Unlimited access >

Leaving a Barn .. When did you know?

i would think that a boarder gets a reputation …albeit more slowly and less broadly, as much as barn owners/managers do. As trainers do. We swim in a small pond.

I’ve had my own place and kept my horses home for decades. Only boarded twice. One time was at a breeding ranch pretty far away. I’d commute every other weekend…They let me stay in the watch-room with a bedside window at the birth stall. Eventually, after about a year or so, they moved me up into the house during my visits. I’m rather reclusive, so i actually preferred the barn, but i felt i had to be friendly as they were already making an exception letting me board two of my show morgans there.

Concurrently i boarded at Golden Gate Park stables. A consession-run public barn…built by the WPA and old and well worn. I rehabbed my stall, (new floor, new divider wall, installed a grill on the top of dutch door…and repainted it annually. The crew (following directions from manager of course) left too much dirty bedding, so every other day i would remove everything, put down sawdust and a nice deep layer of straw. (and i bought straw and shavings to do this with…transporting in the trunk of my bmw lol). Being able to board in the middle of San Francisco was a privilege and i never forgot that. I only complained if the hay was not good. It was almost always good hay, but occasionally, mold-smelling. They were understand and accommodating about that. Otherwise, i made it a point to be courteous to other boarders and to ‘be nice’ to the throngs of visitors.

I think that a person’s willingness to get along with others is a huge part of the boarding experience. She who’s most flexible, wins.

I’m kinda a nut about organic-ness. If someone were to spray wasp spray around my horse and i felt the overspray would impact his/her breathing/respiratory system, i would not be happy. Spray is one thing that affects many people and animals depending on wind etc it could easily go 50 feet. Not every horse is desensitized to aerosol either. I have a couple of horses that would go-ballistic at the un expected sound. And…When i’m out training dogs and someone (either a handler or a hired helper) sprays bug-spray on their pant legs near my scenting dogs i let them have it! In that scenario, bug spray is totally uncool.

2 Likes

This is over the course of the last 15-ish years, I’m not a professional barn hopper lol.

Barn 1- We had been having minor issues, mainly personality clashes tbh, with the wife half of the BM team. This team was also doing lessons. Those issues culminated fairly explosively when my sister tried to buy the horse she had been working with for months (who the BM team could NOT handle well) as promised by the BM team from them but was told no because the wife wanted to start showing the gelding now that he was rideable and that supposedly Sister wasn’t taking proper care of Horse. She was, my mother and I both had another three horses there that we were taking care of daily. Keep in mind, my sister was working at the barn in order to pay off this horse but the BM team refused to sell him to her in the end AND refused to pay her for the hours worked. BM team also refused to sell the horse to me despite knowing how well I took care of my horses. We found another place ASAP and left this barn within a weekend. That was a huge breach of our trust.

Barn 2-This was actually just a private pasture with a small barn that we were renting. We were there a good long while and things were great until the property owner decided to sell the place without notice to us and let the buyers (pre-sale) dig leg-breaker holes in the main pasture. We had NO notice of this so could not put the horses up or anything. We caught the holes before one of our horses got hurt thankfully but moved because the owner saw nothing wrong with it. he said it wasn’t a big deal so we left.

Barn 3- this was just a huge pasture. No barn, no run-in, no power obviously, no water, etc. This was right after barn 2 btw so was always meant to be temporary. We hauled water in the giant tanks for about a year and a half or so. We left because the actual owners of Barn 1 let us know that the BM team had picked up and moved states so that barn was empty if we wanted it. We moved to have access to the amenities and be closer to home.

Barn 4 but actually 1 under different management. Only reason we left this time was because we had a property we could actually keep the horses on and since we weren’t showing, decided to move them home. We’re still good friends with the BM though she has since moved properties.

Barn 5- family property. family situation got a little out of control and power plays such as putting up a gate and ordering the person taking care of the horses to not give us(the freaking horses owners) the gate code with no notice forced that move. BO had no intention of telling me the gate code and had I not given caretaker I was heading up to ride and feed, I would have been blindsided when I got there. That happened on a Thursday, I had the horses moved on Saturday.

Over 13 years

Barn 1 - I needed to sell a horse and didn’t feel confident that the head trainer could help me in a timely manner. The timing also made it easy as I was leaving the city. Looking back they had great feed, adequate pasture, moderate quality footing but well-maintained, and a nice bridle path. Stalls were deeply bedded. The trainer was, at best, a first level rider, but did have good pony club-style horsemanship skills and a quick eye for a horse being off. Time between recognizing and leaving: 3 months.

Barn 2 - I worked out an informal arrangement to offset board through chores and learned a lesson the hard way. Along the way I did meticulous note-taking as requested. For 4 months I did not receive an invoice or indication that I owed anything. I naively assumed things were good. Month 5 she casually mentioned that I was really behind on board and handed me a four-figure invoice. It was a handshake deal so I paid what she said I owed and moved on. I only did pasture board here but they were stunning fields and the property had miles of trails. The rings were pretty junky and poorly maintained. The management and workers were very educated with a great eye for the small things, which made the ring issue pretty odd. Time between recognizing and leaving: 30 day notice.

