Unlimited access >

Kentucky Three Day Event 2024

I’m really impressed with the British contingent coming over, but there aren’t many more Europeans besides them.

5* Entries

2 Likes

Really looking forward to it! A bit disappointed not to see some more horses in the 5* v. 4*, but it makes sense with the Olympics.

Also will be interesting to see where the cross entered horses end up… KY or Badminton? On Cue, Tsetserleg TSF, and Wabbit are all cross entered.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing JL Dublin in person, as I didn’t make it to KY last year! First time back in 5 years so I’m getting really excited now that entries are out & I finally booked my flights :slight_smile:

Edit- also excited to see Leamore Master Plan & Vermiculus back in action :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I’m so excited. I’m working; this will be my first time there. I lived a reasonable drive away for 11 years and never once went. Ironic that it took me moving far away to actually make it there.

13 Likes

I am going for the first time- I have bought tix twice and had to cancel due to my husband’s schedule. Now, we are all set! So excited!

5 Likes

Anyone know why Mai Baum is in the 4* instead of the 5*?

I would think for Olympic selection reasons. No reason to run a full 5* when a 4*-S will suffice. And a 4*-S is a bit closer to Olympic specs.

17 Likes

And probably the reason for soooo many in the 4* and not the 5*. Not just Mai Baum.

9 Likes

I find it disappointing that so many are opting for a 4*-S. There are only 47 entries in the 5*. So there is a good possibility that by the time of the competition there be less than 40 due to the cross entries, injuries, etc. Meanwhile Badminton has a wait list.

I think it says something about the difference in mentalities between North America and Great Britain. The Olympics is a mess of a competition and not even close to the level of competition of the 5*. If I were an owner, I would not allow my horses to be held back to compete in the Olympics versus going to a 5*.

3 Likes

Some of these horses “being held back” at the 4 :star:S haven’t been actively competing or haven’t been competing at advanced as much as usual.

I think Mai Baum is running his first advanced since Aachen this weekend. It makes sense you wouldn’t want to throw another 5 :star: at him right now.

Also, if I were an owner and the Olympics were a priority, there is no shame in saving a little horse by taking the (very slightly) easier option to qualify for the games.

Eventing doesn’t “need” the Olympics. But if the Olympics and eventing don’t get on the same page, it will change the sport considerably whether we like it or not. It already has.

27 Likes

I’m super excited! I’m volunteering this year, on xc day, get to drive a golf cart around the course to pick up scores from jump judges and might get to jump judge a bit myself if mine need a bathroom break :joy: also dragging my bf (and one of our friends to keep him company while I’m working Sat), he has no idea what he’s in for. He keeps thinking it’s going to be like one of the little shows he’s gone to with me.

8 Likes

We’re going again this year, so excited!! My countdown app says 23 days until we head to Lex :star_struck:

2 Likes

Maybe this is just me being overly optimistic, but I really believe that Hannah Sue Hollberg and Capitol HIM are going to shine this year. Their jumping has been quite really good and their dressage is consistently low 30s. If they make the time I think they will end in a really good position.

8 Likes

I saw an MR for them in the Advanced at TerraNova this past weekend, hope all is ok for their plans and in general!

Also saw Tamie’s 5* entry, Elliot V, was eliminated on XC at Galway Downs. Will be interesting to see if their prep plans or level entered change.

I’m excited!

The only thing I’m a bit sad about is…I need to buy nothing. Usually I have a list of stuff but this year I honestly need nothing.

4 Likes

My solution to the “I need nothing” problem is soliciting shopping lists from my barnmates so that I can still buy things, just not for myself. My trainer’s response to the offer was “I’ll give you cash and a list and if you need more money just send me a Venmo request” hahahaha.

12 Likes

Stupid question:

For those who have been to both, how does the shopping compare to Maryland?

I always hear how amazing the shopping is at Kentucky. Not sure what I should expect?

I went to both last year and the shopping was similar in my opinion. Actually I think Maryland was better or at least had more variety.

Kentucky was only really expensive big ticket items or stuff I can easily grab at my local tack shop. No big sales. Not a lot of new stuff to see. This has been my only complaint about the whole event.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to Maryland. But I greatly enjoy the shopping at Kentucky, but I also have no local tack shops. So I really like seeing & putting my hands on things in person.

I also love all the samples I can pick up. I think its my favorite part.

I have a list for this year (currently):
More Freeride breeches
Jump girth for monoflap (24")
Free shoulder type breastplate
Fancy Hay bag (??)
Fly mask (??)
Try on back protector/air vest (non-xc type back protector)
Fly spray gallon (if on sale)
Joint supplement-cosequin? (sale)
Electrolytes (sale)

And then anything else I see that I can’t live without or is good sale.

2 Likes

That’s kind of a bummer.

I’ve found the shopping at Maryland to be “just okay.”