Unlimited access >

Keeping calm

I own a young TB/warmblood cross that is currently training to be a jumper. I realize many jumpers are hot, and I am fine with that, and my horse is light and listens even at shows(or show - we’ve only been to one). But my trainer has other ideas-she wants him to have calming pastes before shows, and I disagree. Yes, he’s green, but a very good horse. She mostly trains hunters and I feel like that she wants him to bee one. So I guess my question is this-what would you do? Is it ethical, or even necessary to give it to him? We have a schooling show in 4 days and I am still debating this. Will a bad show if I don’t give it to him hurt his training? Please help!:confused:

Oh- she’s also the only trainer within 50 miles, so I can’t find a new one.

Short answer: it’s your horse. Your decision is the one that counts.

Yep. Your horse, your $, your decision. It will absolutely not harm his training to not give him a calming supplement. The best thing for him is to get out to shows and gain experience, which it sounds like you are trying to do.

Most calming supplements are of questionable value anyway. The ones that DO work are pretty much all banned substances, use of which can get you banned, fined, or both depending on the rules of whatever governing body you are showing under (USEF, Equine Canada, etc.). If you are at the lower levels, then it may not technically be banned, but I would certainly say that it is unethical.

Here is an interesting article about calming substances/drugs: http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/carolina-gold-newest-face-old-problem

I’d agree with the others on this one. Being a trainer myself, calming supplements should really only be used when absolutely necessary, especially a chemical one that is very highly concentrated. It is much better to let the horse figure their way around and learn by experience without the use of any drug.

I would only use it if you are worried about him becoming uncontrollable, or not being able to take in the work with a level head. It is okay and totally natural for them to get excited or even nervous. As long as they remember you are there and they trust you, you’ll be just fine :slight_smile:

Another option, if he is a little jittery and you’d like him to be calmer and more ready to listen but not “drugged up”, try giving him a teaspoon of chamomile in his grain, twice a day (the day before the show and the day of the show)

Remember to keep yourself calm and level headed so you can help your horse do the same :slight_smile:
Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all the responses:). I feel better now. I will plan on not giving it to him, and seeing how it goes, then I will work from there. My trainers not happy about it, but now I feel like it is the right choice. Thanks!

Chamomile is on the forbidden substances list, FYI

Don’t tell my trainer, but I think the calming pastes do more for her than they do for my horse. I think a good early morning lunge does more for most horses than the pastes (but of course everyone’s mileage may vary, you know your own horse best yadda yadda).

If you don’t want to give it to him, but you don’t want grief, just lie to your trainer. If you are doing any part of your own care at the show it’s super easy to say that he had his paste in his morning feed.

[QUOTE=avesane;8314427]
Don’t tell my trainer, but I think the calming pastes do more for her than they do for my horse. I think a good early morning lunge does more for most horses than the pastes (but of course everyone’s mileage may vary, you know your own horse best yadda yadda).

If you don’t want to give it to him, but you don’t want grief, just lie to your trainer. If you are doing any part of your own care at the show it’s super easy to say that he had his paste in his morning feed.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I actually did that for our first show. It was a schooling show at home and i told her I gave the whole tube like she said but only gave half(I was playing it safe) and we won every class except equitation. And the paste I was using is EquiCalm, is that any good? Is it banned?

The writing of the OP was familiar so I took a look - Are you no longer with the trainer who trained horses for the GP?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?466346-New-horse-help!!

As far as banned substances, definitely familiarize yourself with the rules of whatever governing body you show under. The rules vary and you wouldn’t want to be caught out and suspended for simply not knowing what’s allowed and what isn’t.

I cannot understand why the rule, which seems really simple, completely eludes people.
ANYTHING you give the horse with the INTENT of altering its performance is illegal. It doesn’t matter if it works or if it is on a list, from the perspective of the rule. Obviously in the real world if you don’t get caught/the substance doesn’t test, you can “get away with it,” but that doesn’t make it within the spirit of the rule.

yes that was me, But this is yet another trainer. She moved to a barn in Ocala(So jealous!)

