My mare has been bred twice and despite everything looking good on ultrasound, she is not pregnant. We are going to try again, but the stallion contract limits us to 3 breedings. In the event that she doesn’t take, I am trying to decide if I want to buy a broodmare or lease one.
Where should I begin my search? I could buy a new mare, ride her/train her this year, and use the contract next year, if nothing else. My budget isn’t huge so I would be a bit limited. Honestly thinking about looking at Off the track thoroughbreds, not sure I could afford a warmblood. Maybe an appendix?
Or I could look for a broodmare lease. Is a free lease type situation typical for a broodmare lease?
Fingers crossed that my mare takes this time and this is unnecessary. I’m also considering switching vets, just to get a second opinion and make sure we aren’t missing something.