Unlimited access >

Kaley Cuoco Offers to Buy Saint Boy

I actually think you might be able to get a day lease for 1k. I know someone who flew down to WEC and she paid about 1k and did the 1.10; I think two classes. Her horse that she was supposed to bring was lame (sorry off topic)

Oh I should mention they don’t vet these horses to make sure they actually have show experience at that level or aren’t a really quirky ride. It’s probably different since it’s the olympics, but they literally just asked me. That was all they were going to do. They didn’t ask for his show name or anything.

I would not be surprised if some of those horses were very nice meter packers but were being overfaced at the 1.20.

2 Likes

I’ll update if I can find it again, but a tiktok “detective” looked up a lot of the horses, as they were listed on the Olympic’s website. A number of them, and I think Saint Boy, were owned by riding clubs in Japan. Also, a number of the horses had FEI records where they placed and won. Now, the person didn’t open the records to see where/when/what they showed in, but if anyone is inclined, this all seems pretty easy to look up.

As for Ms. Cuoco, who I really DO like, I feel like she came in a week and a half late and a bit of savior complex. No mention of the entire situation, the other horses, ignoring that the conversations were being had by important people on the future of this ‘sport’, not to mention she posted about a dozen stories to her IG story singing her praises for making this claim that she’d buy the horse for any price. I guess it got her the press she was looking for? Her heart’s in the right place with animal welfare, obviously, but this seemed… I don’t know. A little self-serving.

11 Likes

Haven’t you ever been at a show and watched a PLAINLY NICE horse get donkeyed like crazy and thought to yourself “I would write a check for that horse right now.” Well she felt the same, only she actually CAN write a blank check and she’s famous and she said it on IG. She’s a horse person at heart, and I think this stems from the same feeling a lot of us have when we see a nice horse getting a crappy ride “man I wish that horse was mine instead.”

35 Likes

Agreed - even without the donkeying! I’ve seen quite a few nice horses close to me and there was one in particular I just wished I had the capital to walk up to the owner and be like “name your price”. She was a seriously nice mare that just captured my eye. I’ve also had people over the years come up to me after a round or class and ask if the horse I was riding was for sale. It’s not that uncommon in the horse industry and it hurts no one to ask/offer.

3 Likes

Yup, same. If someone wants to buy your horse it’s a compliment. I don’t see this situation as being all that far removed.

I’m not on Instagram so I don’t know the context, but if I had the money to ask people who owned nice horses if they wanted to sell those nice horses, I would be paying for a lot of shoes.

10 Likes

In the Olympic thread people said horses typically undergo a “jury ride” by a professional to weed out any obviously unsuitable horses.

5 Likes

Yeah, I have.

But, I also didn’t spend the next few days reposting people singing my praises for saying I’d buy the horse. Again and again and again - please remember they expire after 24 hours, for anyone who’s not familiar with IG stories.

That’s what made me roll my eyes at the “offer”, not to mention she singled out the one horse that made news when sooooo many of those horses were crashed and burned.

1 Like

I mean, she’s human. She likes horses and attention. I’m not sure why that warrants such scorn. She’s not claiming to be a UN ambassador here. She’s pissed at what she saw and she’d like to buy this horse so it doesn’t happen to him again. And she wants people who might not be well informed about equestrian events to know that pentathlon is not jumpers.

21 Likes

Therein lies the rub, I suppose. I’m a fairly decent rider. Lord knows I’ve encountered many horses a pro could get over 1.20m but I couldn’t.

Add me to the list of people who don’t get this event. I finally Googled to see what a non-modern pentathelon entailed. It was essentially the foundation of the ancient Olympics & designed to test the skills most advantageous to a soldier of the time: a long jump, discus throwing, javelin throwing, a foot race, & wrestling. Everyone thought this was cool until the early 1900s, when someone decided that the most important skills for soldiers had changed & the Modern Pentathelon was born. At the time, riding was a necessary skill for a soldier. (General Patton competed in the Modern Pentathelon at the 1912 games. I’m guessing he never had to punch a horse…) Seems to me it’s time for another reboot now that cavalries are largely ceremonial & few soldiers find themselves fighting with a sword or bayonet. Another question I have is why not limit participation to active duty military while we’re at it?

I have no doubt 19th century cavalry jumped stuff. But why show jumping & not cross country? Or an endurance ride? Or something like this absolute bada$$ did? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow

2 Likes

I think she’s amazing, but I always find it amazing how people pick and choose. What about offering to buy all of Andy Kocher‘s abused horses? I think that situation was safe for her to comment on because it’s not in her inner circle of show jumping.

6 Likes

Goodness, a fellow equestrian wants to offer to buy a horse that she saw mistreated and probably thought he would be a nice horse to have around. Now, because she hasn’t offered to buy EVERY horse who has been mistreated, she’s suspect?

And OF COURSE she enjoyed some of the attention that the post brought her, isn’t that why most of us post of social media to begin with? If we didn’t enjoy the attention, we wouldn’t bother posting.

In short, it was a nice thing to do, it does not solve all of the problems with MP or with horse abuse in general, and Kaley probably had no intention of saving the world, she just wanted to spoil Saint Boy. I do too.

30 Likes

Well, he’s a horse dealer, so presumably he would actually be quite happy for someone to buy all of his horses so that he could bring a bunch more horses into his barn. It would essentially just support him in staying active in the horse world.

13 Likes

Oh FFS… do rescues save all the horses? It’s not possible, but they do what they can. She offered to save this one bc the misery was obvious and enough was enough. Why do people have such a problem with acts of kindness? Just ponder it for a second, think about how nice it was of her to offer, and move along. Nothing to see here…

18 Likes

It’s a discussion board. We’re discussing. Why do people have such a problem with people who have different opinions than their own? Just ponder it for a second, think about how nice it would be if everyone agreed with you, and move along.

2 Likes

I’ve looked into saint boy’s FEI record. He’s jumped 145cm classes. Not a stellar record but not bad either.

1 Like

I’m guessing that was with someone who actually knew how to ride.

6 Likes

Multiple people who knew how to ride

She has money she can offer to buy any horse she wants that’s no the part I take issue with.

The part I take issue with is the implication that the owner is unfit and that this horse doesn’t have a good home. She also wasn’t the only one doing it. I read some of the comments on Facebook and they were gross. Comments like “please send him to the US where we can rescue him and treat him right!” Ummm… hate to break it to you guys but if you knew what the US was doing to mustangs you’d maybe stop throwing stones at some unknown Japanese sport horse owner… just sayin.

I agree the picture looked like it was taken at a different time or something… but the comments again, were way out of line. Like what do you think just because the horse lives in Japan he got chopped up and put in a stew?! The horse has has an FEI record… he’ll be fine people.

I share the outrage about modern pentathlon organizers, the German coach, the riders etc, but the outrage about this horse’s owner and how he clearly needs saving…sorry that to me smells of covert racism.

zips up fire suit

9 Likes

I am not familiar with who ms. Cuoco is, but if she has the money( and fame?) to state a " name your price" offer, maybe she should put some of that money into getting this " supposed sport" stopped altogether?

Ever heard of Ferdinand?

16 Likes