Unlimited access >

Kent, Ludger, Yann, etc withdraw

http://www.noellefloyd.com/kent-farrington-christian-ahlmann-ludger-beerbaum-yann-candele-withdraw/

i will be sorry to not see them jump tomorrow but fully understand the reasoning behind the decision…go Beezie and McLain!

Also sorry not to see Kent jump, but am not surprised. I believe his horse has had a couple injuries before, so it seems much more prudent to save him for another day.

[QUOTE=slp;7747830]
http://www.noellefloyd.com/kent-farrington-christian-ahlmann-ludger-beerbaum-yann-candele-withdraw/

i will be sorry to not see them jump tomorrow but fully understand the reasoning behind the decision…go Beezie and McLain![/QUOTE]
I had a feeling he wasn’t going to jump tomorrow. I’m not surprised at all. I’ll miss watching him tomorrow!

I am surprised that there are 2 rounds of jumping tomorrow to decide the individual medals. If the scores from 3 prior rounds carry through, wouldn’t one more round be enough to subject these horses to?

5 rounds (plus 4 more for the top 4 horses) in 5 (6) days is just too much. The courses are huge and the demands put on them are so great that, even if the horse stays 100% sound, he will be drained mentally.

Realistically, no one who is lower than 10th place now has a hope of making the final 4. I am surprised that more horses have not scratched. There must be a lot of arm twisting going on behind the scenes right now in an effort to keep the remaining horses in the start order.

[QUOTE=Lord Helpus;7748027]
I am surprised that there are 2 rounds of jumping tomorrow to decide the individual medals. If the scores from 3 prior rounds carry through, wouldn’t one more round be enough to subject these horses to?

5 rounds (plus 4 more for the top 4 horses) in 5 (6) days is just too much. The courses are huge and the demands put on them are so great that, even if the horse stays 100% sound, he will be drained mentally.

Realistically, no one who is lower than 10th place now has a hope of making the final 4. I am surprised that more horses have not scratched. There must be a lot of arm twisting going on behind the scenes right now in an effort to keep the remaining horses in the start order.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you regarding the too many rounds. This has got to be more than they jump at the Olympics, or the World Cup. At what point does it become a fitness test? That’s not what showjumping is.

However, looks to me like the gap between 1st and 20th is less than 8 faults. They’re all actually quite close. Isn’t there a non-negligible chance of riders in the top 20 rising to the final? Especially since there’s two rounds tomorrow, not one?

[QUOTE=Darkwave;7748085]
I absolutely agree with you regarding the too many rounds. This has got to be more than they jump at the Olympics, or the World Cup. At what point does it become a fitness test? That’s not what showjumping is.

However, looks to me like the gap between 1st and 20th is less than 8 faults. They’re all actually quite close. Isn’t there a non-negligible chance of riders in the top 20 rising to the final? Especially since there’s two rounds tomorrow, not one?[/QUOTE]
I agree that the WEG has too many rounds. I do believe that they jump more at the WEG than the Olympics and the World Cup. I don’t think it’s fair to ask horses that have jumped 3 rounds already to jump 2 more tomorrow PLUS more if they make the final 4.

I heard on the live feed during the medal ceremony yesterday that I believe it was Ludger Beerbaum won individual Gold at a WEG when he was pretty low in the rankings. They were saying that it is possible to move up from a low place into the final 4. I would think it’s anyone’s game tomorrow.