Unlimited access >

Kaley Cuoco Offers to Buy Saint Boy

I think it has more than a little to do with the fact that buying 1 horse that you like the looks of, no matter what the price tag is, is vastly less involved than trying to get a sport banned from the Olympics.

1 Like

Easier yes, but if animal welfare is the reason it sounds like this person has the resources to help many horses who may suffer the same treatment. It has to start with someone.

Iā€™m not sure how many riders are really at that level lol like Iā€™ve done 1.45m a few times and 1.20m more than I can count and I ride much better than these pentathletes and I really think I would struggle in this event. I think I would have a good round with some maybe iffy jumps and maybe a few poles down but I donā€™t think itā€™d be easy at all. Iā€™ve thought about it a lot and Iā€™ve done similar stuff like jumping pretty high (1.30ish) with sale horses Iā€™m trying for clients that I donā€™t know well and Iā€™ve always done fine but it gives me a little anxiety every time. Iā€™m not like a full time gp rider but Iā€™m generally pretty confident and donā€™t get scared that easily.

Iā€™m sure plenty of pros could do this well but likeā€¦ people who are full time riders and very good and used to jumping much higher. How many people here really feel like they could have a good 1.20m course with a horse they donā€™t know? Do these people even train at this height? I really doubt it but idk this whole event is foreign to me.

I just think the concept is pretty absurd. there are very few riders that could realistically do this very well and the ones that could are smarter than that lol.

11 Likes

If a horse owner sees the type of riding exhibited at MP, and continues to loan the horse to the program, yeahā€¦ theyā€™re not behaving in the horseā€™s best interest.

After seeing what I saw, I would NEVER loan a horse to it, and would discourage anyone I know from doing so. And Iā€™ve loaned my Old Man Horse to many-a program, but those people were actually trying to learn how to ride correctly, instead of using the horse as a ā€œphaseā€ to get to a medal welfare be damned.

12 Likes

I mean, itā€™s not a common concept in the US, but itā€™s not unheard of either. Iā€™ve said this on the MP thread, but there are shows out there where you draw a horse (for the show) and go, with like 6 warm up jumps. I did one in Ecuador, but I know Colombia used to have at least one as well that was under FEI jurisdiction, and I donā€™t know about others that are out there.

There are videos somewhere on my YouTube channel from it if you search ā€œTornado.ā€ Itā€™s really not a disaster. And I was just doing the junior jumpers at the time, it wasnā€™t like I did it when Iā€™d been in the GP ring for several years.

I think 1.20m is much too big for people who arenā€™t riders by training, but we do have kind of a complex about that height in general in this country. Build a soft 1.20m course that isnā€™t super technical and ride FORWARD, and I think it would surprise some people how many horses could jump around it. Some pony jumpers in Europe jump 1.30m.

4 Likes

In the German press thereā€™s an interview with A. Schleu, where she says that the owner was present and even gave her tips on how to enter the arena and approach the fences after Saint boyā€™s performance with the Russian. So yeah, presumably not the best oneā€¦

6 Likes

If anything, that sort of makes the whole thing sound worse.

As if the owner knew full well there would likely be an issue, and still let the horse go out there with her. And presumably did nothing to throw in the towel on the horseā€™s behalf, literally or otherwise, when things went south before she even got started.

7 Likes

Does the horse have a different FEI name? Because Iā€™m not seeing a ā€œSaint Boyā€ in the database.

saintā€™a boy Is his FEI name

1 Like

Hereā€™s his statistics:

It seems that the horse is experienced enough to jump a 1.20m courseā€¦when his brain isnā€™t fried!
Saint Boy was abused by both his riders & the German trainer, betrayed by his owner, fell victim of the on-site vetā€™s incompetence, by the UIPM rulebook & all the officialsā€¦ All this at the Olympics (you know, the highest level of this sport) in front of the whole world.
In addition, the horse looked miserable even in the update videos (if it was him at all).
So itā€™s no wonder that Mrs Cuoco offers to provide him with a well-deserved retirement home!
Edit my post to include also the annoying intend by some medias to portrait the situation as ā€œmalicious attempt by the horse to sabotage the poor German athleteā€. Something that many of us equestrians, Mrs.Cuoco included, surely despiseā€¦

8 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting illustration of his history.

How old is he?

Heā€™s 15, born in 2006. Hereā€™s his starts by years

1 Like

Interesting, thanks.

I would love to see him end up with Kaley Cuoco, living his best life.

8 Likes

Never going to happen. I know zero horse owners that would take kindly to being put on blast on social media. Especially not an extremely wealthy owner like saint boyā€™s owner probably is. Could any of us seriously imagine selling a horse to a lady who was reposting articles singing her praises for attempting to buy YOUR horse and saying ā€œIā€™m still waiting every 12 hoursā€ā€¦ hell no.

If she was serious about this, sheā€™d quietly get her people to contact the owners and put in an offer. Nobody puts the owners on blast on Instagram and expect them to do business with you. This is for attention.

10 Likes

We shall see.

If a famous multimillionaire made it clear I could name my own price for her to provide a great home for my 16-year-old horse that had demonstrated in the most public possible way that he did not necessarily want to do his job anymore, I would be contacting her in a heartbeat.

11 Likes

Isnā€™t he owned by a riding club in Japan?

1 Like

I understood it that though most of the horses loaned in this case were owned by the riding school, this particular (and a few others) were privately owned (but lived at the same riding school).

2 Likes

Even if that person was implying that you were an unfit owner that didnā€™t care about your horse? I mean that offer would be tempting for someone like me but I also donā€™t have ā€œFU moneyā€ā€¦ if I did, Iā€™d be saying ā€œFU heā€™s not for saleā€ or possibly ā€œFU, the price is 10 million.ā€ And if you already own a horse like saint boy, chances are you probably do have ā€œFU moneyā€.

1 Like

She said name your price.

If the owner of just about any horse in the real show jumping at the Olympics turned down $10,000,000, that owner would need their head examined. Much less the owner of a 16 year old horse that did not get around the ring in the pentathlon.

11 Likes

Unless you have ā€œFUā€ money. We donā€™t know that they would turn it down or not. Iā€™m just saying, if it was me and I had that kind of money, Iā€™d be pissed and want nothing to do with some rich white celebrity throwing a temper tantrum and being passive aggressive on Instagram. And if i did swallow my pride and take her up on her offer, youā€™d better believe Iā€™d attach a super unreasonable price tag.

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m saying if Kaley was legitimately interested in purchasing this horse out of the kindness of her heart, sheā€™d just quietly get her people to get her in contact with the owner. Instead sheā€™s acting like a brat on Instagram.JMHO.

10 Likes