Unlimited access >

Lease termination advice

currently dealing with a trainer who leases my horse that has made huge decisions without my knowing- including the last one to retire him. at this point i want to bring him home and she will not comply. I’m reading some things about writing a 30 day notice to bring him home, also have been told the race commission will suspend her until he is returned, or contacting the USTA. can anyone on here give me any advice how to handle this?

What does your lease contract say about either party ending the lease?

The race commission part of your post makes me think you are talking about TB or such that is actively racing. If that is the case, you might get a better answer in the racing section of the forum.

I can not imagine why a trainer would want to pay the bills on a horse that is doing nothing if the owner wants to take it back. Is there more to this story that would help us give you a better answer?

3 Likes

This makes me go hmmmmm

OP do you have eyes on the horse? Worst case scenario but could your horse have been sold/leased/deceased without your knowledge?

There was a lady in NC taking free or inexpensive leases from long distance owners and then leasing or selling them without the owner’s consent or knowledge. Which is why I ask.

4 Likes

It must be a Standardbred-- USTA is US Trotting Association.

1 Like

Oh, good catch @Highflyer1!

I would get someone if you can’t to go look at the horse and make sure everything is okay with it. Make sure it isn’t lame, injured or worse. Have the USTA send a letter to her saying she will be suspended if she doesn’t comply by returning your horse. Also, pay a lawyer to review your lease and then do a memo addressed to her to say you have terminated the lease and said horse must be returned immediately. If you have to have the horse shipped to you state that shipping has been arranged and horse will be picked up on XX date.

8 Likes