Knee reconstruction - tibial tubercle osteotomy patella alta

So I just had reconstructive knee surgery on Tuesday…hoping to correct a severe patella alta (knee caps are 2.5cm too high) coupled with chondromalacia patella (ground to bone), lax ligaments, arthritis and Hoffas disease. I am apparently too young for afull TKR yet, so hoping to buy about 10 years with the reconstructions…

I am on the 4th day out and camping at my mommys house as she is on one floor with the bathroom right by the guest bedroom. Pain wise, I quit the meds yesterday,… they just aren’t necessary as the ice and elevation works just as well and I am not turned into a drooling zombie :wink:

Physio is very minimal for 5 weeks till my post surgical check up. just flexing my quads, foot rotations and pumping and lifting the leg with a towel to get about a 45 degree bend. None of this is all that uncomfortable.

So I am now waiting for time to pass and get back into the saddle! How long were other of you knee sufferers back at least walking on a horse? I won’t be pushing it as I have a job that requires me to be fully functional and I will not jeopardize that. But a timeline would give me something to focus on :slight_smile:

Not sure how I will last not able to do anything for so long…LOL!!! Crocheting hobby maybe?? hahahaha!

It doesn’t matter how long others have taken to recover!!!. It matters how long YOU need to take based on YOUR doctors/therapists recommendations. You should be asking THEM for the timeline as no 2 surgeries are alike and we all recover & rehab at different rates. Age/weight/fitness level/surgeouns preferences etc. all factor in. Getting back to riding should be waaaaay down your priority list. Start with ambulating then stairs etc. You’ll get back to riding soon enough. Besides…it’s winter. Give yourself and your horse the winter off and focus on your rehab!
Just my 2 sense! Best wishes!

I know… I am killing time laid up in bed seeing what others experiences have been :stuck_out_tongue: The thought of getting on a horse TBH makes me want to barf… so was curious about how others have travelled the rehab road is all

I had this surgery on my left knee long, long ago. I think they were still using stone knives and bear claws to operate. Post surgery I was in a full cast, hip to toes for 3 months. When I had the right knee done years later I was in a brace for several weeks.
I read up on how it’s done now. Wow, what a difference. Pay attention to your Drs. good luck, heal well. Take care of yourself so that you have many years of saddle time to look forward to.