Barn 3 - One of the shift workers engaged in a truly idiotic and reckless action resulting in my horse being injured. Out of laziness, she lead in two horses at once. The problem - these two horses had zero history of interacting with each other and both were in individual turnout for specific reasons. Of the two, one had a history of rearing and striking (not mine). The other was a big ole girl who didn’t like horses in her space (mine). My horse ended up pulling away trying to avoid the spinning striking monster on the other side of the person too lazy to make two trips. My mare went down and damaged her SI. I ended up with a huge vet bill, lost riding time, and the BO refused to acknowledge the gravity of what happened. Furthermore, they implied I was lucky that the worker wasn’t coming after me for medical compensation (as she got knocked down when everything happened). The property was small but had nice paddocks, rings, hay, and feed. The quality of workers was hit or miss but it was an environment where it wasn’t odd for someone to muck their own stall. This allowed me to do the bucket scrubbing or pay for extra bedding to raise things to my standards. Time between recognizing and leaving: 3 months.

Barn 4 - Moved out of state. However, I would have moved on regardless. The BO tended to cut corners with the caliber of workers hired. They often had minimal knowledge. Despite being lovely people, I did not trust that they would recognize things like a puffy leg or off demeanor. Pastures were questionable in terms of quality and lacked shelters. However, there was high quality feed and hay. The rings were very oversized and typically maintained with a short trail on property. Time between recognizing and leaving: N/A

Barn 5 - Holy heck toxic. A quid pro quo training ride/eyes on the ground relationship went ultra sour after I purchased a horse and she invited me in as a boarder. While on her horses, I was eager and willing to accept training insight, even if it differed from my own philosophy. Your horse, your methods. She wanted to serve as my in house trainer and when I tried to politely draw boundaries, things imploded (like full-volume screaming and storming around). I had a pit in my stomach every single day on my way out. My mare became increasingly hard to catch and more headshy. I do not think any active abuse occurred but her anger towards me bubbled over into impatience and callousness toward my mare. The day my trailer pulled out of that property I literally cried I felt so relieved. The pastures were low quality and the fencing was questionable. She fed whatever I requested but cut corners on the hay. The ring was very nice and beautifully maintained. Time between recognizing and leaving: 6 months…the joys of living in an area with few boarding options

Barn 6 - Current barn. I think it combines many of the elements I’ve valued across other barns. Given the proximity it lets me be involved. I trust the BO to recognize anything that I would notice and trust that she would know exactly what to do. It’s tied for the most expensive place where I’ve boarded but the mare is happy and that’s what is most important.

1 Like

When the facilities were not meeting my needs and I found a better place, I gave full notice and left on good terms.

When the owner ( C ) flat out lied to me about the care my horse had received, and I felt my horse’s safety was at risk. She had been a long time friend at whose barn I had been before, but in the interim she had gone through a divorce and moved in with another person and had changed a lot. While the facilities weren’t ideal for my horse, I knew I was moving in a few months and thought I would stick it out. I already had another friend (K) who had asked me to come to her barn, and I had turned her down out of loyalty to the C and the desire not to move the horse unnecessarily. When the lie happened and confirmed my fears, I called K and asked if I could come. I left early the next morning, left a note about why and a check for $50 out of respect for the long friendship with C and in order not to leave her completely high and dry, but I did not give my notice. She sent me a bill and a copy of the contract with the 30 days’ notice highlighted. I ignored it. It’s the only time I ever broke any contract, but since she did not provide the promised services to the detriment and endangerment of my horse, I figured she broke the contract first.

I do not recommend burning a bridge like this, and had never considered doing so before or since. But if you endanger the health of my horse, then lie to me about it, that is an absolute dealbreaker.

1 Like

I’ve left a variety of barns over time. Most were because of some horse care issues or lack of fit for a specific horse’s needs. Some were because of changes of state. Twice it was because of conflicts between BO & Trainer that dragged everyone into drama and resulted in a horrible barn experience.

When you know, you know. When every trip to the barn becomes frustrating, it’s time to leave. When you don’t go on vacation because you are concerned your horse won’t be treated well, you leave. When your horse’s behavior degenerates because they aren’t getting the agreed upon treatment & care you leave.

The key is to always leave on good terms. Every barn has positives and negatives. There are only two in all of those experiences that I would not recommend for the right horse & rider pairing. For instance, the barn that didn’t turn out as much as advertised would work fine for a sedate old hunter, and not so fine for a high energy youngster. The barn that didn’t actually feed grain & hay to the horses as agreed will never get a recommendation from me. And even then I left on good terms, gave my notice, fed my horse extra and left quietly.

The equine industry is small. Boarding is hard on both the boarder and the barn owner. Find the right situation for you and your horse and stay above the fray.

