Unlimited access >

Lendon Gray Chat Transcript

See next post.

[This message was edited by Erin on Feb. 09, 2004 at 10:23 PM.]

See next post.

[This message was edited by Erin on Feb. 09, 2004 at 10:23 PM.]

Ok, I am just having to cut and paste the chat, since my parents computer is acting up, but here is the chat. We had a lot of fun :slight_smile: For those of you who didn’t get to chat, we will try to do this again real soon, and if you didn;t get an invite, sorry but again, this computer is not happy tonight, grrrrrr.

You have just entered room “Lendon Chat.”
Parade1974 has entered the room.
Freebird TMH: sorry - my parents computer is totally wigging out
GRAYDRESGE: Well, you’re here!
Parade1974: I made it. Hi!
CHdomino has entered the room.
FoxGold has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: Hey, everyone. Please keep in mind that I cannot answer “Dear Abby” questions – my horse has this problem, what should I do? I would need to see you and your horse
HalfpassHorse has entered the room.
HalfpassHorse: Hey everyone
GRAYDRESGE: Also I apologize. I am not a speedy typist
GRAYDRESGE: cannot read the yellow writing – sorry
HalfpassHorse: This better?
GRAYDRESGE: much
GRAYDRESGE: someone want to start??
GRAYDRESGE: some brave soul?
HalfpassHorse: What is this?
Freebird TMH: this is teh Lendon Gray chat
NYBredMare has entered the room.
HalfpassHorse: What’s the topic? Dressage? :wink:
GRAYDRESGE: well, we coul dtalk about Greek and Latin, my college major!
HalfpassHorse: lol
HalfpassHorse: no thanx :wink:
Freebird TMH: ok Parade - how bout you start
NYBredMare: not my field, I’ll lurk:-D I know more on racing that piaffe-ing
Freebird TMH: I’ll pick on you since I know you
Parade1974: Thanks!
Parade1974: :slight_smile:
GRAYDRESGE: nybred are you from NY
Parade1974: OK, basic simple stuff. Since I don’t know much about dressage.
NYBredMare: What are the best ways to use dressage in preparing OTTB’s for the hunter ring?
NYBredMare: yes, Albany area
GRAYDRESGE: How many hours do we have?
HalfpassHorse: lol
GRAYDRESGE: If you think of Dressage as just training
NYBredMare: my question covers my two fields
GRAYDRESGE: or as I think if it developing th ecommunication and cooperation so that you can do anything with your horse
Parade1974: That is what I want to learn myself.
GRAYDRESGE: you first have to develop a common language with the OTTB
NYBredMare: I was giving basic “dressage” as a beginner, prior to learing to jump
GRAYDRESGE: sometimes this means starting on th eground with voice commands, then the lunge, then the same voice under saddle
GRAYDRESGE: then just have patience and comon sense
rockyandmolly has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: a beginner shoul do EVERYTHING possible to ride a horse that knows more than she does
GRAYDRESGE: I believe that one of the partnership must be the teacher
HalfpassHorse: I totally agree, riding schoolmasters was the best thing for my riding.
GRAYDRESGE: first it’s the horse then the rider becomes the trainer later
NYBredMare: I was lucky to learn on very experienced horses but that was 30 years ago when “dressage” was pretty out of vogue in the hunter world
GRAYDRESGE: otherwise it’s what I call the blind leading the crippled
CHdomino: what are some good basic exercises that would benefit horses in any discipline? i mainly do hunters, but my flat work always needs a ton of work.
GRAYDRESGE: I wish Dressage would become more in vogue in the hunter world
Freebird TMH: oh me too
GRAYDRESGE: I think the most unused exercises are TRANSITIONS
Freebird TMH: I had to sneak off for my dressage lessons, when I boarded at a hunter barn
NYBredMare: tell judges to pin more “engaged” horses…:wink:
GRAYDRESGE: NO ONE does enough transitions
Parade1974: I am between disciplines, so I am looking in to them all myself.
