Keeneland Sept

Interesting, thanks!

I can’t find any of his conformation photos in a large enough format, so I can’t see what made me think he wasn’t tall.

Agree. I was surprised when I went to Coolmore that most of the stallions are on the medium sized side. The young man who did the tour said they are 16-16.1h, with Justify being larger than the norm. No science behind this, but it takes more energy to move more mass, and there has to be some sort of effeciency quotient involved with something that weighs 1,000 lbs and needs to go very fast and is a certain shape, plus deal with the curve balls that get thrown at you during a race. Rags to Riches is probably no more than 16 h, and if you watch her Belmont, she falls on her face coming out of the gate, gets bumped 5 wide on the turn, and still manages to out duel the much larger Curlin. I suspect if he would have had her trip and she his, she would have won by daylight. He would not have recovered from the start.

I think Arrogate was a legitimate Triple Crown horse, he was a beast when he was right. He was just “right” during the wrong time of year. But he is big, and like Justify, did not hold together long.

I found this article from 2015: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/108817/pedigree-analysis-is-bigger-always-better

Came across this video of Nasrullah arriving at Claiborne in 1950: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7lzagGyD1I

2 Likes

Wow. That’s amazing. Thank you for sharing it.

Hopefully not to ignorant a question… was he known to have a, shall we say, spicy temperament or just the feel goods after a long shipment?

He was quite a handsome horse for sure!

Thank you, very cool to see him after seeing his name in so many pedigrees over the years.

From everything I have read, *Nasrullah would have never been exported from Europe if he hadn’t been so tough to handle, and they were not able to deworm or vaccinate him while he was at Claiborne.

Yes, apparently he was hell on wheels. :lol:

He was a notorious rogue who apparently behaved a little better with a change of handlers and farm :yes:. He never became easy, but was apparently much better suited to Claiborne and the handlers there, than he was to the farm in Ireland.

He remained a dangerous stallion and was handled very carefully, by very skilled people who knew that if there was a fight, the horse would win, and they avoided pushing him beyond his limit.

1 Like

And yes, despite his temperament, he was such an influential sire.

I could tell the handlers were treating him with care but also figured the entire move to Claiborne would have been stressful anyway and not quite as easy as today. He sure did look a handful.

Nice to see him end up at a place where he was more suited :slight_smile:

I visited Ashford once and IIRC Giant’s Causeway had thick bone and a big, muscular butt and shoulder.

I wasn’t implying that “I” myself would view the repository. I was implying the “I” as in those I have representing me to review such files for what horses “I” and interested in who access them and review them on behalf of “I”. Follow along?

Oh, so you are in the market for some racehorses?

No, not really. I doubt that anyone is believing any of this. You’re not even using the word “repository” correctly (again).

I have no idea why you are so determined to present yourself here as something you aren’t. Especially since there are numerous posters who actually do what you pretend to do. This is just getting old. :rolleyes:

3 Likes

Not really, since you are not an owner, trainer, breeder, agent, or even hot walker. So why would you send someone to the sale to represent you?

GC is interesting to me for non-racing reasons… Any idea why his offspring are humongous? Where does it come from? I have seen at least twenty of his, off of the top of my head that are 17h+. All from very different mares. I assume that they ended up not being very successful in part maybe to how big they are. I looked at a 17h 3 y/o at a track local to me a few years ago and still remember being floored with how huge she was for so young an age.

The Repository is a place where records are kept. It is not something that you “view”.

I don’t believe anyone wants to “follow along” with the fantasies in your head.

Why do you keep on with this nonsense when it is clear that you have no idea what you are talking about? What do you gain by proving your ignorance over and over again?

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s best to just put the phone down or step away from the computer instead of keep things fresh in the minds of readers and removing all doubts.

1 Like

No–if anything his pedigree tends the other way. His sire, Storm Cat, was medium sized. And his dam was by Rahy who was quite small. His 2nd dam was named “Immense”, however. Maybe that’s a clue? :lol:

On a separate topic, while looking for stallion height measurements, I believe I’ve found the source for Vineyridge’s pedigree knowledge.

GC’s babies didn’t get their height from his damsire Rahy who was 15.1. http://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/rahy.html No height info on Mariah’s Storm but Roberto is back there and he sired Dynaformer who I think was 17h.

You never know though, what will come popping out from the past as far as pedigrees are concerned. That’s what makes breeding interesting, and frustrating.