6 Likes

Yard 1: all other horses were allowed 24/7 summer turn out, except for mine, because he had walked the fence ONCE months before when his field mates were taken in before I’d finished work. I then moved counties to return home and took horse with me, so it wasn’t so much a nail in the coffin but it made the decision to move that bit easier.

Yard 2: they lied about when they were bringing him in. 23yo horse with arthritis who needed as much turn out as he could get. They were paid to bring him in at 4 but often wanted to go out for the afternoon so would bring him in before 12 (leaving their own horses out until they returned home) leaving him stressing and alone in the stable block (it was only him and their horses there) and would lie about it. I caught them in the act several times. Moved to a yard with 24/7 turn out.

Yard 3: horse was not getting REM sleep as he was deeply unhappy there. Bottom of the pecking order in the herd, not getting access to hay, not comfortable enough to sleep, tripping over and getting cast when he was so exhausted he couldn’t get up. The grooms were also bitchy and manipulative, spreading lies about liveries to the YO who was on maternity leave and shit stirring between liveries.

I just found your post in this thread today and it describes my situation so accurately (thinking about leaving every week/trying to stick it out) until I finally realized I was feeling bad more often than I was feeling good about going to this barn. But a place that is a good fit for the rider AND has good care for the horse is a rare find indeed!

4 Likes

A good boarding barn is a true gem, I have yet to find the perfect one. I think that is why so many of us dream of being able to keep a horse at home.

2 Likes

I hear you! Yet my good friend who has her own barn still has to send her young horse out to be trained - and gets to experience all the angst of being a boarder again too! I’m convinced that most barns are run like fiefdoms and not businesses and therein (a big part of) the problem!

2 Likes

Buwahahahaha yes though

2 Likes

You are right about first interactions! On my very first lesson at the barn (that I will be leaving soon) the trainer left the ring for more than half an hour to “go move a horse.” When she finally returned she didn’t apologize, didn’t even mention the fact that I’d been circling the ring at a walk wondering ??? And yes, I stayed (silly me) but the beginning sure did resemble the end.

2 Likes

Agreed, I think the horse’s well-being and care always gets prioritized (for obvious reasons) but it’s important to acknowledge that you, as the person that goes to this barn a LOT to exercise and care for your horse, have to enjoy (or at least not dread!) spending time there too.

3 Likes

Are you and your horses happier at the new barn? I only boarded at 1 barn 13 years and have kept my horses at home ever since ( 30 yrs now). I left only because I got married and moved 2000 miles East.

I would have went out and bought my own spray and applied it to the nest and any others I knew about.

We are, thank you for asking. Everyone is friendly, approachable, and sane! Going to the barn is no longer something I dread.

The wasp thing was just an unfortunate series of events that particular day (being caught off guard by the nest and then being chased around the property just as I was about to load my mare to take her to a nursing home for a visit). Under normal circumstances, I’d have had no problem running out and buying my own spray! At least I’ll never be caught off-guard by a wasp’s nest in a horse trailer again … lol.

The way the staff responded (or rather, didn’t) really represented the vibe of that barn, which bothered me the most. I’m finding the places that boast about their great atmosphere and “amazing barn family” (read: if you lesson with fellow boarder who also doubles as an unofficial in-house coach then we won’t treat you as though you’re invisible!) are usually the most dysfunctional of them all. Your market may vary, however!

Boarding out can be tough, you’re always at the mercy of the barn owner or manager as well as the vibe of the place. I do envy those that get to keep their horses at home!

7 Likes

I was extremely fortunate in the fact that my only boarding experience was exceptional and the amenities that can go along with it is something I miss ( on occasion). Couldn’t imagine not having them at home now.

I have been attacked and chased by wasps here at home-- so I know the feeling :astonished:

1 Like

I think the last straw at my former barn was when the barn owner told me to put my new mare down over by the tied-out goat and old car. Not a lick of compassion to be found. I was already looking around just because of a lot of stuff adding up and my starting to hate the place. Forgetting to water horses in 90* weather, not feeding the one what I’d asked (my hay) after he’d lost 200# due to an infection, not watering the arena.

I moved my boys to a full self-care facility and absolutely love it. The closest I’ll come to having them at home until I actually have property of my own.

2 Likes

When the married co-owners began proceedings to divorce, tangled over barn management, somehow forgot to pay the electric bill, and the horses had no water because the well pump could not work.

4 Likes

Reading all these posts reminded me of why I got my own barn 40 years ago. Ran a small boarding/lesson barn. I always explained up front exactly what I provided and what I couldn’t. I was always polite but to the point.

I could start another thread of unreasonable, crazy, dangerous etc. boarders.

Now happily retired, three horses of my own and one perfect boarder.

12 Likes

I think you should start it. I’ll go start making popcorn.

10 Likes

I used to haul my young horse to an arena and the barn owner there told me I should put my horse in a can. I don’t think I ever went back.

She did have a reputation of being a beeyoch but that was totally uncalled for.

2 Likes