Unlimited access >

Laminitis or Abscess?

My mustang came up lame yesterday morning, non weight bearing on her right front. I’ve only had her for about a month so I can’t be sure she didn’t have any pre-existing issues when I bought her, but she has had zero lameness until yesterday. Barn owner called me as she saw her laying down more than normal and then lame when she got up. There was a minimal/moderate amount of heat in both fronts so I assumed that to be normal, she had no bounding pulses, appeared to only be sore on the right front. It has been rainy and wet so with how quickly it came on I assumed abscess.

Today I went to go treat her foot/wrap with duct tape, but it was pouring rain and muddy so I opted to just clean it and soak with epsom salts— didn’t want the duct tape boot to cause her to slip in the mud. She was walking much better, seems to be in better spirits, still looks stiff when walking but wants to move more. She has heat in the right front but none in the left.

I texted these photos below to my farrier and he thinks it’s an abscess but said to keep an eye on it/call if it gets worse.

My concerns are A) that she is slightly overweight, has a thick neck and overall is the body type that can be prone to laminitis. B) from my limited knowledge her white line looks stretched on her right front foot when comparing with the left foot. I know laminitis doesn’t USUALLY present in just one hoof, but in my experience with abscesses they usually don’t improve until they blow so it’s odd that she would seem better today. The only thing I can think is that the ground is softer because of the rain so it’s less painful for her to walk on.

I have no experience with laminitis, can anyone tell me if I should be calling the vet ASAP or watch her/treat for abscess as my farrier suggested?

1 Like

I would say abscess too, are you sure it didn’t pop out? It’s not always easy to see, expecially with wet feet/terrain, it could be a really small hole

4 Likes

I’m just guessing, but from your description I think this is probably an abscess for a couple of reasons. First, laminitis is less likely this time of year because the grass isn’t growing and accumulating sugars. Second, wet and muddy conditions can make it easier for an abscess to form.

My horse once had an abscess that seemed to come and go for a couple of months before it finally blew, so don’t rule out an abscess just because she seems better today. My vet has never told me to soak an abscess with Epsom salts. Instead, he has me pad the hoof with Animalintex and then wrap with duct tape and Vetwrap. It wouldn’t hurt to call the vet. He or she might be able to confirm it’s an abscess and locate and drain it for you.

It’s possible that your horse has had a mild laminitis attack in the past that caused the stretched white line. She may be the type of horse that is prone to this in the spring and summer, so keep an eye on her when the grass starts to grow and don’t hesitate to muzzle her.

7 Likes

Never had a vet out for an abscess but have treated several with my previous horse and would always Epsom soak then pad/vetwrap/tape. My main concern with the duct tape boot is that we are in the middle of an “atmospheric river” weather event in California (raining for three days straight) and she’s in a large outdoor paddock. Very thick mud throughout her stall.

2 Likes

It’s very possible! If it weren’t for the odd looking white line I wouldn’t be worried at all as it seemed like classic abscess symptoms…it’s probably unrelated, this just doesn’t look right to me.

1 Like

I am not a professional but she might be a sensitive horse based on how she looks. That white line could be and old sign but it doesn’t look like something is going on now. Laminitis is very unlikely to affect only one foot and there is no pulse plus as @OzarksRider said this is not a dangerous time of the year for grass

2 Likes

Not unusual for an abscess to wax and wane a bit. Part of what makes them so hard to treat when you are in a hurry to get back to your program!

4 Likes

You took great photos!

To me, it looks like an abscess that has at least partially blown out there at the toe.

1 Like

I’d pull insulin. Then you know if you have a problem. It’s not expensive and FAR less money and stress than deailng with laminitis at some point. It’s probably an abscess BUT when you’ve got a breed that is predeposed, a horse that is slightly overweight and a thick neck - and do you mean a crest? A crest is a huge warning flag.

I’ve been dealing with insulin resistance for 30 years. First my Arab, then rescue mutt, and now my mustang. He’s only 10 yrs old but damn if that insulin wasn’t 30. Needs to be 20 or under.

I always say if you think muzzling is cruel, try laminitis.

They say we have more laminitis going on than we think (brewing at times but we miss it) but I’ve never known my horses to get it and do muzzle most of the time.

I’d stopped the last month or so and just this morning saw my vet practice remind everyone that green grass means risk - no matter what time of year and to keep the muzzles on and they are seeing laminitis.

Enough to have me say sorry ponies, we’re going back to them.

4 Likes

Abscesses can absolutely wax and wane. Sometimes they “blow” internally, opening up a new tract, which takes pressure off and makes the horse more comfortable, temporarily. Also, sometimes they do blow out, but the hole is so tiny that you never find it.

4 Likes

By crest do you mean hardened? Because if so then no— she doesn’t look terrible to me but I do think she’s slightly overweight. She also has a thick coat and was shivering yesterday which I’ve read can be related to metabolic issues (granted it was 38 degrees and rainy, but I was told she’s never worn a blanket). She lives on a dry paddock now, no grass and eats Bermuda hay so nothing to worry about grass wise. I’m going to have her feet x-rayed and checked for rotation this next couple of weeks.

I agree she does look good. And I don’t see a hump style crest. But I still say having that level is good to know if she’s out freestyle grazing.

You’re right to just get x-rays. Gives you a baseline to go off of for any future events at the least.
I had 2 vets diagnose a horse with “an abscess” even though I told them I REALLY do not feel that’s what it is despite the presentation and it being spring.
Month later I demanded X-Rays. Double coffin bone fracture - right through the coffin joint. Ugh.

Treat for abscess. Monitor. Get X-rays.

4 Likes

My older mare has cushings, though no insulin problems. Living in central Florida, she has rarely worn even a sheet. but the past couple months she has been cold to the point I had to get her a midweight blanket. Even with her winter/cushings coat…

2 Likes

Wow. That’s crazy with how warm it is there! I’m from Central Florida originally myself actually. I hope Cushings is not what I’m dealing with myself with my new mare as she’s only 14. Is it manageable for yours with meds/a specific feeding regimen?

My mare is coming 22 and retired due to suspensory issues/dropped fetlocks. Diagnosed about 18 months ago. As her insulin so far is OK, no feeding changes and she is still out 12 hours/day. Doing well on 1 prascend/day. If she shows signs of IR that would require a lifestyle change , or if laminitis crops up, I might make the big decision. There is a 12 yr old mare where I board who has cushings, she is also well managed on the meds and still in work with her very ammy owner. Cushings is known to complicate their body temp regulation. Just food for thought.

3 Likes

That is a good question and was it answered on the OP’s horse? What is her age? I also pulled ACTH on my 10yo mustang just for a baseline.

Just this morning was listening to Dr. Van Epps on a Humble Hoof podcast episode and he said and I’d heard before that they do believe/are considering that prolonged hyperinsulemia can lead to PPID. Wow. That is terrible. Avoid it all. It’s like the an iceberg and being on the Titanic.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-humble-hoof/saving-the-laminae-laminitis-prevention-and-rehabi/

She’s 14 almost 15. I was quoted $260 for a basic metabolic panel so I’m assuming everything I would need is in that test? Is ACTH standard or something I would have to pull separate?

ACTH is standard. It is sent off separately though. I pull insulin and ACTH at least annually. Last year I did it now (Feb) and in the summer. It’s just money well spent to me to avert possible disaster.

And at 14 almost 15 I’d be pulling ACTH absolutely. And insulin.

This might answer some questions. Dr. Kellon and her dedicated group of women.

1 Like