Keeneland Sept

We make placement requests to our consignor, who then makes placement recommendations to Keeneland. Keeneland then does what they think is best.

I “test the water” by watching other people’s horses sell early on. There’s a real skill to correctly placing a horse in a sale this size–and if it’s done right it can have a huge impact on price. I would never ask for a horse to be placed where it didn’t belong just to see what might happen.

By the way, placement refers to which book a horse is in (and to a lesser extent, which day). After that, it’s all alphabetical.

2 Likes

Well, this session has started out with a bang.:slight_smile:

That was a lovely AP colt that sold for 1.3 million. The Nyquist colt out of an Unbridled’s Song mare was nice.

Nice More Than Ready filly. I like MTR’s get.

Runhappy filly sold well.

Second Runhappy filly sold well. Both nice.

Anyone know who the agents “EC” and “Roger” and “Ralph” are? The auctioneer frequently addresses both and they’re actively bidding. Or are they spotters?

Oh Laurie, your friend’s filly is lovely!

the 1.1 million MD’Oro filly was all class out there. all class.

Filly, a half to Beholder, Mendelssohn, Into Mischief by AP 8.2 million.

1 Like

$8.2 million for the American Pharoah-Leslie’s Lady filly! Gulp. Of course, even if she never sets foot on a track she’s still very valuable as a broodmare.

Had to be a bidding war between Coolmore and Godolphin

Could be someone else, maybe Pope, who has a stellar broodmare band.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I wonder if she’ll race…

It was Mandy Pope.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope she will race, but couldn’t blame the owner if she just kept her for breeding.
Whatever the decision, the filly will have a good life.:yes:

Wonder if the AP x Maryinsky colt is a looker. If he is, he should be popular. Godolphin may want him though they’ve not bought an AP yet at this sale so perhaps they won’t.

Magnier sure is supporting AP.

He’s at Coolmore but I remember reading that the feud may be over?

There’s a nice Runhappy filly in the ring now.

I was surprised he topped out when he did. That’s a phenomenal female family.

I think whomever was bidding knew that Mandy Pope wasn’t going to stop. Do you know who was bidding for the filly against Pope?

Nice article. Thanks!

China Horse Club bought him for 525K.

Sheikh Mo was the under bidder on the Leslie’s Lady/AP filly. So excited to see her go to Mandy Pope!