Unlimited access >

Keeping a colt with a mare

So my mare is due in July ( a late breeding) if I wait until spring to geld him (assuming its a colt) that would make him 9 months…should I separate him from the 2 mares he will live with before this?

Sorry first time breeder and this suddenly popped into my head!

Assuming that they aren’t pregnant, I would. It’s probably not that likely he would be able to successfully get one pregnant, but it’s not impossible either, and if he’s at all obnoxious he may end up getting kicked or injured.

2 Likes

So at what age should I separate them?

We usually separate ours at around 6-7 months. We did have one a few years ago that was already so bad by then that he got gelded at six months despite being a pretty well bred TB. If you already know he’s not a stallion prospect and you live somewhere where the winter’s not completely crazy you could just geld him earlier.

1 Like

Thanks! Stallion quality or not, I plan on keeping him so will be gelding him for sure!

I usually wean mine at 8 -9 months of age. Those that needed to be gelded were usually done while still on the mare; so, they would be gelded at 8 months and then weaned one month later. I found that my colts have done better with both the weaning and the gelding this way. Fillies usually are weaned at 8 months unless mom decided to do it sooner.

3 Likes

Agree with this. Let them get over gelding while they still have mamma for comfort. Winter seems like a fine time to take care of that.

1 Like