Several months ago I started a quarter lease on a Percheron X Friesian mare, hoping to get my first real show season under my belt - I’m in college and ride on an IHSA team during school so I could only manage a quarter lease, 2 rides a week, $200 a month. She’s a great mare and we’re pretty well matched. She’s a fantastic ride and definitely ready to move up to first level competition.
My goal is to earn my bronze medal by the time I graduate college (3 more years) so I was hoping to get quite a few shows in - enough to master training level and get my qualifying scores at First Level by the end of the season.
But just this week my trainer decided to have a new rider try her out - on my scheduled ride day - and asked me to ride on a different day instead. Which was fine. But now she’s saying that this new lady wants to do a quarter lease (which leaves me wondering how the horse will manage the work load… 4 leased rides and two training rides a week leaves one day off and that’s if her owner never rides - she’s a draft after all, and she needs her downtime), and that we’ll have to coordinate our ride days however we want, and that it might not even be a fixed schedule (which doesn’t really work for me)… And that this rider wants to show her, so our show weekends would be split with me riding one day and her riding the next. This might work out just fine, being that we can split fees and such. But I’m worried that the horse will be over worked and that I won’t get to show as much as I need to to get my qualifying scores.
Friends have advised me to start looking for a different lease situation… Which might be a good idea since this barn is a good hours drive from where I’m staying this summer. But she’s a very nice horse! And I’m doubtful that I’ll find a better situation, let alone a horse that I can just jump on and start showing this month.
What would you do? Am I being over reactive? Should I just wait and see how the situation pans out?
Thanks for input