GRAYDRESGE: I have one of the top working hunters in the US in my stable
Freebird TMH: (oh, and this chat was supposed to be more orgonized, but my sone isnt asleep, so I am running back and forth, so sorry all)
HalfpassHorse: Lol, it’s ok Freebird :slight_smile:
NYBredMare: I ride at a jumper barn now and they use more dressage
GRAYDRESGE: after a summer of his owner who is a basic rider doing the most basic DR which involved nay transitions
HalfpassHorse: should we all introduce ourselves?
GRAYDRESGE: he started winning th ehack classes for the first time
GRAYDRESGE: after a year they moved him to Conformation because he was so well muscled
NYBredMare: Saratoga has quite a bit of dressage but I don’t know any one in the field, I’d like to try a few lssons on a schoolmaster
GRAYDRESGE: I would love for you to introduce yourselves – you know who I am!
FoxGold: Do you think there is (or is going to be) a viable market for ‘sport ponies’ in the U.S.? And is a ‘sport pony’ only marketable if it’s something like a mini Warmblood (German Riding Ponies & the like)?
HalfpassHorse: I would love that FoxGold!
GRAYDRESGE: WOW my favorite subject
GRAYDRESGE: Ponies will grow – every other country has them
GRAYDRESGE: I was just in New Zealand where they had the MOST gorgeous ponies
HalfpassHorse: Alright, my name is Alyssa and I’m a 17 year old from Canada. I ride a 15hh Arab/QH named Maverick, who I’m currently schooling at 4th level.
FoxGold: A few of us have been having a fascinating discussion on crossing Spanish Mustangs (pretty baroque in type) with other pony breeds - one poster in particular wants to market them to the dressage world.
GRAYDRESGE: The only reason we need the European ponies now is you can get them all trained
FoxGold: It just seems that the US is just getting clued into the fact that adults can ride ponies and ‘honies’
GRAYDRESGE: there are wonderful American ponies we just have to train them to be suitable for kids to learn DR on
GRAYDRESGE: I have a gorgeous medium pony right now who was a super humter pony
CHdomino: I am Katherine. I am a freshman at St Andrews Presby College. I ride on the team here. I do the hunters, jumpers, and eq, and I am always looking for ways to improve my riding.
NYBredMare: my trainers son is/was a top pony jumper rider
GRAYDRESGE: he is thriving with the dressage work
FoxGold: I’m Maggie. I used to be a Latin major at Sweet Briar College in VA - I transferred to Mary Washington (also in VA) - not currently riding - but I have done hunters, eventing, and would love to get back into racehorses.
FoxGold: Yes, I’ve seen a few wonderful dressage ponies
HalfpassHorse: I almost wish Maverick was just a couple inches shorter! He’d be the cutest pony :wink:
GRAYDRESGE: I wish more adults, my clients included would acknowledge that it is more fun on something their size
rockyandmolly: I am Ellen and I ride a 15.2 h Dutch mare. I am a big fan and just finished reading your book, Lessons with Lendon. Can you write a sequel to it???:smiley:
GRAYDRESGE: Maggie, I graduated from Sweet Briar!
CHdomino: oh how I wish I still fit on ponies:-)
Parade1974: I’m Ashlee. I have a 17h TB mare. Tradionally I pleasure ride, love eventing but has a horse with issues. :slight_smile:
FoxGold: Yes, I thought you were an alumna!
NYBredMare: I’m Jeanne aka Linny on COTH. Horseless but back to riding after a 7 year break. I ride with Betsy Worthington in Averill Park NY
Parade1974: My mare is my size. I think I make her look normal instead of 17h.
GRAYDRESGE: Anyone want to try another ?
Freebird TMH: I have one
GRAYDRESGE: ok
Freebird TMH: we have been talking about “Honies” on COTH
GRAYDRESGE: is that a small horse?
Freebird TMH: and some suggested that we should have a division fro teh 14.2 - 15.2 horses
