Unlimited access >

Leasing out horse that normally lives at home?

I’m considering leasing out my 9 year old WB mare as I’m pregnant and won’t be riding for a long while. My trainer found her for me a few years ago and she was in full training with her for a couple of years. She was just about to move up to the adult hunters when we started having some soundness issues due to shoeing (NPA) so I brought her home while that was resolved and she’s been here ever since.

Admittedly, I haven’t done much with her since she’s been home the past year. She showed a bit last summer, then was off over winter. I started to bring her back this spring then found out I was pregnant. I hate seeing her sit for the next year (or more) and have considered reaching out to my trainer to see if she has any clients she thinks would be a good fit for a lease.

In my mind, it would be nice to get back a horse who’s been in work all year when I’m ready to ride again, rather than a semi-feral horse that’s been living in my field :rofl: .However, it does mean finding another companion (I’m thinking a low-maintenance pony type) for my retired gelding.

In your opinion, do I charge for the lease or just do a care lease given the fact she’s been out of work? Anything else I need to consider? She’s already insured…

Congrats on the baby 2 B!:baby:
Can you do a sort of convertible lease?
Since she’d go back to a trainer you know & trust, maybe start as a Care Lease & as training progresses (assuming lessor will want to show) change the terms?
I’m thinking of Sale ads that say “price increases with training”

My recommendation for a companion (based on my success):
Get a mini :sunglasses:
Unless you want a pony you can ride… Or for the future kid :wink:

1 Like

I would do a 6 or 12 month care lease and have them pay the insurance, with the idea that if everything goes well with coming back into work and you continue to lease, it would be a paid lease if it renews or when you find a new leasee.

1 Like

I would consider a horse that has not done anything for the last year, partially because of soundness issues, as a care lease.

7 Likes

Yes, I agree. That being said, I would also advise OP protecting the horse by writing limitations into the lease. For a free lease, I personally would not want the lessee overjumping or overshowing the horse.

4 Likes

If the horse is out of work, I’d do a care lease with some pretty strict terms. Horse must stay boarded and in training with same trainer, horse can’t jump over X’, or jump more than twice a week. Horse can’t be taken off the property without your permission. A lot of this will depend on how much you trust your trainer and her program, and whether lessee is in full or partial training.

You could even write into the contract, if lessee wishes to start jumping over X’, or showing horse, owner must be allowed to watch a lesson to observe fitness level of horse and suitability to show, and a lease fee of $x per month will be charged from that month forward.

5 Likes

Yes, absolutely! I will make sure to have a very detailed contract. I’m liking the idea of starting with a 6 month care lease, and then either renewing or leasing to someone new as a paid lease after that.

To clarify, she has been sound for over a year now. Once her angles were corrected, she has had no further issues. She’s just unfit at the moment.

Ha! Yes, I’m already thinking pony for the kid! But, a mini wouldn’t be a bad idea either…:slight_smile:

A year not in work.

I am glad she is sound now. Hopefully she stays that way.

I am just saying that if I was looking for a lease, that soundness issue would enter my thoughts.

2 Likes

It sounds like a great opportunity for a young rider who, working with your trainer, learns the logical process of conditioning care and bringing up a horse. It is also nice that you are likely able to come watch on occasion and cheer from the sidelines. It is an opportunity that could likely leave a lifetime impression

5 Likes

Who is paying for the training and showing?

If the leaser is paying for those, it doesn’t seem fair for the owner to get more because of value the leaser created.(Like the home owner increasing the rent because the renter paid to have the house repainted.)

If the owner is paying all the training and showing fees, it doesn’t sound like a “lease” at all.

4 Likes

It’s not like this horse is green, just unfit. I get what you’re saying, but as soon as her fitness is there this horse can go back to showing in the 2’9” and would likely be able to move up to the childrens shortly after.

I could always have my trainer ride her for a month to get her fitness back before leasing her out too…

Horse lives out 24/7 and was getting fitness back up until a month ago. And like I said, she was showing last summer. It’s not like she’s been sitting for an entire year!

It sounds like you should talk with your trainer about this and see what they think is best. Our answers are not working for you.

2 Likes

I’ve actually gotten plenty of great ideas. I can do a 6 month care lease, then lease out for a price. I could put her back in training for a month then lease her out. I don’t know why you would say that. You act like I’m trying to lease out an unsound, green, feral beast. This is a nice horse with a record to prove it, she’s just been out of work.

1 Like

Okay, but now I need to dust off my soapbox on Mini Rights.
I know people have kids riding them.
I don’t like to see anything beyond a toddler on leadline in a saddle, on a mini.
Even if said mini is the stock type, rather than the refined.
Even if mini is at the top of the Mini Measure scale: 39" at the withers.

OTOH, teach mini to drive & the Fun begins :wink:
Kids as young as 6 or 7 can drive with an adult in the vehicle! But bigger kids do not belong on minis as riders.
Minis weigh ~200-300#
Accepted Equine Rider/Horse math says they shouldn’t carry more than 50-60#.
Driving horses can handle much more weight.

For those who say “Oh, yeah?” My flamesuit is all buttoned up.

4 Likes

In my experience there are several things that affect feed vs paid lease, including:

*value of horse/ability to jump a certain height
*if the lessee plans to show, as showing can trigger a lease fee even on a horse that wouldn’t otherwise merit one
*does horse or lessee benefit more; IOW, who is learning from whom

I have also seen sliding scales for lease fees based on the level (height) at which the lessee wants to ride.

So, I personally would not do a care lease unless I knew the rider pretty well. People tend to value things more when they pay for them. Additionally, would the person doing the care lease be a different person doing the paid lease? Do you have a rider (or in this case, riders) who might be good candidates? If you are thinking of leasing to the same person the whole time, i think it’s best to establish a price up front. It can be a cheaper lease if you think that is best, but if you and your trainer feel the horse has value, I’d put a fee on the lease.

3 Likes

Have your trainer leg her up for a month then lease her for a full year. You won’t want to be dealing with lease details 7-8 months pregnant over the holidays when a 6 month lease would expire. And depending on your location moving to a paid lease in Nov/Dec might not be that attractive. Congrats on your pregnancy.

5 Likes

I would get your trainer to leg her up and ride her a bit more than she has been ridden (or, if that’s not financially within the cards, a rider you trust). The reason there’s so much back-and-forth here is that no one is really sure what you “have,” since she was unsound and not ridden much for a fair bit. I know you think she’ll be ready to work after a few rides, and that may be 100% the case, but you could get more (financially speaking) and perhaps have better lease options rider-wise, if you could prove that with a horse that’s ready for the job on day one.

3 Likes