Unlimited access >

Leaking rubber boot repair?

Much of the rest of the world is entering spring and I’m starting to see photos of puddles and mud. That means here in the frozen tundra of the Canadian prairies we can expect the spring thaw in another 2-9 weeks, depending on mother natures moods.

I have a pair of hunter brand ankle boots that I have used for the last three years. At some point last spring they sprung a leak and so I just dealt with wet socks instead of looking for a new pair. This year I’m thinking ahead and wonder if anyone has successfully repaired rubber boots that have a leak in the sole somewhere… or should I just go spend the $30-50 bucks for a new pair?

Note that I didn’t buy the hunters because I love the brand, but because they were on clearance for $30 at Costco when rubber boots were on my shopping list. I’m not dying to repair just to keep these ones around, but rather to reduce the environmental impact… Rubber boots only get about 3-4 weeks of wear each year in my area, so it feels so wasteful to allow them to age without use each year.

My other footwear for the other 45-50 weeks each year are blundstones, so they don’t satisfy the waterproof criteria.

Interesting question! Can you identify the leak hole? Sometimes rubber boots have one puncture, other times they just start to crack and fail across the sole.

Do these have insoles? Can you take out the insole, put them in water, see where the leak is? Could you put a layer of silicon goop on the inside under the insole? The stuff you use for caulking?

I do think rubber boots deteriorate with age even if unworn

2 Likes

There are products made for this, Shoe Goo is one brand. A friend just put a plastic bag around her foot before putting on that boot; worked until her husband bought her a new pair. Then I inherited the boots, but supplied my own plastic bag.

5 Likes

My Winter rubber boots ( Itasca) split about an inch long on the top on one boot. I tried shoe glue and it does not adhere correctly to keep water out, just peels off when wet.

If you want to save the environment get an expensive brand that lasts and find a way to repurpose your current boots.

Maybe fill them with potting soli and plant flower seeds?

2 Likes

I wonder if a patch kit for a rubber/inflatable boat would do the trick? My son tried the spray version of flex tape on some boots and it failed miserably.

1 Like

I have a pair of rubber boots I plan to get a bicycle innertube repair kit to fix. But my leak is on the side, near the ankle, I don’t if I would try it on the sole.

1 Like

I’d love to buy a pair that will last 10+ years but it seems that the waterproof boots (rubber usually) break down over a few years (or less with the cheapest ones). Do you have a recommendation for something higher quality that will last?

I feel like Hunter is supposed to be higher quality as they are over $100 CAN full price. I think rubber and plastic just deteriorate. I have shoes with rubber soles that are crumbling.

2 Likes

This is what I was wondering. I guess my Hunter boots making it nearly 3 seasons might be the best I can expect.

I had a pair of Hunter boots($100), HellyHenson ($59) and then Storm Kings ($19) from Blain’s or some place…

The Hunters leaked first and they were the most expensive!

1 Like

I bought a pair of men’s thick soled rubber boots pretty cheap at Walmart and I think they’re going on season 6 or 7.

2 Likes

Hunter boot quality tanked when the company changed manufacturing locations years ago. I changed to Le Chameau and they are outstanding - mine are 5 years old and no leaks, plus more comfy than Hunters. Not cheap, but so far over 5 years lots cheaper than Hunters!

1 Like

I can’t shell out the $100+ for Muck or Bogs.
Instead, every 2-3yrs, I buy TSC kids’ boots (Boys 6 fits my 8 foot) on clearance for around $15.
I’ve tried Shoe Goo & other adhesives w/o any luck :persevere:

& I have 3 or 4 pairs that will be planted as you suggest this Spring :grin:
I’m thinking pansies & line them up on my front steps & maybe marigolds for the rest of the Summer.

3 Likes

You might try a bicycle innertube patch, but don’t be too hopeful.
Best solution is a new pair, and I have one word for that. “Muck.”
You won’t be in the market for a new pair for a good long while.

2 Likes

Shoe goo fixes anything. Belongs on the shelf next to the duct tape

1 Like

They have a shade of pink and a green that are on sale right now… currently contemplating how ridiculous (or not) I would look in them…

1 Like

I have used Muck, Itasca and Boggs all with the same results. I can only get a couple of years out of them before we spring a leak somewhere :rage:

The only exception was my first par of Muck boots I had in MN. They lasted about 6 years( 4 in MN and 2 in MO) . I think they do better in cold and snow–as opposed to water and mud.

2 Likes

I have to wear something that gives me arch support . My daughter can wear plain rubber boots but I would be hobbling after several hours. I get mine used on Ebay! I get my Ariat’s that way too. I am not grossed out at wearing someone else’s shoes and I get them for $ 30.

If I can’t find them I will buy them at my somewhat local shoe store.

1 Like

I’ll have to check eBay & Poshmark. :+1:
I’d love to get a namebrand that might last longer than 3yrs.
I have an Uber-high arch, but oddly these cheap boots are comfy to me.

1 Like

My DH tries to repair his hunting boots. So far nothing has worked.

1 Like