Unlimited access >

Leaky gut

Does anyone have any info on leaky gut? It was brought to my attention my horse may have leaky gut. What brought this up was horse was allergy tested and came back positive for things he has been exposed to daily for his whole life with me but never broke out in hives or anything. He had a few days of heavy shallow breathing after hot days 2 years ago and vet came out checked him out everything was good and suggested allergy testing him to see if it was pollen. I did and came back on about 6 thing s but the markers were low (100-200). When leaky gut was mentioned to me, it was bc the allergy test were low and that’s common with leaky gut which causes low sensitivity on the allergy panel. He can have looser manure but not cow patties loose and it’s never whole pile. Half is softer half is normal. He has great coat and weight. Never any eating issues. He does have sensitive fronts (no founder or laminitis) and he is good with front shoes. Lady who mentioned leaky gut said a lot horses have sensitive fronts with it as well as sore back and hamstrings. I did look up leaky gut and what it’s all about and it just said like good forage, good digestive with lpre and probiotics, hot days can effect it (imagine stress from heat) low sugar diet. Good horse husbandry. He is always on free choice good hay. He is outside 24/7 unless bad weather then stalled but he has no issues being stalled. He is on tc30. So his diet is pretty good in the low nsc department. He doesn’t act like he as ulcers. Just curious if anyone has any insight on leaky gut. I asked my vet and she honestly told me she would have to look it up. I don’t live in a heavy populated horse area so horse vets are hard to find and most don’t know much beside basic gelding and such.

Who is “the lady who mentioned leaky gut?” is there any reason to believe her or is she just another barn rando? What does this woman think leaky gut is? Its a currently popular pseudo science term in human and horse health.

If a horse in my care had consistently loose manure I would drop back to just hay or forage and run a course of probiotics, like Herbs for Horses probio plus which has worked for me on several horses.

1 Like

I was listening to a pod cast from The Feed Room Chemist that was describing what leaky gut is and the different things that can heal and support a healthy GI tract. I found it very interesting. It would be worth the time to listen.

Blue Bonnet (Dr Jyme, Feed Room Chemist) has a good article on this, as does Triple Crown. Highly recommend reading