Knee replacement

I am facing knee replacement in the near future, so I am seeking insight!

1. Have you had knee replacement surgery and are you riding again?

2. What kind of knee replacement did you have (full, part etc)

3. Would appreciate any word of wisdom about the process

Thanks!

Hi: Long time lurker at this end. :slight_smile:

I had a total knee (Vanguard/Biomet) replacement done by a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon here in Lexington, KY on October 18, 2010. I interviewed 4 surgeons & told them all beforehand I would not do it if I was going to be restricted in any way post surgery. Only one agreed! At 4 weeks post op, he cleared me to ride and at 6 weeks I began weekly jumpers lessons. At 12 weeks, I was cleared to ‘live my life’ and told to come back in a year for an x-ray to be sure nothing had moved.

The pain during the first week is nearly unbearable and rehab is not easy, but oh so worth it in the end. I ride every day including a weekly lesson, compete in 3’ jumpers a couple of times a month and work full time running my farm.

I am thrilled with my new knee. It changed my life, all for the better.
Good luck, Jon

I’ve had both knees replaced. One was done 19 years ago and the second one was done 9 years ago. I was back on my horse at 4 weeks past surgery. I have hunted regularly with them with no problems. I’ve even been dumped a few times and survived with no problems.

Doing all your rehab exercises is the key to getting back to full use. Good luck, you’ll do fine.

Hey,

I haven’t had knee surgery, but I know of people who have successfully avoided it by using treatment available at: Arpwave.org. I would do it instead of surgery in a heartbeat, since surgery has no guaranteed results.

Best wishes!

[QUOTE=ravick;5657528]
I haven’t had knee surgery, but I know of people who have successfully avoided it by using treatment available at: Arpwave.org. I would do it instead of surgery in a heartbeat, since surgery has no guaranteed results.[/QUOTE]

ravick, obviously you don’t know the pain of a joint that is bone-on-bone. I’d like to see peer-reviewed, journal articles showing the results of studies on your product.

Having said that, my husband had both knees replaced at the same time on 12/2/10. He is a farrier and started working again at the end of February. He built up to his full schedule quickly and hasn’t had problems; says the knees feel great. What is most interesting - the arthritis had caused him to become extremely bowlegged - after the surgery, his legs were straight and he’s now an inch taller!

Yes, he was ready to amputate both legs after the surgery. The first two weeks were the worst, pain-wise. It is important to remember it DOES get better!

He had two total knee replacements using DePuy implants. For the first two days, he had an On-Q ball in each knee. It’s a catheter that delivers continuous marcaine into the joint (like novacaine). The ball that holds the medication is worn on a strap that hangs over your shoulder. That ball was very helpful and he certainly felt the difference after the catheters were removed!

He spent 3 days in hospital and 5 days in an inpatient rehab facility. Then we immediately started aggressive outpatient physical therapy at a wonderful facility. It’s very important to obtain full extension of the knee ASAP. Flexion will come in time, but if you can’t fully extend your leg, you’ll end up with a contracture.

Any questions, feel free to PM. I’ve scrubbed in on quite a few TKR’s so may be able to answer any specific questions for you.

Good luck!

I hunt with people who have have knees replaced.

It gave them their lives back.

Same with those who have had hips replaced. Back to foxhunting 3 days a week or more.

I and hoping and praying that one day similar surgeries on the spine can produce the same results - if so I’ll hop on the operating table in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your knees - I’m sure you’ll be back in the saddle (and pain free) in no time!!:slight_smile:

My student (Mod Adult) had her knee done at the end of December 2010. She was told not to ride for 8 months. Right now her knee still hurts and she feels it is worse than before the surgery. She hopes to start riding again in September.

How long does a knee replacement last?

In other words, if you have it done, when can you expect to have to have the procedure done again?

The knee implants they’re using now can expect to last 20-30 years, depending on the amount of wear they receive (your activity level) and the implant type.

I have two partial knee replacements. I think it was about 3 months before I could start to ride again. However, I have since chosen NOT to ride. I have arthritis in every joint known to man :slight_smile: , live alone, am far from being wealthy, and decided that the riding wasn’t worth the risk of a serious leg/knee injury. YMMV. My doctors never told me to stop riding, although they did tell me to not fall off!, but were happy when I came to the decision myself. I only found the pain to be bad the first 24 hours, and after that, it wasn’t that big a deal. I returned home, took care of myself and my dogs, no problems. PT is important, and you should do EXACTLY what they tell you to do, no more and no less. (How do I know that doing more is a bad thing? Because I ended up with a stress-fractured leg that hurt more than the knee replacement and took longer to heal.)

[QUOTE=JCCHASE;5657244]
Hi: Long time lurker at this end. :slight_smile:

I had a total knee (Vanguard/Biomet) replacement done by a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon here in Lexington, KY on October 18, 2010. I interviewed 4 surgeons & told them all beforehand I would not do it if I was going to be restricted in any way post surgery. Only one agreed! At 4 weeks post op, he cleared me to ride and at 6 weeks I began weekly jumpers lessons. At 12 weeks, I was cleared to ‘live my life’ and told to come back in a year for an x-ray to be sure nothing had moved.

The pain during the first week is nearly unbearable and rehab is not easy, but oh so worth it in the end. I ride every day including a weekly lesson, compete in 3’ jumpers a couple of times a month and work full time running my farm.

I am thrilled with my new knee. It changed my life, all for the better.
Good luck, Jon[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if you could share your doctor’s name? Thanks!

Dr Christian Christensen at the Lexington Clinic. http://www.lexingtonclinic.com/lcsportsmed/

[QUOTE=JCCHASE;5714934]
Dr Christian Christensen at the Lexington Clinic. http://www.lexingtonclinic.com/lcsportsmed/[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That was my guess (Dr. Hester in that clinic did my tibial tubercle transfer) and it’s good to know!

I found this thread quite informative to read. Thanks to all helpful replies.

So four month post surgery, I am very glad I did it. I was back on a horse at 5 weeks…do nto tell my doctor. He said 6!

And I have the second knee replacement schedule for April.

Congratulations! Sounds like you are right on schedule!

I’m still amazed at how well designed and installed these artificial knees are. I have an appointment (after my jumping lesson) in February for an x-ray to be sure the knee remains where it was put. My initial knee injury had significant enough ligament damage to the point that my doc thought I may need ligament repair in the future. I’m willing to be that will not be the case!

Good luck with your second one. I hope it is as successful as the first.

I think of you often Jon and have no idea how you were jumping after 6 weeks. But I hold you in my thoughts as I work through getting back in shape!:slight_smile:

Over all I was the top of the class in recovery! I was biking on day 4! Walking with no crane or walker on day 4… I would lose them in other rooms!