Unlimited access >

Latest article from Jeremy Steinberg about rider position and guidelines/rules

https://www.horsemagazine.com/thm/2024/02/jeremy-steinberg-rider-position-a-lost-cause/

Lots of interesting and valid points in this, thought I would share.

Agree or disagree, civil discussion is always good.

9 Likes

My trainer growing up always taught that form follows function. The most effective position is also correct equitation. My trainer now teaches the same way, though maybe with a little less emphasis. So I’m with him. Drives me nuts to see legs swinging, unsteady hands, and water skiing.

Part of it I think is laziness on the part of the riders, which is ridiculous considering these are professionals for the most part. I know I’m not in the best shape, but especially for the sitting trot work moving up to 2nd level. I won’t show until I can sit acceptably, if not beautifully.

9 Likes

Lots of good points. I do think he’s conflating some complex things…if everyone were all to ride 100% “correctly” it wouldn’t fix the problem of tense, overbent and disunited horses with big knee action being scored over less dramatic and softer horses.

There also has to be a little allowance for riders with physical limitations, but I doubt those are in the majority.

At the end of the day, to fix what he sees requires a systemic overhaul, starting with what we breed, how we train it, how we ride it, how that ride is scored, who wins, which will affect……what we breed.

9 Likes

I very much agree!

1 Like

excellent…thank you for posting it!

1 Like

I’m very much obsessed with the importance of proper equitation. It is of crucial importance.

4 Likes

Wonderful article, though I do feel the section on “not pretty riders, but effective” is missing some context. As a former hunter rider, I have always taken that statement to mean that a person may not look like a leggy supermodel (equitation rider) but still be a wonderful rider. The whole eating disorder/body dysmorphia thing in hunters is very real, so it wasn’t about a rider beating a horse around, but being a really good rider who wasn’t a size 0 in breeches.

I would add to that, though, that I cringe when I have heard people say, “It often has to get ugly before it gets pretty” when implying rough riding tactics are necessary in training to lead to a better outcome.

I also had a trainer once talk about the ideal equitation being described when a horse is in balance, and if a horse is out of balance, then to actually be centered or whatever, the rider might have to deviate from the exact equitation outline. To go along with his discussion on yelling - it would mean for a green/spoiled horse, a rider would “sound out” the aid, akin to Sesame Street, before normally saying the word. So a big opening rein, dramatic turn of the upper body, very clear repositioning of inside/outside aids - not harsh or loud, but made obvious for a green horse. In that way, I can understand the get ugly before pretty, because eventually a turning aid would go from emphasized twist of body and opening rein to slight turn of body/lifting/opening aids. Being unbalanced and out of control of the body on a youngster is not okay, but actually using the full body to really make things clear, that I do see as fair. Am I wrong there?

But wonderful article and what was sort of unsaid - are we “FEI” - embracing the new trends with the changes? Why? Money/power of those at the highest levels?

3 Likes

Good points. If you watch Jeremy ride any of his young horses on his YouTube channel (some are very early rides, from 8th ride under saddle and longer) it will make sense. He definitely rides them as quiet as possible imo. I know I don’t look like that on my green horse for sure but I do work on my position a lot when I can.

Editing to add, I think his point is yes sometimes we need to be “louder” to be clear to the horse but we should always be working on be able to refine that too. Quiet as you can be while be effective.

I’m sure as a clinician he sees it all!

5 Likes

Now I want to go and watch the World Cup so I can see what he means. Does anyone know the initials of the rider he is talking about vs going through 4+ hours of video?

Interesting article. Lots of good points, and many things that I agree with and can understand.

I’ve brought along most of my horses from close to the beginning, and will be the one backing my current young horse and getting him started. There was a time where I didn’t necessarily care how things looked as long as it got it done, but I was always somewhat aware of my body and how it influences the horse. It wasn’t until I started riding and then owning an Iberian that things really set in. They’re wonderfully sensitive by nature, I find.

