flew on me faster than when I was 3rd trimester pregnant when I first started that med. Of course, coming off the med resulted in me losing maybe 5lbs. Woo. But we’ll see. In the meantime–and, if my body stubbornly holds on to the weight–maybe my trainer-friend has a larger bodied horse that can manage me. I’m overweight, but not huge…I’m only 15lbs above my upper limit healthy-range BMI number. It just would be nice to look at the world through the ears of a horse again.

Thank you all again so much. Truly. Hugs and warm fuzzies and mushy stuff and crap like that. :wink:

About Arabs and weight.

When I started riding an Arab mare in her 20’s I weighed around 155 pounds. She was NOT in good shape (frozen into place with arthritis) and we walked, and walked, and walked, introduced short trots, I taught her how to fox trot, and walked some more.

She got stronger, I found a decent supplement, and she got more active. This mare is croup high, flat croup, and sort of a sway back.

In the last 2 years I lost 30 pounds, and NONE of the horses I ride seemed to have noticed. I thought they would perk up, especially the now over 30 year old mare, but no, the horses did not seem to think it was that important. These horses are Arabs and an Arab-Welsh mare, teens and over 30.

If you ride mostly at a walk I doubt the Arabs would hate you for your weight if you ride “light” in the saddle. The people at the Arab stable may think differently, but way back in the days I first got interested in Arabs one of the boasts of the breeders was that their horses could carry WEIGHT, as in heavy male riders in heavy Western saddles.

When it gets cooler and less humid I will be getting back up on the over 30 Arab mare, with me at 126 pounds using my pretty heavy Stubben Siegfried. At first it will be all walking until she “tells” me she can handle a trot. If she never can trot again it is fine by me, I owe this particular mare a lot because over the years whenever my MS got a lot worse I could ride her at a walk for 30 minutes and get my body back. Plus she is always glad to tell me whenever I don’t ride up to her standards (but she never gets mean about it) so she encourages me to keep on riding properly, even if it is just at a walk. The only reason I stopped riding her this summer is that she developed a nasty cough during the hot, muggy days when elderly people are told to not exercise outside. At over 30 she is equivalent to a 90 yr. old human so I gave her the summer off (I still groom her and rasp down her toes weekly, I did not desert her.)

Small horses can be quite good at carrying weight.