Unlimited access >

Latest greatest bareback pads

anyone have input on the latest greatest in bareback pads that don’t cost as much as a saddle? Was looking at the Brockamp pad, but also don’t want to wait until at least winter to purchase if I go forward.
Also found the CAS pad interesting, but more of a dressage cut…

Mostly looking for something well padded for both horse & my comfort. Relatively high wither, but not shark finned. As I am an older rider would prefer something with a little support I think. Mostly thinking about just wandering around the area on the days it is too hot to tack up & really work. Would be great if I got secure enough to w/t/c, but right now I certainly don’t have the confidence to do that bareback anymore.

Don’t want stirrups, would prefer a dressage girth attachment, but that’s not necessarily a deal breaker. Extra points if there is a good return policy in case this turns out to be a bad idea…

For security and support, my absolute favorite are the the Christ Lammfelle pads. They have ones with bumpers in front and back. Unfortunately, they are pretty expensive, though

I’ve heard good things about the Barefoot Physio Ride-On bareback pads but haven’t tried them.

2 Likes

I have and like the Skito. It’s nicely padded and has some support to keep you right off the spine (same material that they use for treeless saddle pads). It also has a grab handle and can come with dressage billets. It’s not specifically listed on their website anymore - they do it as a custom order now. https://www.skitosaddlepads.com/

I’ve heard good things about the Thinline, but haven’t ridden in one personally. I’ve drooled over the Christ pad. Their sheepskin is lovely, just more than I want to spend on a bareback pad.

I have one and I love it. I borrowed a barnmates pad and after riding in it bought one of my own. Really nicely shaped and padded without being in the way.

I really like the custom one I had TrailMaster make. I did end up selling it- just because I didn’t use it enough really though

I second this. Really nice pad.

I have a Thinline bareback pad. I don’t love the girth attachment but otherwise I do like it. I combine it with a sheepskin lined saddle pad and it’s like being on a couch.

From someone who owns a Brockamp, I’ll tell you it’s a 10/10.

It IS, however, more of a dressage cut. So if that’s not your thing, it may feel a bit strange.