Form, balance, awareness, and my influence on the horse’s body with my own are always at the forefront. Especially with the younger horses when you’re shaping them into being a proper ridden horse. I try as hard as I can to start correctly so that the horse knows correct from day one. I also have to be careful not to get into defensive riding habits, and I’ve seen many do this especially when riding a lot of green horses or horses in training for one issue or another.

I’m also a big fan of riding as quiet as effectively possible. You can still have clear aids this way. The horse doesn’t need a spur or a heel soo far back during canter departs or flying changes.

A friend used to say that she barely saw me do anything while on my horse yet we were doing all of the things. That’s how I like it. Subtle, quiet, yet clear communication. Horses can be incredibly sensitive to our bodies.

11 Likes

I’ve never used the term “uglier before it gets better” to mean being abusive, what I use it as is that my horse is going to resist and be silly while I keep plugging away at being as quiet and clear as I can to him. Warrick Schiller talks about a horse that seems quiet but is really shut down will become spooky and or flighty as he works out the emotions he was forced to hide (he being the horse). Just as I have used the term “a lot of wet saddle blankets” to mean a lot of hours will be needed for training before my horse is a steady-eddy rather than I’m going to ride the snot out of my horse. A lot of forward miles (forward as in a positive forward movement not rushing the horse off it’s feet) really helps a horse clear it’s head and releases body tension. People like to go to the gym to work off tension from the work day, horses also need that muscle work, especially if they don’t have a large pasture turnout.

14 Likes

Wet saddle blankets typically describes many long, hard training sessions.

I don’t personally believe in that necessity.

3 Likes

I do agree with a lot of this. I’ve been in training situations where I knew it’d be “ugly” at first. I mean, even my youngster figuring out long lining with a bit had it’s moments of, “ok, now I put my head up high, no, now I’ll go with my head low, ok, but what if I slow down, well, now I’ll gooo” just trying to figure it all out. I remained calm and consistent, then praised and made it clear when he offered or found the right thing to do.

Training sessions are as long as they need to be.

11 Likes

Yeah you’ve brought your feelings up about the phrase before. Just because it means one thing for you doesn’t mean that’s the way others use it. You like to jump on words or phrases that other equestrians say as proof they are all horse abusers. Does the lady doth protest to much?

9 Likes

OMG you just described an ArabX I rode years ago. :smile: But once he figured out what was being asked of him he was a star.

2 Likes

This is tiresome. When I post I post the truth. Always. No hidden agenda. No I don’t abuse my horse since that’s what you’ve implied. I’m sure you have your reasons for thinking ill of me but do understand your reasons or personal vendetta or whatever this is that you think you’re doing in any way affect what I’m doing or what I will be doing.

I seek humane treatment for horses. That’s it. If that is beyond your understanding or you don’t like it, tough tacos.

I also have no idea why you would think I’m inferring everyone is a horse abuser. I have not. I will not. I never have. Your impression of my posts is wrong.

And I have zero doubt that my understanding of the term wet saddle blankets is the understanding of many other people as well. I’m a long timer in this industry. I know my stuff. When I commented it was to offer the fact that others see the term differently. It was not a challenge to you.

As to why YOU can’t seem to understand another poster having a different interpretation of a word is rather weird. Perhaps examine that.

Oh came across this. Seems I’m not the only one VERIFIED
http://www.equinebehavior.net/previousquestions/wetsaddleblankets.htm

1 Like

That photo of Ahlerich, he’s just so beautiful and looks so light and effortless. I’m not up to date on every top level horse and rider, but are there any that could match that outline today?

3 Likes

Is that the rider on the bay-third riding photo down?<3

@pony_baloney I agree! 1984 was the last time I enjoyed watching upper level dressage.

@Knights_Mom :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: you are so noble, I bow to you and say “halt, halt” :racehorse:

Do NOT compare me to LK.

What is wrong with you? Seriously. Are you unable to have a civilized conversation?