Unlimited access >

Leather halters

Thanks! We clearly ride in different circles so that’s out of my price range. I like my bridles, and they’re way less than that. Different circles. Either way, I’m looking at halters to fit a 14.1 - 14.2 hand horse

@enjoytheride I have 2 Walsh halters nearing 30yo. Granted, both were used just for shipping (w/fleeces) & show, but they are still buttersoft & in great shape. Bonus for solid brass fittings.
I also have a Walsh grooming halter that is just as old & has seen continous use & that cleans up like new.

I want to know where you find nice bridles under $250.
I do have one from Dressage Extensions that is over 20yo & IIRC, cost $125.
But that was mostly used for shows for the first 10yrs. Now it is my daily, still in good shape, but I don’t ride every day :roll_eyes:

& now, off to check out LeopoldCole :grin:

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting so much judgement on my budget or what I consider nice! Or to be pressured to purchase something from a particular seller when they are out of my budget.

Again, I’m shopping for budget halters. Not bridles, no matter how nice they look they are out of my price range and again, shopping for halters!

5 Likes

I agree @enjoytheride. I know that lots of people on this forum (and in the world) have a very different idea of what affordable is than what I can afford to spend on things. Usually around here people accept that fact and just propose things that work for the one asking.

4 Likes

I would definitely not chalk anything over $100 as “budget friendly”. I wouldn’t even put a $250 bridle with reins in that category either.

OP, if you don’t hate the look of Suffolk/Crown halters, wait until around October. Dover sells them dirt cheap and they always have cob and pony sizes. Some of them are padded, some have specialty colors like white or purple padding. I picked up a few a couple years ago that were black and maroon. They looked nice as show halters, I don’t hate them… but they didn’t have english chins so they became spares.

This is a bit over $60 with shipping, but I do love Delfina’s leather. This one doesn’t have buckles on both sides, though. $49.00

No experience with Derby, but for $47, that looks like a nice halter:

This one looks promising!

Schneider makes a series of halters all under $50.

To me you can’t get more budget friendly that and several come in a 3/4” which is nice for a smaller face. I’ve been pleased with the quality of the ones I’ve ordered to date.

1 Like

Tack Shack in Ocala makes beautiful, reasonably priced leather halters. They’ve been my go-to forever.

1 Like

$45 for a full size if you order from FB, plus $9 shipping. Go to the FB page.

@McGurk, does one just have to contact them via facebook to get that price? I did not see that price on Facebook either, that is why I ask. (Willing to admit that I might have missed it.)

Yes, you have to contact them via FB Marketplace and Messenger. They then send a PayPal invoice to you.

Shipping was also quite prompt.

Yes. I’ve had good luck with Schneider’s (sstack.com). I’m using this one right now:

https://www.sstack.com/premier-saratoga-padded-leather-halter/p/16533/

It’s on sale at the moment for $49.99. I don’t hang it outside in the weather so can’t speak to how well it will hold up under those conditions, but I think it’s pretty good quality for the price.

I messaged him and went ahead and ordered one in cob for $45, I hope it’s as nice as you say!

Let me know, I hope so too!

Not sure about the budget-ness, but I have to give a shout out to Walsh. I’ve got a Walsh halter that I inherited from a fellow boarder a long, long time ago - like maybe 15+ years. My horse stepped on the lead last week and broke the crown and chin strap. I posted on this forum because I could not find a replacement chin strap, and got a tip to just call Walsh.
Wow, that worked - got a real person who knew everything about halters. Sent her a photo and had a response LIKE THAT. Spare parts on the way!
These may not be cheap - but the quality and durability is not to be discounted. I’ve seen some leather halters that don’t seem like they could be counted on to hold onto a horse in a testy moment, and those aren’t really an option you want. My vote for the day!

2 Likes

For budget turnout halters, I either suck it up for Quillins or use my 19.99 Dover leather halter that won’t die. I also love a Freedmans halter but they pricier.

I did find a really nice used Walsh in fab condition on a Facebook group for less then my Quillins turnout halters. eBay is a great place for a high end used halter.

2 Likes

Check out the Tack Shack halters, their sales halters are $60 and come in cob and yearling/large pony sizes. They do stretch, so you might want to size down if possible. I originally got my mare a cob and it ended up being too big after a couple of years of use. The large pony was a bit tight when I first got it but now it fits perfectly.

They also have turnout halters for cheaper. I think the only difference is that they don’t have a rolled throat but I’m not totally sure.

Since my horse lives outdoors, her halter sits by the gate 24/7 and has faced years of being rained/snowed on. Sometimes in the winter it even has a layer of ice that needs to be shaken off. Obviously it doesn’t look brand new anymore but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it as a show halter after a thorough cleaning :slight_smile:

Pic of the large pony vs cob sizes on my girl

3 Likes

Pretty lady!! :heart_eyes: The halter’s nice, too.

1 Like

I used to like the smartpak ones as well when they were made in the US. I found a Perri’s on sale at a discount website so got a few of those and pretty happy with the Exion Pro brand on Amazon $40 and very fancy show halters for my schoolies and sale horses.

This is very helpful! I’m a little crazy about where the halter should be buckled. To me it doesn’t fit if it’s on the very shortest hole.

I’ve been using these for some years now. Not the nicest halter, but great for the price. $30, and includes an engraved nameplate. Triple stitched leather and a good number of sizes and colors.

1 Like