Unlimited access >

Lack of emergency pet vet overnight

[quote=“Tucker5, post:18, topic:778165, full:true”] The only tool … It was awful and I just sat down in the field and bawled…Would it have been kinder to allow …to die a prolonged agonizing death?

I hope I never again have to do something like that to any animal, much less a beloved pet. But when you have seen and experienced some of the horror out there, well, your perspective can change.
[/quote]

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I agree with you that other posters are focusing on the tool used, instead of the plight that you found yourself in…it’s been a bit of a pile-on. Unfortunately, life throws curveballs, and regardless of how much you may prepare yourself, it can still cause devastation. I’m sorry for your experience.

Now, your particular experience happened to be with a wild animal in the woods with a limited supply of tools around you. It seems to be the opinion of many on this board that the idea of NEEDING to kill/euthanize a pet without the presence of a veterinarian is so far-fetched and ludicrous as to not be comparable with your experience. I disagree.

I know of a lady whose cat was ran over, but not killed by a vehicle. The cat was a bloody and broken mess. Going to the vet in a timely manner was not a possibility. So, this lady made the decision to put the cat in a box and let it pass on its own. The cat survived for OVER SIX HOURS. I can’t imagine the agony of that poor animal; that supposedly beloved pet.

It is my opinion that this lady was undeniably cruel to her pet in its time of need. As another poster suggested, carbon monoxide poisoning would’ve been a much, much more humane ending to this pet.

And that, I believe is the point that Tucker5 was trying to make: that a pet owner is ultimately responsible for their pet. That responsibility may take the form of being educated enough and having the correct supplies to make an animal as comfortable as possible until it can receive medical care OR to make the difficult decision to end that animal’s life.

Now, going back to the OP: for those persons that are far away from an emergency vet, eduction, medical disaster prep, and networking seem to be the best ways to arm one’s self. Unfortunately, knowing how to end an animal’s (obvious) suffering falls under this.

Please consider that it is not out of the realm of possibilities to have the family dog/cat be involved in a hit-and-run, like the lady above. For those that do not have access to veterinary care for treatment and/or euthanasia, they have to make the decision of how to handle such an event.

If the pet is clearly past the point of return, then killing it, as humanely as possible, is a legitimate course of action. Sure, many people may not have or be able/willing to shoot a gun (due to experience, mental/emotional capability or legality concerns). And, sure, many people that live in suburbia may not have an “axe”, but most people do have or have access to a carbon monoxide producing engine.

So, to me, to say that the average person is unable to provide a humane ending due to not having the “right equipment” (such as a gun or hand tools, etc.) or that it is such a rare occurrence/necessity is a red herring. To me, it seems that the real issue is that people, in general, are so far removed from the days of self reliance in regards to animal husbandry, that they are emotionally incapable or unwilling to handle this particular circumstance with grace.

Even in the tiny sampling of the posters on this thread, there is evidence of the different perspectives and capabilities of people that have to rely on themselves, whether that’s due to geographical distances or lifestyles (such as farming), versus those that live in more densely populated areas and rely more heavily on veterinary care.

In any case, providing care for an animal in pain is an emotional, self-doubting experience, but it IS a part of being a pet owner. Colic, anyone? Thankfully, many of us have some form of support in the form of veterinarians and knowledgeable friends/neighbors, but it is difficult finding your footing in a changing world where medical care (any medical care) is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve.

As individuals, the best we can do, is to learn from our mistakes, share our experiences and help those facing similar challenges.

12 Likes

@RunAmuckDog Can I like your post a few thousand times?! Very well said.

1 Like

Thank you; I’m sorry it turned out to be such a novel.

It’s hard to say “everything” and be minimalistic.

Honestly, I cannot even imagine it and don’t want to. Horrible.
I personally would prefer to see costs increase and more students go into veterinary medicine. The idea of people euthanizing pets at home on a regular basis is awful to contemplate.

I tend to agree. However, increasing costs will unfortunately make pet ownership more expensive for the average person. And the reality that I foresee is a large segment of the population who will still own pets even though they will really struggle to afford adequate veterinary care. Which IMO can be just as cruel.
I don’t have the answer.