I read the COTH calming cover story (poorly worded, I know) and was looking for a place to comment without starting a new thread… OP, you go with your gut!!!

As for the article, not to hijack, but boy, was my mind blown by the rationalizing. Let me read between the lines, are you (trainers interviewed) saying “well, longe-til-dead is too hard on our horses’ legs”? *Are you saying that, in divisions where “suitability and manners” are to especially count, your junior and ammy horses are thoroughly unsuitable for their riders? Hey, it’s the economy, the industry, the demands of our clients…

I guess there’s honesty in the horse world after all. Calming supplements are needed to keep horses sound and riders safe. I know this was always a thing. 20 years ago, from whence I came, it was a thing and folks were crying then that we weren’t making horsemen, and riders who could ride, anymore but still…mind blown.

I show my horse in the jumpers. He can be a complete wild thing hacking around and in the warm up, but turns into a complete professional when he steps into the ring. We live through the rest of it, making adjustments to compensate for the silliness that goes on. If the horse gets the job done, why deal with that nonsense?

[QUOTE=avesane;8314427]

If you don’t want to give it to him, but you don’t want grief, just lie to your trainer. If you are doing any part of your own care at the show it’s super easy to say that he had his paste in his morning feed.[/QUOTE]

Don’t lie to your trainer. You hold the money and the power. Stand up for your horse and for clean sport.

And FWIW, your horse doesn’t sound too bad. I have made up hunters and right now I have a hot baby dressage horse. So much of getting green horses to be calm is being skilled about teaching them to do their job… so that they understand it and can be calm for reasons of self-confidence.

Just take your horse to the little show and focus on giving him a good experience. Get as far into your day of competing in the ring as his mind will let you. If he needs to play on the lunge early to blow off some steam without getting in trouble, that’s ok. But it’s even smarter to offer him a handwalk around the place first. Sometimes horses just need time to look and think. If you can get him to “make his peace” with the busy show grounds this way, you saved his legs and also taught him how to chill.

When you saddle him and ride him, go slowly, insisting that he does all the normal stuff like stand still, focus enough on you that he’s not screaming for a buddy, keeps his head at a normal level, doesn’t paw tied to the trailer. Let him know that the same rules apply at the show as apply at home.

If you can teach a horse that you’ll give him the same job and treatment no matter what, no matter where he is or what’s going on, he’ll learn to find safety in just listening to his rider.

If this were my horse, I’d let his rideability decide whether or not I actually showed him. And it would also tell me whether or not I’d try to be competitive or slow, relaxed and careful while I was on course.

If you do this enough-- and with an eye to what’s going on in your horse’s mind-- you can teach them how to go to a horse show. They don’t come out of the box knowing that!

Maybe this is all obvious to you and your pro. I hope so. I write all of it because it might not be. Maybe some people aren’t good at teaching young horses, and that’s why they look for chemical solutions. Your horse definitely sounds trainable, OP.

And how do you know if you were right, trainer was wrong and he didn’t need a calming paste? He ends the day calmer than when he started it.

mvp, I completely agree. We are showing at home, so he knows the grounds well. I always try to warm up the same in shows, as that gives a sense of normalcy. I actually want to try it without the paste to get a baseline, as well. Because its expensive, and if he does’t need it he’s not getting it.

[QUOTE=asterix;8315132]
I cannot understand why the rule, which seems really simple, completely eludes people.
ANYTHING you give the horse with the INTENT of altering its performance is illegal. It doesn’t matter if it works or if it is on a list, from the perspective of the rule. Obviously in the real world if you don’t get caught/the substance doesn’t test, you can “get away with it,” but that doesn’t make it within the spirit of the rule.[/QUOTE]

SIGH

here let me highlight what you are missing. It is not about cost

it is that INTENTION to give to calm is against the rules

THE INTENTION

and yes to counter something advised by other poster

chamomile is illegal, it is listed clearly in the drugs and medications guideline book at the USEF site

take charge of your horse. you cannot be so blind to the other very long threads about these issues and how owners, those who hold the $$$, must take a stand