Unlimited access >

Knee Arthritis

Anyone have suggestions for severe arthritis of the knee and riding? Longer stirrups help a lot but I have a feeling soon that won’t be enough.

Other than knee replacement, use stirrups with a wide, cushioned tread. Take a couple of Tylenol an hour before you ride. Ice your knees afterwards.

Yes, I am the voice of experience!

1 Like

I agree with @Donkaloosa and highly recommend a new knee!

While I was waiting for mine I rested when I could, lengthened stirrups, ended up riding less😢 Git some decent painkillers from the Doc, popped a couple 30 mins before riding. Biggest thing for me though was Back on Track knee brace, I ended up with 3 of them so I always had one ready to go. Made the difference between things being possible, and being impossible. Oh, and mounting block if you don’t use one already.

2 Likes

While I don’t have bad knee pain, I do occasionally get recurrent aches that make it more uncomfortable to stand or ride. I’ve found these actually help:

https://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?strilhID=Web&strmdNumber=DRD6910&stricSKU=DRD6910

I actually like them better than the ones from Back on Track because of the Velcro attachment.

Regular chiropractic sessions (every 3 months), glucosamine sulfate capsules (1000 mg a day) and HA capsules (100 mg a day) have made a world of difference for me. Two years ago, I was tending to my animals using a cane. Since starting the above, my knees don’t bother me at all.

1 Like

If your insurance will spring for it, PENNSAID is awesome. It’s the same drug as Voltaren (diclofenac) in a DMSO base. It’s ridiculously expensive, at least to the insurance company, but usually less than a $10 copay. I like it better than (generic) voltaren gel/cream.

I use it on my crunchy ankle, but was developed for knees.

Voltaren is now OTC and you can buy DMSO cheaply and mix with alcohol and glycerin and get a good result. I have had one knee replaced and use a copper fit knee brace on the other with decent results – it is comfortable. I use both of the above topical. My Voltaren has been prescribed for years for my psoriatic arthritis which just compounds the problems and all my joints are affected and getting worse. I also take Ibuprofen or Tramadol. Good luck!

My go tos for knee arthritis: Back on Track Knee Brace
Salon Pas rubbed liberally around knee
Lubrysin (HA)- TBS per day
Mild movement- gentle walking

Not sure if you are riding western, but having the stirrups twisted and tied in place, so foot is not getting twisted inward to crank your knee around too, helps a great deal. I believe they call it the “Texas Twist” if you want to get it done by a saddle repair shop or do it yourself.

I also got knee shots, not a steroid, in a series of 3, which really helped with any pain. Lasted several months. Did not take pain killers regularly.

It was time for the new knee when I realized how crooked I walked, overloading the good knee, wearing on it. Things have improved incredibly with the new knee! If they say you qualify, knee is that bad, get it done. You will be so much happier! Find a Dr who does LOTS of knees, they are much better with all that practice, than a Dr who only does a couple a month. Ask friends who they used, how well it went in recovering.

1 Like

It was never the getting on…its the getting off trying to decide which knee wouldn t give out. Get a new knee. It will only get worse never better and everything else is band aide…been there got the badge…

I got a new knee after cortisone injections stopped working and never looked back. I’m pain free now. I even got into heavy weight lifting when I turned 60:lol: The other knee feels SO much better for not doing 90% of the work. I’m healthier, fitter, and stronger than before. Just do your physical therapy and do it for the rest of your life. A new knee is the start of a new beginning.

3 Likes