I’ve humanely euthanized many chickens over the years with a hatchet. And we have firearms in the house that I would consider using if my dog was catastrophically injured after hours, nearest ER is at least 40 minutes away, in a snowstorm that doubles. Every person considering owning an animal needs to consider what an emergency would look like where they live. It’s going to be different for everyone. And some people are going to really have to think long and hard about whether or not their circumstances are conducive to a humane life and death for a pet.

This should also be a factor when people decide who is going to care for their pet while on vacation, etc. I’m fortunate that I have a vet tech friend who can stay at the house, or my vet clinic also offers boarding.
I wouldn’t ever leave my dog with my BIL and SIL. MIL and FIL went on vacation a few years ago and left their son and his wife to look after their dog. He was older and had a couple tumours, was on a few different medications. SO and I lived about a 1.5 hrs away. We get a call at 9pm that he won’t come in the house, acting aggressive when BIL picked him up and brought him in (very out of character), and didn’t eat all day (also very out of character). We told them to call the vet ASAP, and I warned that he could very well be in organ failure. Vet echoed what I said and told them that if he seemed comfortable enough overnight they could wait for an appt at 10am the next morning for diagnostics, or take him to the ER vet an hour away. They chose to wait.
At 6am SO gets a phone call that the dog is deteriorating, they hadn’t checked on him throughout the night, but BIL and SIL refuse to drive him to ER. SO jumps in the truck. By the time he gets to his parents house BIL and SIL have left for work, and the dog is laying in a pile of his own urine, vomit and feces. SO calls the vet about euthanasia, but the dog died on his own within about five minutes of SO getting there.
Only cowardly monsters could have left a family pet like that.

5 Likes

I live outside Houston and we are lucky to have both large and small animal emergency vets available in the greater Houston area. I’ve never had to use one of the small animal ER but have used one of the large animal ER when my horse coliced and wasn’t responding to treatment by my vet. Fortunately she made a full recovery without surgery.

That said, if you need to euthanize a small animal such as in the situation of the burned rabbit or the cat that was run over, either ether or dry ice in an enclosed box or Rubbermaid box will work. I’ve used the dry ice method on a chicken. Put the dry ice in a bowl in the corner, put the animal in, add a little water to the bowl and close it up. The chicken was gone in less than a minute.

I agree. I thought about moving a little bit farther out because I thought I might prefer it, but where I am there are a couple of emergency vets within 15 minutes, and more if I drive up to an hour. That was a huge part of why I decided not to do that.
I did have what I consider a bad experience at one emergency vet, but I’m not in a position to say I wouldn’t go back as things are now.
I think I could euthanize a chicken if I had to. One of the dogs I just don’t think I could do.
I have to say, I have a couple people that petsit for me, but in general I prefer kennels. I just think the security is better. I’ve seen a lot with people watching other people’s pets and I just will not go there.
I will say that a few years back I had a pretty bad medical situation with one of the dogs, and from that point on I plan to get insurance. I know people have a variety of experience with it. All I can say is that my experience with Trupanion has been very good.

1 Like

I can not be the only one who would have no idea where to get dry ice in the middle of the night on a weekend, can I?

4 Likes

I used to get it at Kroger, but not middle of the night. I think it was a weekend. I don’t think Kroger sells it any more. But if you can find it, it is a solution on a weekend when vets aren’t open if there is no emergency vet within driving distance.

I think my chances of finding a vet outweigh my chances of finding dry ice somewhere…

7 Likes

I’ve culled baby chicks with CO2 and was horrified at how it went. Took a long time. Cutting heads off baby birds is hard, but it’s a hell of a lot faster.

Wouldn’t consider CO2 humane.

4 Likes

I would not be happy using ether, dry ice, or engine fumes.

I’m a bit of a weirdo I guess, but I have read the AVMA guidelines for accepted humane methods of euthanization, for chickens specifically. If I’m going to do it I want to know that I’m doing it the best way I can. I actually changed the way I processed after reading the guidelines. CO2 is acceptable BUT it needs to be a certain concentration and controlled, it’s just not something the average layman is going to be able to do easily.
As far as I can tell, the only humane method for dogs and cats at home would be a well-placed bullet, and like mentioned many times, it’s not something everyone could, would, or should do.

It’s not an easy topic, for sure.

