Unlimited access >

"latecomer" to college? IHSA possibilities?

A thousand pardons if this has been previously talked about!

I am entering community college as a 21 year old this fall. I screwed around in high school, had horrendous, not-to-be-spoken-of grades, and left with the attitude that college would never be “for me.”

I am currently eating my words and am driven/motivated to settle into academia. I’m obsessing over the idea of getting top grades and transferring into a four-year come junior year. I also want to continue riding, and have always liked the idea of IHSA.

Does age affect you in the process? Do they reject you because you haven’t been there since Freshman year? How does this work, anyhow? Are you recruited, do you try-out, or is anyone allowed to join up?

If anyone at all has entered college later rather than sooner, on that note, talk with me!

When I was in college, there were a few older girls on the IHSA team. They had to try out just like everybody else. IIRC they were in their mid-late 20’s.

I would think that as long as you meet the academic requirements, and are an enrolled undergrad, your age wouldn’t be a factor. Wasn’t there some 40-something NCAA basketball player at some university a few years back?

@Superminion
Relief!

@ybiaw
No kidding? I think I may have to find some sort of link to this!

I did some other schooling after high school, decided I wanted to go to college and didn’t get around to trying out until my 3rd year. I was 23-24 for my IHSA years. You try out like anyone else!!

I’ve even gone so far as checking the IHSA rulebook and it seems to indicate that you’re eligible so long as you’re an undergrad.

But does anyone know what the rule is if it’s your second round of undergrad? As in, I’m in my mid-20s and have my BS degree, but am going back to full-time undergrad this fall. Currently undeclared (how I applied), but I have every intention of declaring after I get on campus. I’m in a better situation to try for the IHSA team this time around. But will I be disqualified since I’ve graduated once?

[QUOTE=baref00t;7102767]
I’ve even gone so far as checking the IHSA rulebook and it seems to indicate that you’re eligible so long as you’re an undergrad.

But does anyone know what the rule is if it’s your second round of undergrad? As in, I’m in my mid-20s and have my BS degree, but am going back to full-time undergrad this fall. Currently undeclared (how I applied), but I have every intention of declaring after I get on campus. I’m in a better situation to try for the IHSA team this time around. But will I be disqualified since I’ve graduated once?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if things have changed - it has been a while since I did IHSA :winkgrin:

I competed IHSA for my full 4 years, but ended up on the 4 1/2 year plan to graduate. I was not eligible that last semester as I had already competed for 4 full years. This was a NCAA regulated program if that means anything.

Oh, I take it back, it wasn’t a 40-something it was a 60-something. But it was NAIA, not NCAA.

But still.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-09-06/61-year-old-vietnam-vet-becomes-unlikely-college-football-kicker

The sky’s the limit!

I rode in the IHSA and there were many people who went to college late. The only requirements that I know of are that you need to be a full time student (<12 credits a semester) and that you cannot compete more for more than four years. I don’t think your age matters.

Check the rule book at: http://www.ihsainc.com/rules. You have to be on your first undergraduate degree and you cannot ride Alumni unless you showed an an undergrad.

[QUOTE=Darden;7104390]
Check the rule book at: http://www.ihsainc.com/rules. You have to be on your first undergraduate degree…[/QUOTE]

Can you please tell me where you see this? Sorry, I’m not finding it. I did look.

OP, most of your questions depend on the school you’re applying for. But the answers won’t change if you’re 19 or 29. We had several older students on our team (mid-late 20’s) and they were always awesome! Just be aware that most of the team leadership will probably be younger than you. :slight_smile:

There wasa gentleman who played for (basketball) IUPUI that’s was 32 or 37. He was in the Navy before he went to college. This was in the early 2000’s thinking 02 03. I was a march madness crazy back then. I could tell you all relevant stats for all 64 teams both men and women. I was so bad that I locked my brother in the closet so he couldn’t steal the tv. Lol

Age doesn’t matter, nor does entering as a freshman. You will have to contact the college team and find out what their procedures are. Some take everyone who is interested. Others have try-outs. Some teams are fully funded by the colleges - others require students to pay for some expenses, like weekly lessons or travel to shows.

You have to be a full-time undergrad to be eligible. You are allowed to compete for 8 semesters (totaling 4 years of school). However, you have five years to complete those 8 semesters from the time you first fill out the paperwork.