Kicked in ankle 6/7 months ago, still hurts

hello all!

Last summer I was kicked in the front of my ankle/lower shin by a weanling, which caused some minor swelling and some impressive bruising. I was a working student/barn management intern at the time and did not/have not had pain from my ankle due to walking at any time.

At this point the kick happened 6/7 months ago, and I am still experiencing pain in my ankle off and on. There is also a small lump on it that is easily felt. It will become particularly sore when I have worn socks or boots that cover the area that was kicked.

My question is, has anyone experienced anything similar? Is it something I should look into? Or would I be fine to continue ignoring it?

I’d call a doctor.

1 Like

You didn’t get an xray at the time? Get one now.

1 Like

It may be a fracture not healing…I had one a few years ago that an x-ray did not show but an MRI did. I had to wear an air cast for 4 weeks to let it heal.

Get an X-ray…there shouldn’t be a lump. on your ankle…find out what’s going on.

It could also be a torn ligament. It took almost 2 years for my ankle to heal and it is very lumpy. Still gets sore some days.

Mine was misdiagnosed as a bad sprain. MRI 1.5 years after it happened showed all the real damage done.