4 Likes

After reading this thread, I did a little googling. On Backyard Chickens, there are many threads. One poster who supposedly has a background in science said that it depends on the concentration of CO2… according to them, lower levels are analgesic, high levels are not - so you have to “ramp up” concentration… which does not sound particularly feasible with a homemade dry ice contraption.

There are a lot of opinions both ways on CO2/dry ice and how humane (or not) it is if you Google. Depending on the source what is approved for large scale culling isn’t the dry ice method, rather more precise equipment with canisters… although others say large scale culling involves plastic bags and dry ice. Not that our food production industries are known for being humane…

I just think it’s sad that we even have to consider it.

Typically large scale chicken for food butchering uses electricity to stun them and then they’re bled out.

Keep in mind, emergent euthanasia. In my experience (and several others) we’re talking severe trauma in addition to limited or no access to vet care. This is NOT Fluffie has been declining from chronic kidney failure this week or I don’t think Dobbin will make it through the winter. Remember, emergent euthanasia

7 Likes

And in emergent euthanasia, with no access to vet care of any type…you’re going to have time to run out to the grocery store to pick up dry ice, and build a chamber?

Dude. If the animal is that emergent, it’ll pass before you get it all together.

83% of the population lives in urban areas, and that number is only rising. Emergency vet care might not be around the corner for everyone, but it’s not totally unavailable for many. In these urban areas, discharge of a firearm in your backyard may be illegal, and killing the family pet may also be illegal.

You’re really wedded to killing Fluffy yourself, and it’s pretty weird. Just how many times in your life have you actually had a pet–a PET, not a wild animal–that was so badly damaged or ill that it very clearly needed to die ASAP?

3 Likes

I’m not sure why I’m the one getting dry ice?

You are not reading and comprehending my posts if you think I’m wedded to the idea of killing Fluffy. No matter what I say or do will untwist your mind. You’ve also decided the circumstances under which everyone lives and their access to timely vet care. Yep, vet med definitely has problems. Good luck to all.

4 Likes

Erm, I’ve decided that 83% of the population lives in urban areas? I’ve decided that number is rising? I’ve decided that discharge of a firearm is illegal in many suburban backyards? I’ve decided that killing your family pet with whatever is at hand may be illegal?

No. These are actual things that impact your macabre scenario, that you’re just ignoring.

1 Like

Very true Simkie. If I fired a gun in my densely populated community the cops would be here in a hot minute. Not to mention the ripples of accusations and gossip on the Nextdoor app and HOA meeting hahaha.

It would be interesting to see how many urban areas don’t have 24/7 emergency options. I’ve lived in a few different suburbs in multiple states and thankfully always had access to an emergency small animal vet that was at most 20 minutes away.

I can certainly see how it’s a problem for people in more rural areas.

It’s kind of a trade-off. Live in a population-dense surburb or urban area for convenience but have your horses far away and boarded, or, live with your horses on your own land but lose convenience of urban trappings. Both have pros and cons.

I guess if you do live in a suburb and don’t have access to an emergency vet, ask your current, regular 9-5 vet what they recommend. Make a plan together for emergency care, or a specific plan based on your pets history.

“Hey vet, I’m concerned that even though we have fluffy”s seizures under control with medication now, what should I do if he has a massive seizure at night when you are closed?”

Vs.

“hey vet, we both know fluffy eats things he shouldn’t - where should I take him if he eats a bag if paintballs on a Sunday, or he falls out a 2nd story window trying to chase a bird?”

I’ve just never had a small animal vet who would say “sorry you are SOL if your pet needs medical attention while we are closed.” I would hope that they could offer some basic 1st aid /triage options and a referral to the nearest 24/7 option.

3 Likes

As someone who buys dry ice more frequently than probably anyone else here, I’m curious where one supposes they could get enough dry ice to kill a cat or dog in an emergency.

You can’t buy it at grocery stores in all states. Even in states where you can, not all grocery stores carry it. Stock is usually inconsistent, as it rapidly sublimates and a slight delay in delivery or a partially open cooler will result in nothing but empty baggies.

A slow death by asphyxiation sounds pretty awful to me. Labs and facilities that employ euthanasia by CO2 are usually doing it for much smaller animals and with tanks of gas.

1 Like