Unlimited access >

Leaking rubber boot repair?

Could well be; I just retired a 10yo pair that were starting to develop age cracks in the outer layer.
But my usage is probably 90% cold weather/snow/poopsicles. We get mud in CO, but it rarely lasts long.

1 Like

I was disappointed how quickly 2 pairs of rubber boots sprung leaks. Are there any tricks to getting them to last longer? I wondered if my leaving them on my porch exposed to sun and heat had to do with their quick demise?

I was browsing the Le Chameau website (so pretty…) and here’s what they say for product care:

RUBBER BOOT CARE

• Clean your boots with nothing more than water and a brush.
  • Let the boots air dry.
  • Use a silicone spray and polish using a soft, dry cloth.
  • Keep your boots in a dry and ventilated place, away from direct sunlight and away from any heat source.
  • If the boots get wet, please dry the lining thoroughly before using them again. Crumpled newspaper will help.
  • If storing your boots for a long period, clean them thoroughly and store away from direct sunlight in a cool, dry place.
2 Likes

Cofra brand boots don’t seem to break down. They are big and ugly and fabulous.

I just took a look and the waterproof boots have a steel toe cap, which I understand is not ideal for working with horses (maybe that’s a myth?)

For Surety. The Suns ultraviolet light breaks intermolecular bonds in the rubber (in most any sort of organic material for that matter), the material becomes “dried out” and brittle, cracks form, and the rest is history. There are things you can use that will slow this process, but ultimately if they are kept out of the Sun they will last 2X - 3X or more longer. Any rubber as far as that goes; tires, rubber hose, rubber parts on your car . . . Excess heat will have a negative impact as well, but UV light is the major player.

I can’t imagine why it would make any difference unless it made the toe so bulky that you couldn’t get it in a stirrup (if that even mattered to you). Your farrier probably wears steel-toed boots; ours has boots with a metatarsal guard as well. They are there solely for safety. However, all other things being equal, a steel toe will make for a colder, heavier boot.

1 Like

Adding on, sorry for extra post, but haven’t made it to 2nd coffee yet this am LoL. If you’re not a fan of the giant ugly Cofra boot and prefer more traditional rubber boot look, the other brand that lasts well in harsh conditions is Dunlop. Imo, they don’t stand up as well and aren’t nearly as comfortable as Cofra, but they are heaps better than Joe no name or Fred Fancy Ass branded rubber boot.

1 Like

Wouldn’t steel toes flatten if stepped on by a half-ton horse, damaging (and trapping) your toes?

This stuff is reputed to be great for repairing boots. Inexpensive enough to be worth a try.

1 Like

Well, they’d better not, as that sort of loading is exactly what they are designed to protect against.
Actually, having your toes stomped is painful, and might result in a broken toe(toes), especially with a shod horse, But Metatarsal injuries are far more serious, and the steel toe doesn’t address that at all.
Learning to be vigilant about your foot placement is, in the long run, your best bet. If I’m standing in close proximity to any of mine (and they are all very tame), I keep one hand on shoulder or rump, so if the horse “Starts” towards me, it tends to push me away from getting stepped on.

Tell me about it. I was trampled several years ago in a situation involving a gate, two fresh horses in hand, and a surprise hay elevator. I just missed a “Lisfranc” fracture and was non weight bearing for 6 weeks. That top of the foot is super vulnerable.

I’ve had really great luck with Baffin boots. This insulated pair lasted for almost 15 years before they started to crack: https://www.baffin.com/products/86040000

Don’t actually wear them??? ( just kidding) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

We keep our inside the house when not wearing them and they still crack. I think everything is made to be disposable now- a - days.