Unlimited access >

Kentucky

Hi everyone!
I bought tickets to a music festival in Kentucky June 1/2 weekend. I am only doing the Sunday, but driving down to Kentucky and arriving on the Saturday.

I am looking for good places to visit while I have time. I’m not super interested in bourbon so a booze tour wouldn’t be appealing (i’m also driving myself). I might stop in at Godolphin or Claiborne, but looking for other things to do while I’m there, and they don’t necessarily need to be horse-related

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Where in KY? Lexington? Make sure the farm you want to tour has open tours. Most you need an appointment and often now you have to pay for the tour. https://www.visitlex.com/things-to-do/horses/horse-farm-tours/

Keenland is always fun. Try the track kitchen, too.

1 Like

Yes, Lexington. Thanks :slight_smile:

Jumping on just to say I’m going to that music festival too! So excited for the lineup. :smiley: (assuming it’s the same one–same weekend in Lex).

Also interested in what people recommend. We’ll be there most of the day Friday as well to explore.

1 Like

Hozier and Lord Huron!! On the same day!! Great, now I want to go. Make sure you let us know how awesome it was!

If you’re a fan of Thoroughbreds, stop by Old Friends in Georgetown. Lots of famous retired racehorses there!

1 Like

I don’t drink, but I loved the tour of the Buffalo Trace distillery I went on. I found the whole process to be really interesting.

The Horse Park, of course, is a great place to visit, as is Keeneland.

Shaker Village in Harrodsburg was always a must-see trip when I lived in Lexington and we were entertaining visitors. I haven’t been in years but if you’re interested in history/culture, you might enjoy it.

If you’re in to historical estates I recommend Ashland (the Henry Clay estate) and the Mary Todd Lincoln House. And Ward Hall, if it happens to be open.

For food (if you’re not a vegetarian) Red State BBQ or Columbia Steak House (highly recommend their Nighthawk Special).

The distillery tours are interesting, even if you’re not a drinker.

Most of the farm tours are active breeding farms and they are actively breeding right now. Many also are also caring for broodies and welcoming new babies. Not the best time for tours.

Old Friends is great and theres always Keeneland, which is quite historic and beautiful besides the horses and the breakfast.