Unlimited access >

Justify DQ'd from Santa Anita Derby

1 Like

Wow.

1 Like

This isn’t something I know about – did he need the Santa Anita a qualifier to enter the Kentucky Derby?

There have been at least a couple of recent-ish threads discussing a time limit on changing a result after a horse show or event. From days to weeks, etc. I realize that racing is a very different animal, but this 5+ year time lapse to change a result seems 
 counter-productive. At best.

9 Likes

Beat me to it. I’m sure there will be an appeal from the CHRB.

BH article:

1 Like

The article I read said he got points from this race to qualify for the Derby. So now I wonder if there will be ripple effects regarding his Triple Crown results.

1 Like

Without this win in the Santa Anita Derby, he would not have qualified for the KY Derby.

2 Likes

Sounds like regardless of the outcome of this whole debacle, he’ll retain his KD win & therefore the Triple Crown.
Below is from the article shared in the OP

When asked if the ruling puts into question Justify’s Kentucky Derby win, therefore, Vienna pointed to a similar case he had previously litigated “in which a horse’s eligibility was valid until it was disproven.”

“At the time of the running of the Derby, Justifywas eligible based on the then-pending decision,” said Vienna. “Subsequently today, that decision was overturned. But at the time he participated in the Derby he had, for all intents and purposes, achieved the right to run in the Derby.”

Vienna added, “if the board had done what they should have done in the first place, he would have been disqualified, and that issue of whether he had enough points for the Derby would have been decided back then.”

4 Likes

This is good.

Changing outcomes years afterwards, even weeks afterwards, is not a good thing, at all. Fans, owners, riders, trainers, betters, all involved need confidence in the results and record books. If the double-check wasn’t done in a timely fashion, it’s too late, the results stand, should be a rule. IMO.

3 Likes

Yeah they won’t change anything with regards to the TC. He was eligible at the time he ran in the Derby so that’s all that matters. If it had been the Derby he was dq’ed from then one would consider him to no longer be a TC winner but this ruling doesn’t change anything.

2 Likes
3 Likes

What an unnecessary mess. Hopefully, from now on, State horseracing authorities will do their jobs and enforce the rules.

4 Likes

Obviously nowhere near the same caliber but many years ago I remember a horse at Penn National that kept getting bad tests. He would break his maiden then go on to run in a never win two. Then the bad test for the maiden race would pop up and he would go back and break his maiden again. Then get a bad test and go back and break his maiden again. It was crazy

2 Likes

Funny in a bad way.

There was an Ohio bred who won or placed in a number of Ohio-bred stake races and then they found out he wasn’t actually foaled in Ohio. So all his wins were voided, purses returned, and he became a maiden again:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/152572/marble-cliff-best-maiden-in-america

1 Like

Wow!

I wonder if he had a competitive advantage over the other real maidens since he knew the race day routine better. Lol.

I actually applaud connections for sticking to their guns on this one. Just sad it even had to get to this point.

Nothing useful to add, but I knew him. I worked with him at a barn he went to in between race meets. He was always my favorite and he has a special place in my heart. That big goofy and cuddly boy. <3

3 Likes