Lawsuit filed re: death of jumper near Aiken

This is pretty horrifying. Allegedly the horse was found dead, tied to the stall with a rope halter because he refused to load to go to a show and hung himself. Just a heads up to anyone in that area that may encounter this trainer/farm- Shannon Eckel of Hat Trick Sporthorses. (I have no personal knowledge of her or the situation, simply sharing the news article that I saw.)

2 Likes

OMG, that’s heartbreaking.
I just took a quick scan through the article but didn’t see anything about animal cruelty charges? It specifically mentions being deprived of food and water along with the way he was tied. I would imagine no access to water – in July, no less – should’ve raised some questions.

If the owner’s account is accurate, how some people sleep at night is beyond me. Though sadly, over the years, I’ve known more than one person I could see getting frustrated enough over a horse not loading to leave one like this

11 Likes

Well, that’ll teach him not to get on the trailer! Ugh.

19 Likes

For non-subscribers: https://news.yahoo.com/lawsuit-filed-following-death-horse-235500771.html

It’s infuriating that this crap still goes on!!!

7 Likes

Exactly. So this is how that “trainer” thinks? This is how they believe they’re making some kind of point with a horse? Yeah, that Irish sport horse sure learned its lesson.

Sweet baby Jesus. What a completely avoidable tragedy.

20 Likes

That an alleged Professional acted like this is proof this country needs some sort of licensing system for horse trainers or anyone accepting payment for their care.
Yes, BOs included.
So, much, STOOPID the horses pay for.

28 Likes

It’s been a couple years now since I returned to horses from some time away and I still find myself regularly marveling at changes in thinking regarding horsekeeping. – Everything from saddle fit to how many times a day you feed to turnout – looking to pain and communication first, when it comes to the cause of behavioral problems. Clipping.

So now, when I hear story like this, as naive as it sounds, it’s even more mind-blowing. It’s like seeing someone regularly drive without a seatbelt or smack their kid in public. I know, I know, people do all sorts of awful things (no one needs to remind me of the retirement farm case) but, still. It’s still. WTF.

21 Likes

This is horrifying :cry:

6 Likes

I don’t want to read the article because it will probably upset me too much.

Horses have so many different ways to kill themselves that it’s absolutely stupid to help them along with that aim by doing something like this. Stupid stupid “trainer”.

26 Likes

Here’s the really sad thing; USEF can’t do anything because it did not take place at a show. Terrifying that “trainers” think horses actually process the consequences of their behavior. Scary thing is I think I reached out to that trainer years ago when we were leasing out a medium pony!!

That poor horse. :broken_heart::broken_heart:

13 Likes

And that will do nothing to ease her broken heart over how her horse was treated. I don’t blame her a bit for during…but I’d want to stone her, too.

3 Likes

The death of this horse saddens me. I will tap into the Aiken area farrier’s information grapevine this week.

10 Likes

& Pass the “knowledge” <NOT! along to clients.
Many years ago, when I saw a horse tied very short in the stall, I asked the owner (kid’s horse, Mom owner) why.
& Was told horse had to think about what he’d done wrong.
{headwallheadwallheadwall} :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

She needs to be arrested and charged.

13 Likes

And she posted this when it happened, and called him the face of her farm.

5 Likes

I bought a horse from her a few years ago.

My impression was that she was very young and a little immature and probably would have benefited from being in business with someone more experienced before striking out on her own. And she was a little “rough and ready” but not wildly so.

I’m really saddened to hear this. That was exceptionally poor judgment and poor horsemanship and even if she didn’t mean any harm the outcome was HORRIBLE. I feel awful for the horse and his owner.

18 Likes

SOCIOPATH!!

:cry::cry: unbelievable

8 Likes

I guess that answers the question re how people sleep at night.
Total detachment and an utter lack of awareness, self or otherwise.

15 Likes

USEF does have to wait until the courts are through, but then she can be sanctioned for any penalties that relate to animal abuse.

11 Likes

How awful. It’s appalling that there are so-called “trainers” out there who feel that this is an appropriate way to deal with a horse. What was she thinking!?

4 Likes