Unlimited access >

Kitty ear mites

A couple days ago a new kitty showed up at my farm, from who knows where. I’m guessing he’s about 12 weeks old and he seems healthy, but he appears to have ear mites. I have an appointment to get him checked out at the vet but that’s a few weeks away.

Is there a safe OTC ear mite medicine I can give him prior to his vet visit?

5 Likes

Horse and kitty are both beautiful! I used coconut oil on my cats ears. It helped a little but i’m told the oil can promote yeast infections. It might provide a little bit of relief though until the vet can do a deep thorough cleaning.

1 Like

If your vet will sell you a tube of topical Revolution before your appointment, I’d go with that. It will take care of fleas, ear mites and some internal parasites. Around here it’s about $18 for a cat dose and worth every penny!

5 Likes

Our barn kitty was just treated. I don’t what that was the vet used, but it was a single dose. Thank goodness! Catching a barn cat for daily ear mite treatments really sucks!

1 Like

OH your cat is BEAUTIFUL!!! Black cats are my very very favorite flavor of cat!! our new feral/stray came with earmites. Luckily we had some Zymox otic on hand. Not sure if he has worms or not, but next time we’re at the vet’s we’ll pickup some Revolution.

If you live in an area where cytauxzoonosis (aka bobcat fever) is endemic and your cat goes outdoors, be sure to get Revolution Plus and not just plain Revolution because the Plus formulation will take care of ticks. Several years ago I lost a cat to this disease, and it was horrible. The poor cat was in agony before the vet diagnosed the cause, and it was too late to even try to treat it. I had been treating with Advantage, because it was better for fleas than Frontline (the only other topical on the market at that time). Ever since, I always make sure a topical will kill and/or repel ticks.

Last summer my cat got earmites. I bought Sentry Ear miticide from Petsmart for about $6. The first few days I put drops in the ear, massaged it a bit and had an old towel ready for when she’d shake her head. Wanted to make sure the liquid got way down into the ears. Then I started putting the drops on a extra large Q-tip type swab. Cat’s ears were light pink and clean of mites within a week. I had a treat ready after each treatment and kitty tolerated this indignity pretty well!

1 Like