Unlimited access >

Large, deep chested dog - dog pajamas?

I have a delicate flower Boxer. He has a very tight coat and gets chilled pretty easily. We have a house that we keep at 72 but at nighttime, he wants under the covers. He has learned how to jam his cold nose on my neck anytime he wants under the covers and happily sleeps fully covered up for hours at a time. I am thinking maybe getting him some comfy pajamas might let me sleep more soundly through the night, without a cold nose wakeup.

Can anyone suggest any soft, not too bulky doggie pajamas that might work for a 72 lb Boxer? He wears a 24" outdoor jacket. I am getting desperate enough to try anything… of course, his “sister” Boxer has a pretty furry, thick coat and can be in the same room, panting on the bed, while he’s chilled.

I’d like them to be of a design where he can go out to potty in them if nature calls. It would also be nice if they had a little bit of leg coverage but are easy to take on and off. He has screws and a plate in his left front, so it’s not very flexible and I think the hardware also makes him get a bit chilled. You all are good shoppers and may have something to suggest - please help! … and no, I am not going to move him to a crate nor am I going to close him out of the bedroom. Poor guy needs more warmth! Photo for cuteness tax.

3 Likes

I would look for pittie pajamas- just google them. They are designed for those big-chested types. We have a supermutt who has a good amount of pitbull in him (even though he has scruffy long hair) and he fits into those. You also might try putting fleece neck warmers on him for extra warmth. We had a Black and Tan Coonhound who loved those. The supermutt wears neck warmers and sweaters all winter.

Cute dog! We have a Boxer mix with that lovely brindling, too- but he hates wearing clothes. He’s never cold, or he would have a full wardrobe!

1 Like

Dog pajamas. I just love that this is a thing :heart:

2 Likes

No Nude hounds makes custom unitards for dogs- Ive had them for danes and mastiffs. The thinner haired guys seem to love them!

1 Like

Same situation here with our dobie. He simply gets cold at night, then insists that he must jam his 90 lbs into bed with us. No one can get any sleep if that happens!

We now keep an indoor-only back on track dog rug as his evening jammies. Keeps him warm enough to sleep on his bed and not bother us. They offer options for a higher tail set so comfy for him to wear. I love their products.

2 Likes

Etsy has a bunch of greyhound/whippet pajamas with legs sets. I haven’t tried them yet because my kids don’t get cold enough, but the look like they fit great and allow for bathroom activities without taking them off. And boxers have a similar body type.

1 Like

Google greyhound pajamas! There are so many options - legs, no legs, front legs only. Different weights, fabrics, etc. Some of the Etsy sellers will make custom ones to measurement.

1 Like

Look into Tooth and Honey. They make dog PJs and other outerwear :grin:, for bully types. They also have male and female styles, the male coats have a larger area on the underside so as not to interfere, if you get my drift.

2 Likes

OH my goodness, you all are the best! I am grateful for the many helpful replies. I have some things to look at and can support him having a cozy 2024. And I really appreciate that - so far - there weren’t any COTH scrooges that offered the sage advice of “He’s a dog. He’ll be fine.” :slight_smile: My boy must not be the only delicate flower out there if there are so many PJ options for large, chilly dogs. Thank you, COTH dog lovers! I’m off to shop!

2 Likes

I can say - I own a weird shaped small dog and needed to get a recovery suit.
I googled and read charts.
Different brands have different proportions.
When I found something that the chart fit the measurements I had I ordered it and it worked out perfectly. It just took some clicking to find something.

That is my long winded way of saying, measure your dog per the charts instructions and go looking and I have no doubt you can find something that will work.
Dog pajamas are really popular now so there are lots of options out there.

Amazon has lots of various options.

Edit to add - In my world, if your dog likes clothes, then your dog should have clothes, lots of fun clothes.

5 Likes

Totally!!! I wish our Boxer-ish liked wearing clothes. I would do him up, but he doesn’t even like wearing a collar. He lived outside for the first 6 years of his life on a chain so I get it. Our other two young dogs have big coats and are never cold, so I can only indulge myself with clothes for the other old guy. He also works from home with dad on the couch, with a pillow under his head and a blanket tucked around his bean-shaped body. :joy:

1 Like

Your picture brought tears to my eyes, as my boxer was a beautiful brindle with white chest markings too. We were best friends for 10 years.

She was a tiny 55 lb girl, but she wore the outdoor coats that are cut like horse blankets. We could adjust those over her boxer chest and slim boxer waist. We never had any luck with pajamas. I think I’ll look into those pitbull jammies if/when my heart heals enough for another boxer!

2 Likes

I really like RC Pets and Fido Fleece for my ridgebacks.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had to buy but this looks about like what I have in RC Pets

Sigh, Fido Fleece is no more, but here’s the same style:

I like that both of these offer chest and some belly coverage. The RC Pets goes on without having to handle legs, and the other is a step in on the front. Neither is difficult to get on or off.

1 Like

Ahhh, the love of a Boxer. Nothing quite like it. They are the BEST of best friends. I’d encourage you to look into rescue, when you are ready. Because they are in the Top 20 Most Popular Breeds there are so many out there that need a home. Not everyone really knows what they are getting into when they buy a Boxer puppy. Having had one you know they can be hell on wheels in all the fun ways.

The boy in the photo is named Nacho. He needed a cheese name because he is a rescue from Wisconsin. He is a very.good.boy.

1 Like

I like Chewy’s wool sweaters for my boxer pit cross.

Riley would put his head in the sweater when he wanted it on. Another favorite was when I would layer a Ruff Wear fleece under the sweater for added warmth as he aged. He lived in this Chewy wool sweater most of the winter. I would wash and line dry them weekly and he had a rotation of 3 or so. I got a size bigger so it would drape past his tail down this hindend.

These are what a lot of Doberman people use: http://www.madebymeadowcat.com/regular-fleece-coats.html

My Dobe boy has now passed, but he loved his Made by Meadowcat jammies and would wiggle from excitement when I pulled them out. They fit him very well, and he wore the same set most of his adult life (lived until almost 13).

Look for greyhound clothes, there are many on Etsy. They have similar body type and greys are always cold so there’s a lot of choice!
Here’s my boy in his nightsuit

Or you can use an old wool vest, doesn’t cover back end and legs but it’s comfy for the night

1 Like

I second Tooth and Honey. My girl (rip) LOVED their coats. Like, never, ever wanted me to take them off, and would only stand still for removal if I had a clean one ready to replace it with, loved them.

She had that deep, wide chest, thick neck, and high waist and theirs were the first doggy clothes that really fit her well.

2 Likes

How do these go on/fasten? They look nice, but not a single one of the pictures really shows how they are constructed.

Unless she’s changed the design, they go over the dog’s head and then you pull their front legs through the leg holes. Similar to putting a shirt on yourself. Might be a pain for some dogs who are wiggly or resistant to wearing a coat/jammies. My guy was a “you can do anything you want to me” type of guy, so they went on real easy with him.

1 Like