Unlimited access >

Kid's dressage leathers?

Brand new dressage saddle owner (im new, the saddle is used :joy:) I’ve been searching for a saddle that would fit me for years and finally found one. Its actually for a child’s dressage saddle 16" with extra short flaps! Sense it took me forever to find this saddle, i want to make it last forever. So I was wondering about recommendations on nice leathers for short people? I did not realize they made mono leathers or dressage specific leathers? And I want something thats not going to damage the flaps and be comfortable. I’m 4’11" and the size of a 12 year old 🤦. I’m just not familiar with whats out there to use?

Maybe reach out to The Collected Pony and see what sizes they have? https://thecollectedpony.com/collections/spurs-and-stirrups/products/qhp-ultra-nylon-reinforced-stirrup-leathers

3 Likes

I got Bates leather webbers in 60 cm from Dover. I’m 5’4” with long legs and the last hole was just barely too short for me (I rode in them once and returned) so they sound like they could be a good option for you.

2 Likes

Figure out where you want your leg to be and measure. Then a traditional leather is going to be maybe 2.5 times longer? But there is also no reason you cant use a jump leather to get it shorter. Or cut off the excess flap and punch more holes.

There are lots of dressage leathers that are nylon lined calf leather and don’t stretch. Everything will mark the saddle a bit though.

1 Like

I sooo wanted the Total Saddle Fit Webbers but I couldn’t get the standard (equivalent 60” dressage) short enough for my leg (I’m 5’ 3”) and the 54” equivalent meant the buckle was lying on the saddle flap for my particular saddle. The TFS stability leathers are good and the 54” leathers are a reasonable fit but don’t give me enough spare to fit through the retainer, it will probably be better for you. If I remember I’ll measure the leathers tomorrow and give you a more accurate sizing.

1 Like

Perri’s Leather has 48” x 3/4” black for about $160.

County Saddlery also has County brand 48” black for about the same price.

Is your leg short enough to need a 42" ?

Henry James Saddlery sells a webber style stirrup leather in XXSmall.

Thats for the replies! I measured today and my current regular leathers are 52" long but i use it on the 11th hole with is 42". I’m going to test ride today and see if that changes any with the different leg position. but i really want to get one of the kind with only the one strap on under the leg. Or at least the really thin kind. Oh I just saw how to measure the webbers so that measures 18.5" :joy:

Fellow child-sized Dressage rider here! Are you looking for brown by chance? Devoucoux makes a pair of bottom buckle webber-style Dressage leathers that come in XS and go as short as 16.5" bar to iron. I have a brown pair brand new with tags I’d be willing to sell you for next to nothing, I bought them years ago, but then Gary Mundy started making custom leathers again and I bought two pairs of his before he retired.

1 Like