Kidney donors?

I may have an opportunity to be a kidney donor for a friend. I’m still on the fence about it, but hey - if I needed a kidney, I’d hope someone would step up for me, so…

Does anyone have any experience with donation’s effect on riding? Are there any? I’ve been told that I’d need to steer clear of ibuprophen afterwards, since it’s processed in the kidney - that’s certainly a concern, though I don’t live on Advil the way I used to…

Would love to hear any stories.

Thanks.

No stories, no experience, just bless you for thinking of doing this for a friend.

3 Likes

I can’t speak specifically about riding, but my dad donated a kidney to DH about 13 years ago and dad (in his 60s now) is still healthy as a horse (knock wood). Dad is very active, and has walked 5-10 miles every single day as long as he can remember. He also goes on 1-2 week solo backpacking trips once or twice a year, sometimes in the desert. He says he was told to avoid getting dehydrated and go easy on the alcohol (not a big drinker, so it wasn’t a huge change).

The difference it has made in DH’s life is immeasurable.

4 Likes

What a brave and kind thing to consider

2 Likes

You will be told not to ski on “black diamond” courses and not to engage in other “extreme” sports, like eventing at the 4* level, not because you would be unable to do so, but because of the possibility of damaging the remaining kidney in a fall.

You should have no problem riding with one kidney.

If you are in any manner “on the fence” about donating then you probably shouldn’t do it.
However, the evaluation process is a long and meticulous one and there is no guarantee that you will be accepted and able to donate. You will have time to think about everything and will have all of your questions answered.

…and yes, no NSAIDs for you afterward.

4 Likes

Back in the late 90’s I had a barnmate who donated a kidney to her sister. I cant remember how long she was off, but I can tell you that she went back to showing hunters, and is still showing in the 3’3" division. She is probably upper 50’s or so now.

3 Likes

I Donated a kidney in 1982 and at the time it was a serious major surgery. I’m told things are much simpler now but then the surgery for me it was a major ordeal and extremely painful .I never knew what real pain was till that surgery.The surgery is very different now laparoscopic i think which means quicker recovery and less pain.
I didn’t ride for about 6 weeks and then I was back to my usually riding. I was in Colorado riding in National Forest at about 10K feet.So rough trail riding and some trail jumping. Of course I was only 31 then so I healed pretty fast but it took about a year to regain my full strength which was what I was told to expect After the surgery.
it didn’t stop me from riding but back then you were almost cut in half(scar from belly button almost to my spine.
I am numb below the incision and that did effect my balance. After about 3 months I returned to downhill skiing, I’m not a good skier but i still loved it.
As you can tell it physically was very hard on me but I had a great horse I trusted completely and so was back in the saddle ASAp.
Although you may be told donation has zero effect on your long term health more recent research proves that isn’t true. As you age you’ll have a higher risk for high blood pressure, heart disease and it does lower your Vit D. For me I found I can’t hold my bladder as long as it feels like liquid goes right through me.
Short answer is don’t believe the hype giving up a kidney is a serious change for your body.
The other big risk is injury. I thought I’d wear some kind of protection but i never have , but I’m not doing any jumping.
However the risk is there but I think with the horrible slaughter on our roads today the risk from a car accident far outweighs riding.
PM if anyone wants more info.
And yes the recipient still has my kidney…

3 Likes

Yes you have to be carful about medications, no NSAID’s ever and more seriously no contrast for any CT or MRI. You really have to protect your solo kidney and don’t trust that your doctors know much about that, get informed and again there is so much push for people to donate as if its giving blood yet the truth is it is risky and the research on long term effects is prejudiced by the transplant centers. You are taking a risk with your health so be sure this is what you want to do.
if you ever need a kidney you are in the same que as everyone else even though you may be told you’ll be put at the head of the list. Thats a lie.
Also I always had higher premiums for health insurance and life insurance.

2 Likes

Thanks, all (especially Walkers60!). I’ve since had serious doubts, and realized that live donation isn’t for me, at least at the moment. Wish I could, but I’ve got enough other stressors (especially in the first half of the year)…

2 Likes

I don’t know that I’d agree with the no contrast on CT/MRI.

Yes, you will have one kidney. It will be doing the work of two.

IMO, you should get fairly regular blood tests (annually perhaps to start) to monitor kidney function. As long as your kidney functions properly, if you need CT or MRI they should be able to be done with and without contrast. This is a discussion for you and your PCP.

If (not saying it will happen) you end up with chronic kidney disease then definitely no contrast for imaging studies will most likely be in order. IMO, you need to know this to ensure anyone treating you does that properly.

FWIW, I have had one kidney for close to 60 years (one was removed surgically almost 60 years ago).

I do see a nephrologist regularly as my one kidney, after 60 years of doing the work of two is loosing a bit of its punch :frowning: . One needs to be, IMO, an active participant in one’s own healthcare.

Was there anything I didn’t do or take special precautions for, no. I did think about possible repercussions if a horse were to step on my remaining kidney but that didn’t keep me off horses.

If you do donate (and bless you for your generosity), work with your PCP for ongoing healthcare recommendations. We are all different.

3 Likes

I had CT scans with contrast every six months for 3 years. Now I get CT scans with contrast every year. Performed at two very good medical centers. Yes, my doctors know a lot about kidneys.

1 Like

Living donors are wonderful! Takes a lot more courage than those of us who wait till death to donate.

I signed up for donating at death when I legally could. Everyone should at least do that. I know a father still living but now retired who donated one of his kidneys to his diabetic son. Son is still working at his job and plays sports in his spare time.

1 Like

Contrast (IIRC iodine) does require well functioning kidneys. If you’ve got 'em, contrast is fine. If you don’t (I no longer do), then no contrast. When imaging is be requested, I always make sure no contrast is specified.

You do get more information with contrast imaging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have just one kidney (surgically removed one) and it has stepped up to the plate to function in place of two. They always do a kidney function tests beforehand.

Saying “more seriously no contrast for any CT or MRI” is false because many people do have contrast.

Use of the contrast agent is dependent on kidney function. If your kidney(s) function is fine, then contrast is generally fine.

My kidney function is not fine so I don’t do contrast. I see a nephrologist regularly who does perform kidney function testing regardless of if I have any imaging studies planned or not.

It is good to be honest with yourself about such a decision. Kudos for considering it.

3 Likes

About 5% of the population has a single kidney as it is a very common congenital condition. Finding a single kidney on the work up for donation is the most common rule out for kidney donation. Can’t donate what you don’t have to give.

I donated in a triple swap benefitting my husband 12 years ago. I was home from the hospital in about a day and a half. Pretty sore for 2 weeks, tired for 3, back to work full time in 3 weeks, My surgery was laparoscopic and uncomplicated.

I rode lightly in a month, showed most of the rest of the year back in the A/Os.

I carry a good bit of disability insurance but I’m conservative and would very likely do that anyway. Other than that I don’t think I live any differently than I would with 2 kidneys. In fact, the prep for surgery got me more active and healthier than I’d been in several years. I’ve sustained those habits. I don’t know I would have gotten off the couch otherwise.

Donating probably saved my husband’s life (he was an O and highly sensitized so unlikely to get a kidney off the list). I’d do it again without hesitation.

Please do know that if you get tested and decide not to donate the program will notify the potential recipient simply that you were “not eligible”. Undertaking donation does carry risk and choosing not to donate, for whatever reason, is yours and yours alone. Do not feel guilty either should you chose not to donate or get excluded for a health or other condition.

Thsnk you for considering donation.