GRAYDRESGE: they do that in Europe
Freebird TMH: like they do in some shows in Europe
GRAYDRESGE: do we have enough for that
mooncowblu has entered the room.
Freebird TMH: how do you feel about doing that here in teh us
Freebird TMH: and how coudl we go about doing that
GRAYDRESGE: Do not tell me that the little guys can’t compete with the big guys though
Freebird TMH: one COTH poster said how she worried that by breeding sport ponies - by mixing in WB’s - we might get a generation of Honies
HalfpassHorse: Free: are you talking about the hunters? or dressage?
rockyandmolly: anything below 15.21/2 is a reject in the warmblood registries
GRAYDRESGE: You would have to go through US Equestrian – they make all th erules
GRAYDRESGE: what’s wrong with homies?
Freebird TMH: oh I love the little guys
Freebird TMH: I have a 14.3 hand TB filly
GRAYDRESGE: they are the perfect size for kids graduating from ponies and most ladies
HalfpassHorse: I love my little horse, he’s got a great work ethic and will do anything for me.
Freebird TMH: and I love her
NYBredMare: small horses are a tough sell in the world of hunters
FoxGold: I think a lot of people feel like they’re worthless - in hunters, at least - and this goes back to getting adults to realize that those of us who are challenged in the height departments CAN ride ponies!
GRAYDRESGE: they are sounder, cheaper to feed, easier to handle as a rule
Freebird TMH: but I am trying to sell her as a dressage horse, and there just isnt the intrest
GRAYDRESGE: don’t the hunters have a small division?
rockyandmolly: I got my mare at a huge discount due to her small size
rockyandmolly: the breeder couldn’t sell her
Freebird TMH: I get so tired of seeing itty bitty riders on big horses
CHdomino: the hunters sort of have a small division
Freebird TMH: the go from the ponies to the 17 hand WB’s
FoxGold: not an inbetween division, not really
Freebird TMH: for the Jr’s
CHdomino: they have a small division at some VA shows
CHdomino: but not many
Freebird TMH: adults should have something as well
FoxGold: Right, but everyone wants a small junior that’s right on the line
rockyandmolly: I agree
FoxGold: ‘to make the step’
NYBredMare: I’m 5’8 with a looooong leg and currently ride a 15.2+ horse and fit him fine. I have a short body and he matches me with a short neck.
FoxGold: Yes, NYBred - a lot is how they take up your leg
GRAYDRESGE: Another ?
HalfpassHorse: I have a question. How can a 17 year old dressage rider without funds make it as a trainer? I know what I want to do, but I’m not sure which path I should take.
GRAYDRESGE: that can be tough.
GRAYDRESGE: I personally think the working student route is the only way
GRAYDRESGE: if you don’t have the $ to buy your own horses to ride
GRAYDRESGE: I encourage all young people to get the best education
Freebird TMH: I learned soo much as a working student in Ct
GRAYDRESGE: there are a lot of average trainers out there barely scraping by
HalfpassHorse: That’s what I figured. How should I find a place to do a working student at? I don’t have many “connections”
GRAYDRESGE: get a good job and keep horses as a hobby!
Freebird TMH: Lendo, how did you start out?
GRAYDRESGE: just write anyone you might be interested in working with
Freebird TMH: Lendon - sorry for the typo
HalfpassHorse: Do you take working students :wink:
GRAYDRESGE: the worst thing that happens is they say no
CHdomino: that is what i am currently doing, calling different barns looking for working student positions this summer
HalfpassHorse: That’s true. lol
GRAYDRESGE: I take them – but most of mine stay for several years so I don’t have vacancies so often
rockyandmolly: Do you have any plans for a sequel to your Lessons with Lendon, like Part 2?
GRAYDRESGE: I cannot take a WS with a horse unless they can pay board
