L5-S1 fusion surgery?

Hi. Mr. Mukluk is going to need this (spondylolisthesis). Going to be done at UCSF. Anyway anyone out there have this done? Recovery time? Where you able to ride again?

I had a fusion 9 months ago, L4-5. I was off pain meds at 2 weeks and started driving. I got on the horse at 4 months, but I was having some muscle spasms in my mid back (not from riding) and a backed off for 2 more months. At 6 month I was much stronger and have been riding since. I am only doing 20-30 mins on my long time older horse. I had a UCSF Dr. who works out a Marin county office, so it was much easier for me not to go into the city.

I have not been able to ride. I get pretty severe pain in left hip buttock region that makes it really so painful I lose days and days of normal activity. I granted, have a lot more than this going on, but I was disappointed. So many positive stories I went ahead and tried. Wishing you luck and to be the one who throws leg over saddle with no complications!!!

I’ve never had this done; but I manage WC disability claims and see this procedure all the time, with L5-S1 being the most common site. Before surgery, I would make sure his pain level really warrants it, and that all other conservative measures such as injections and blocks, have been exhausted.

Is this surgery due to a work injury or personal condition? I accept spondylolisthesis as generally a non-work related degenerative condition. Statistics show MUCH faster recovery and return to work for NON WORK RELATED injuries than work related- back or any body part. Much of it is due to work satisfaction, motivation, and the doctor/provider involved.

The most important piece is finding an EXCELLENT orthopedic spine surgeon or neurosurgeon to do the surgery. Be very cautious if the ortho or neuro tries to pass hubby off for pain management after surgery. Many orthos and neuros see someone in post op for a month or two and then pass them off. I would encourage extremely cautious use of narcotic pain meds following surgery for about 4 weeks, and then really try to wean off to OTC meds. Therapy will be helpful, but the fusion will always cause some difficulty with range of motion to some extent. Many many people do not totally get rid of their pain after a fusion too, which frustrates and aggravates them. I would have a cervical fusion over lumbar as cervical spine recovers better due to being non weight bearing. Again, this can be a surgery that does not alleviate pain all that well, so be truly sure this is the absolute next step.

Honest to God, when we see this surgery very often in WC, here is the typical scenario: person has surgery, pain worse than ever post surgery, surgeon gets frustrated and refers patient to pain management; person goes through more injections, blocks and tons of narcotic pain meds, is off work for a long period of time, may or may not ever come back, becomes depressed and applies for SSDI benefits- claim gets messy and litigated. It’s ugly and many times I see fusions being done that are truly NOT necessary, and end up messing up the person for good when it did not need to be done.

If your husband has a good attitude, a reasonable expectation to still have some residual pain to deal with, no issues with depression, and has an excellent surgeon, chances are greater his outcome will be positive. L5-S1 is the most difficult level for fusion.

I had an L5-S1 fusion in 2001, at the age of 21, due to a traumatic spondylolisthesis from a fall 2 years prior. L4-L5 fused in 2004. Screws from L4-L5 fusion removed in 2013 due to the left L4 screw migrating, which breached the spinal canal. All in all, I do still get muscle spasms, I generally have some sort of discomfort all the time. Although I feel stiff, my range of motion is surprisingly good. I rode after each surgery, no issues even going 12-15 miles at a time.
The years between the 2nd and 3rd surgery were the best; I would go weeks/months without any pain or discomfort.

In my case, if the original surgeon had done a two-level fusion in the beginning, I would have been much better off. I already had a herniated L4-L5 disc going into the 1st surgery, and after a fusion, the levels above and below the fusion are subjected to added stresses. It’s not common to require an additional segment fusion 3 years after your first fusion.

Best of luck to your DH; above all, follow the doc’s recommendation for activity post-op! Movement (walking) was the absolute best thing for me. I was told to stay off a horse for a full year after each surgery… I listened.

I had one in 2008 and was riding after 3 months. I started rehabbing myself with Pilates after the first two weeks. At some point I will have to have another one above it but it isn’t warranted at this time.
My riding improved after I had it done as I couldn’t sit deep and spent a lot of time in a half seat or two point. My mobility greatly increased. It changed my life for the better and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again

Thanks for all the info- greatly appreciate it. Mr. Mukluk goes in for consult mid February (had a consult with another surgeon over the summer but they didn’t end up taking our insurance so we had to start over at square one). We are hoping for the best. I believe this is a combination of degenerative issue which was likely not helped by doing a great deal of labor his entire life. I will be thrilled if he is able to ride again and we will be very conservative about it- likely wait for a year.