Unlimited access >

Keeping Saddle pads white

What are your secrets for washing saddle pads? Most have embroidery, so heavy bleach is a problem. Tips/Tricks?

I’m not sure how much good it would do with things that have already been washed/dried and had stains set that way, but I always soak my white pads in our laundry tub with detergent for an hour or two before actually putting them in the washing machine. I’ll also put detergent directly on the pad as a spot treatment if there are any marks as opposed to general dirtiness, and depending on pad material and the severity of the mark, I’ll scrub the spots with a brush and detergent before putting in the washing machine too.

It may be overkill but everyone is always baffled by how white my half pads stay and I even managed to get a purple Quic Silver spot out of my white cotton show pad with this strategy so it definitely works for me.

3 Likes

You can try Oxyclean rather than chlorine bleach. An Oxyclean paste kept damp in hot sun will do a lot of whitening. Don’t put it over colored bits

Vacuuming saddle pads before washing them is my go-to move for all saddle pads. I find they come out much cleaner when all the loose hair and dirt is removed first. I’ve had white saddle pads I’ve vacuumed during shedding season that have looked clean just from removing the hair.

1 Like

Scotchguard them before they get dirty :rofl: then they’re much easier to return to white!

2 Likes

Having a clean horse?

Sorry, that was meant for a laugh.

I have had reasonable luck with Oxyclean.

The thing that seems to make a difference is washing them when they are dirty, not waiting for a load and letting the sweat and dirt dry into the pad. Washing them when I am done with that pad that day.

Which is clearly a real nuisance.

When the kiddos showed needing white saddle pads, we had designated pads for showing. They were only used for the show and washed immediately after (soaking and all that). This kept them pristine for the showring. When they no longer looked perfect, they were moved down the food chain to daily use, and eventually, into dog bed or barn cat bed use. We had the same policy with white breeches --new pair for show --launder ASAP after show, and when no longer perfect, went to daily wear. I am currently wearing DD “not show worthy” white breeches and using her “not show worthy” white pad for my own dressage practice --she shows, I don’t.

11 Likes

Do you only scotchguard white pads or do you do it for all?

I am moderately intrigued
 I would never have thought of this. I have a brand new white ogilvy friction-free dressage pad with navy embroidery that I might consider this for. I was resigning myself to just having to go for a full soak and scrub then wash once it gets put into use.

Historically I’ve only done the white ones but I’m considering it for all new purchases (just haven’t bought any in a while, I have plenty :rofl:).

You can avoid the problem with a Paint horse. Either the pad or the horse will look yellow no matter how clean they both are. That’s why I like pastels. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

If you’re using it everyday use a baby pad underneath it

—> Wash after almost every use. I’m a little nuts about saddle pads.

—> Immediately after untacking, hit it with Spray ‘n’ Wash. It works better for me than Oxy spray. Be sure to spray over a sink or outdoors or in the wash stall. It’s slippery on floors.

—> At home, rinse in a sink and then soak with no more than a teaspoon of Orvis. Agitate (squeeze but don’t wring) by hand. If you’re an Oxy fan, use Oxy. For me, Orvis is superior — I often use it on my own laundry, particularly towels and linens. If you use more than a teaspoon, you will drown in suds. And if you overdo Orvis in your machine, GOOD LUCK. In that case you’ll want to Google the solution to the unfortunate circumstance known as suds lock.

—> Launder in a giant lingerie-type bag. They’re marketed for washing dog beds and blankies. They keep the hair in the bag and out of your washer.

—> Restoration powder is amazing. (That’s it. That’s the name. Restoration.) It’s available (as are Orvis and the wash bag) at the online place where everything in the world is available. Like Orvis, it’s used by textile restorers. It’s pricey, but it’s your best tool for removing very old stains and reviving neglected fabric.

—> You wouldn’t dream of putting saddle pads in the dryer on a setting other than air, right? Right.

What do you use for “Scotchguard” now? I think the stain repellant spray was discontinued for environmental reasons.

Agree with all the tips: wash right away, Oxy/stain remover spray on the really dirty bits, dry in sunshine to bleach as white as possible.

Final tip is the magic of bluing. Turn the water in a sink sky blue, dip saddle pad to optically brighten to a bright white.

1 Like

Well, they’re still selling Scotchguard on Amazon, Target, etc.

I use camp dry. You can get it online, at Walmart or anywhere that sells outdoor gear

3M reformulated Scotchgard amid concern about an ingredient’s potential toxicity.

1 Like

I’m happy to hear Scotchgard is back! I didn’t see it for sale anywhere for a while so I didn’t know!

A search on amazon reveals that there are multiple types of scotchguard
 Am I safe to assume the red bottle (regular) is what I want?

If I were treating my saddlepads I’d choose a horse-blanket waterproofing spray before I’d choose Scotchgard or any similar product, as the horse products are formulated with animals in mind.

1 Like