Unlimited access >

Kiefer Trailer - Aluminum Floor Question

I have a 2005 2 horse BP Kiefer with an aluminum floor. The weird thing… there is a layer of plywood between the aluminum floor and the rubber mats. I never really thought much of it, but when I recently took my horse trailer for a good look over the trailer place expressed concern about corrosion on the aluminum floor caused by the wet plywood.

Obviously, Because of the concern, I have to have them take the mats and plywood out to have a better look at the floor.

My question is, why is the plywood there? Is there a reason for it? I was thinking maybe heat and vibration? But what If they pull the wood out and put down a double layer of mats? I wasn’t sure, and couldn’t find googling, if this is standard on Kiefer trailers, or if there was some good reason for replacing the plywood.

Thanks!

I have owned probably 8 trailers with aluminum floors, and have never had plywood on top of the aluminum. The only thing I can think of is someone misguidedly put the plywood down to try to stop urine contact with the aluminum, when in fact the plywood would make it worse.

I would remove the plywood, treat or repair the aluminum, and then put the rubber mats back directly on the aluminum. I have never had issues with floors getting hot, but I also use shavings when hauling.

I have a 2005 Kiefer as well. There is no plywood between the mats and floor in mine. My floor is aluminum planks and has held up great. I agree with cutter toss the plywood.

Thank you both! I will have the trailer place pull the plywood, do whatever is needed to the aluminum, and put the mats back down.

I had a Kiefer - 2000 or 2001, I don’t recall the exact year now. It had aluminum floor and did not have plywood on top. I had issues w/corrosion very early on despite keeping the floor clean. The only reason I can imagine someone putting down the plywood is because they were concerned about weakened planks due to the corrosion.

Also make sure they take a look at the supports underneath the floor. I had issues with welds breaking on those supports. Kiefer did pay to have those repaired at one point but w/in two trips, I had new broken welds on the brackets that weren’t previously fixed.