Unlimited access >

Leasing out my horse- what if they want to buy?

I leased out one of my older horses who has physical limitations. The little girl who is leasing her is absolutely thrilled and already head over heels in love. I have a feeling, that at some point the parents are probably going to want to make an offer on purchasing.

I was not intending on rehoming my horse. I’ve had her for 18 years and I am not sure how I feel about selling. On one hand I don’t really need a light riding horse… I don’t need the extra financial commitment and I also recognize that I’m going to be working more hours in the future. Rehoming makes sense from that perspective. That’s the rational part of me… Emotionally, she’s my horse and I want to keep her. Leasing her out is fine, but actually rehoming, would mean, well anything could happen.

How would I even put a price tag on her? She’s safe and sane… But she’s limited to light riding. Or should I just say I’m okay with them leasing her for so many months out of the year and sort of share? They do not have a barn/shelter at this time but I don’t see any reason they can’t construct a run in.

The little girl doesn’t seem ambitious about riding. She just wants a safe horse to play with and ride around the property on. Although I do wonder if one day she will want something less limited? The parents said when I asked their intentions that they weren’t looking to buy a horse at this time… but I know how much parents don’t want to have their little girl broken hearted over a horse.

2 Likes

If you don’t want to sell her and want to be the one to eventually retire her, you might consider a care lease. They assume all the normal horse expenses, but your mare could always come home to you if they eventually no longer want her.

An old trainer of mine did that with her elderly mare. Trainer feared selling the mare because she realistically wasn’t worth much and would probably need to retire in a few years. The lease family had a small, beginner daughter who adored that mare. The family kept her for a few years before she returned to Trainer.

35 Likes

I agree with the above poster.

She is your horse.

They can free lease as long as it works for both of you.

12 Likes

Thirding. Free/care lease, then if they decide to stop leasing when she becomes unrideable, you have control over her retirement.

7 Likes

If you let them lease until they decide they need a more advanced horse or the girl gets other interests and moves on , how can she be heartbroken in the end?

Just agree on a long term lease until they decide it isn’t working anymore.

4 Likes

I was going to say the same thing a care/free lease is the best of both worlds. The mare gets light work, the little girl gets to see if this is something she enjoys and gains experience, the mare has a kid to look after, you have stress taken off your shoulders and everyone wins. And you help someone make amazing memories as a child.

4 Likes

You mention in the original post that the leasers don’t have a barn or shelter. How do you feel about their general knowledge level and facilities? In a similar situation I had nightmares about my lonely mare breaking out of their poor fencing. The leasers didn’t follow through with promised renovations and company for mare so I brought her home after a month. Don’t sell or permanently rehome an older horse with soundness issues, it could be disastrous. Free lease with frequent check-ins only.

6 Likes

I may be missing something, but I don’t see any evidence at all that they want to buy? (I’m part-leasing a horse and I adore him and he is a prince, but I have no intention of ever buying him.) And the parents have specifically said that they do not have plans/facilities to buy a horse at this time (and perhaps not a geriatric one with limited rideability, however much loved).

Until the kid or parents begin making “buying” noises, I might encourage the horse’s owner to simply enjoy that their horse is in a good lease, and not worry about something that the parents have said will not happen.

5 Likes

If you don’t want to sell the horse, don’t sell the horse. It’s not that hard.

I leased a gelding for 3 years. I had no intention of buying him. I’m not sure I would have taken him if he were offered for free.

6 Likes

I would continue with the care lease. I think you might be surprised–I have my doubts that this family wants to buy the horse. Most people are pretty savvy that leasing a horse has a lot of benefits over ownership in terms of costs and long term responsibility. Most parents aren’t so naive as to take for granted that their child will stay a horse crazy little kid forever, they recognize the possibility that interests can change and also that kids grow up and go to college, get jobs, etc. This family doesn’t currently have a shelter for the horse, and any responsible person wanting to buy a horse would attend to those details first.

I think it’s wise to think about long term planning, and I think that continuing the care lease is a great option for you. The horse is being cared for and used / loved by a child, which is great. But the lease offers you a LOT of protection in terms of looking out for the horse’s welfare.

Let’s say the horse gets a little more stiff and sore and can’t really be ridden any more, or the little girl loses interest for some other reason (it happens). The parents become busy with job demands or taking the little girl or her siblings to her other activities. No neglect exactly, but the horse languishes a bit–being an old horse, her teeth need work, she gets a little wormy, needs a little more care or some special feed. This is very predictable old horse stuff that a lot of new owners are not prepared for.

If you own her, you can simply graciously end the lease and take her back, no big deal. If you don’t own the horse, you have very little recourse. Maybe they would give her back to you, but people can also get weird or defensive. They might carelessly give her away to someone else, sell her quietly at an auction, or simply continue letting her languish.

What I hear is that you are looking at your own life and your own ability to retire this mare. And that’s really a very normal and rational thing to worry about. Most of us have financial and time constraints that we have to take into account with regards to retiring horses. I’m sure in a way it seems reasonable to turn ownership over to this family. I would describe that particular thought as wishful thinking, not rational.

No one else will ever care for this mare as much as you do, and that you put her at risk by giving up ownership. Even if the best you could do would be to take her back and simply peacefully euthanize her, that would be better than her being neglected in someone’s backyard or accidentally ending up at auction.

9 Likes

Please don’t take this the wrong way but it sounds like your horse might not be good long term fit if all she can do is light work. It’s been my experience with situations like this kids either move on to a different horse or find something else to do, I would explain to the parents they can lease her for as long as they like but when their daughter is ready for something else the horse will come back to you . Selling is always risky in a situation like this, when with rights of first refusal there is no guarantee that the horse will come back to you .

5 Likes

I agree that continuing the care lease is the best option for you, the horse, and the little girl. I would add, that if I were you, I would put some of the money I am saving beccause the horse is in someone else’s care aside. This way, if the horse comes back to you in the future, you have a buffer and it does not impact your cash flow as much as it might. If you never get the horse back, you have a nice pot of money for travel, clinics, or a new horse.

4 Likes

Hi there!
Agree with the posters above - the horse is yours and it’s only up to you to sell it or not. Parents should also understand this: if you had wanted to sell it, you wouldn’t have leased it to them, you would have sold it.
I’m also exploring the possibility of leasing out my horse and was wondering where did you get your horse lease agreement. Did you end up drafting the agreement yourself or did you seek legal assistance? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
I’ve found this free template https://lawrina.org/templates/lease-agreement/horse-lease/, seems pretty legit to me, but I’ve never dealt with one before, so I would appreciate your advice much!

I agree with this. Maybe free/care lease with annual (or more) renewal upon “inspection”. I had a bad experience, too. It ended up okay in the end, but the horse was in bad shape when she left that situation. I made the mistake of listening to someone’s story and even had a reference on her, yet in the end she didn’t take care of her – horse was skinny as heck. So, I would insist on checking in periodically.

1 Like

OP, if you’re worried about your mare’s future and want any say, control or influence or ability to protect her should should something go south, then I’d recommend a full care or free lease as others have already said. Any things can happen- little girl loses interest, horse gets injured/ is no longer rideable, or something unexpected and family falls upon hard times etc- then what happens to the horse? If you own the horse then she comes back to you and you can take care of her. A kind euthanasia if that would be your only option etc is better than being dumped in an auction and ending up who knows where and how bad or left to linger neglected in a field, not getting the care she needs. Selling her might make it easier on your finances but then you have no say or recourse in the mare’s future and welfare. I like the idea someone else mentioned- setting aside some money now if you can while mare is out on free lease so that when the time comes you have some funds for her if needed.

1 Like