Unlimited access >

Keeping old leather in storage for a year: Help!

I have some old leather show halters with plates from my favorite prior show horses. I know I could keep just the plates but I’d really like to keep the halters intact to hang in the den of my new house that I’m building. The problem is the house won’t be built for a year or so and I’ll be traveling light until then mostly on the road showing my horses. Does anyone know of a way to store leather for a year or more without it turning green and moldy and nasty? Can you wrap them with anything? Put them in plastic bags? Any help and experience welcome. Thank you.

[QUOTE=equisusan;7289424]
I have some old leather show halters with plates from my favorite prior show horses. I know I could keep just the plates but I’d really like to keep the halters intact to hang in the den of my new house that I’m building. The problem is the house won’t be built for a year or so and I’ll be traveling light until then mostly on the road showing my horses. Does anyone know of a way to store leather for a year or more without it turning green and moldy and nasty? Can you wrap them with anything? Put them in plastic bags? Any help and experience welcome. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

That would be the worst ever thing to do!!

You want to avoid humidity.
I would try to find a wood box that allow air circulation and find a storage place that is as dry as possible.

Would you have access to your halters once in a while to condition them? (like maybe once every 2-3 months?) That could help.

[QUOTE=alibi_18;7289435]
That would be the worst ever thing to do!!

You want to avoid humidity.
I would try to find a wood box that allow air circulation and find a storage place that is as dry as possible.

Would you have access to your halters once in a while to condition them? (like maybe once every 2-3 months?) That could help.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I’ll be anywhere near them for a year or more. What if I put them in a climate controlled storage unit in a wood box?? or one of those breathable cotton storage containers for clothes??

I have some tack that has been in storage for YEARS - and is still in good shape.

My routine - leather gets well oiled once a year (either olive oil or a dressing like Lederbalsam).

It then goes into a cotton pillow case, and tossed into a tack trunk which has one of these (Damp Rid bucket) in it to control moisture.

I’ve heard that Ko-Cho-Line is the product of choice when storing leather for the long term, though I’ve never tried it. I just clean and condition the tack and cover it with something - for halters and bridles, and old pillow case works well. Check every so often to make sure the leather’s in good trim; condition when/if necessary.

Oh thank you Appsolute and Kitt… I knew someone on COTH would have done this before.

Condition it well and put it somewhere climate controlled - this helps prevent mold. No plastic; a wooden box might be a good idea and would help guard against mice. Leather, especially good leather that has at some point been well cared for, is pretty resilient. I just revived a pair of cowboy boots that were tossed in my mom’s basement and left untouched for TWENTY YEARS. They were dirty when they went in and have been in low and high humidity, dust, spiderwebs, and at one point the basement kinda flooded. I pulled them out and went to work with a good leather conditioner and they actually look presentable. I used Leather Keep by the Australian Stock Saddle Co. and it does an excellent job. It also helps prevent mold and dry rot in the stitching. I wouldn’t be concerned, just condition it well and tuck it away safely so nothing gets its teeth on it.

[QUOTE=sterling2000;7289536]
Condition it well and put it somewhere climate controlled - this helps prevent mold. No plastic; a wooden box might be a good idea and would help guard against mice. Leather, especially good leather that has at some point been well cared for, is pretty resilient. I just revived a pair of cowboy boots that were tossed in my mom’s basement and left untouched for TWENTY YEARS. They were dirty when they went in and have been in low and high humidity, dust, spiderwebs, and at one point the basement kinda flooded. I pulled them out and went to work with a good leather conditioner and they actually look presentable. I used Leather Keep by the Australian Stock Saddle Co. and it does an excellent job. It also helps prevent mold and dry rot in the stitching. I wouldn’t be concerned, just condition it well and tuck it away safely so nothing gets its teeth on it.[/QUOTE]

Yea no rats… yuck… hate rats! Thanks

I stored some tack coated in Vaseline for over a year. It was stirrup leathers and reins. My only question is whether the stitching on the halter might be damaged by the Vaseline. The stitching on my tack was not effected, but I think there may be more exposure with the halter stitching.

[QUOTE=STA;7289583]
I stored some tack coated in Vaseline for over a year. It was stirrup leathers and reins. My only question is whether the stitching on the halter might be damaged by the Vaseline. The stitching on my tack was not effected, but I think there may be more exposure with the halter stitching.[/QUOTE]
I remember doing this a long time ago and the tack in question had suffered no ill effects. But it was cheap tack and I wouldn’t have been too upset, really.
Haven’t been able to bring myself to wrap up my lovely, expensive, oversize tack in vaseline yet. Even with nothing but little cobby-headed horses to hang bridles from since… 2005?