GRAYDRESGE: If Lessons sells well, yes.
rockyandmolly: ok, I will make all my friends buy it :-D!
GRAYDRESGE: THANKS!
HalfpassHorse: do you think you’ll have a vacancy soon? :wink:
GRAYDRESGE: probably not til fall at the earliest
GRAYDRESGE: I have one girl from Argentina who may not be able to renew her visa again
NYBredMare: I asked “Mr NYBred” for copies of 101 Jumping Exercises and “Lessons” for Val-Day.
GRAYDRESGE: good luck!
NYBredMare: last year I got a garbage disposer for the sink so I consider this a step in the right direction…
HalfpassHorse: Lendon, hmm… I’d really love to work with you, especially with the types of horses you have worked with. Can I email you for more information?
GRAYDRESGE: of course – please do
rockyandmolly: HalfPassHorse, I know Verne Batchelder is looking for a WS, if you IM I can give you his info
Parade1974: OK, I have a question.
GRAYDRESGE: go for it
Parade1974: OK, I am looking for a dressage trainer because I think that is all that will help me with my horse.
Parade1974: I know her problems and mine.
evntualevnter has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: what kind of riding do you do?
Parade1974: But to make things simple, she is a klutz and on the forehand horribly, and drops her inside shoulder.
Parade1974: Used to do eventing, but my mare is not good for it, to unbalanced.
Parade1974: Hence our problem.
Parade1974: I would like to know some good excercises I can do until I find a trainer to help try and get her on her backend.
GRAYDRESGE: for a trainer make sure that self carriage is important
Parade1974: OFF her back ernd.
GRAYDRESGE: TRANSITIONS !!
GRAYDRESGE: make sure she is not finding balance on your hands –
Parade1974: oh good greif, I still can’t type. I meant off her front end.
GRAYDRESGE: get her to answer the voice – whoa-- if she is
Freebird TMH: its ok Parade - I stil loff you
Parade1974: :slight_smile: Thanks Free…
GRAYDRESGE: on a large circle do a transition at 3, 6, 9, 12 o’clock
GRAYDRESGE: that often
GRAYDRESGE: one of my favorite exercises is trot to one step of walk to trot
Parade1974: Mostly the problem is she tricks me into thinking she is travelling well, so smooth and rhythimic…then she trips…LOL So anyway any good exercises will help.
ChaseTheTBjumper has entered the room.
GRAYDRESGE: work up and down hills, cavaletti, too
Parade1974: I love cavaletti and will admit to not doing much, but I am recovering from an ingury so just getting back.
GRAYDRESGE: I think most people don’t do enough cavaletti
ChaseTheTBjumper: hello everyone
GRAYDRESGE: and they shouldn’t be just poles on the ground, but slightly raised
Parade1974: I have some good cavaletti and plan on making more. 4 just isn’t enough for me.
Freebird TMH: this is a stupid? but how far do you like to space them?
ChaseTheTBjumper: i do a lot of cavelletti work, i just don’t know very many excersises
GRAYDRESGE: about 4 ’ but it is VERY important that you adjust them to be comfortable for the horse
GRAYDRESGE: it helps to have someone on the ground at first
Parade1974: I have Klimkes Cavaletti book. There are some good excercises I would like to try in there.
GRAYDRESGE: his book is excellent
GRAYDRESGE: and his daughter Ingrid has just written another
NYBredMare: I like transition work but have a question about it, regarding a green draft X fild hunter
ChaseTheTBjumper: really? hmm, I will look for it the next time I am at a book store
evntualevnter: (if you have no one on the ground, you become very, very good at mounting;-))
GRAYDRESGE: you had better!
HalfpassHorse: What is Ingrid’s new book?
GRAYDRESGE: I don’t remember – but give me a sec
GRAYDRESGE: it’s also called Cavaletti – it may just be an updating of her father’s book since his name is on it as well
NYBredMare: the evil knome that I ride gets VERY cranky with LOTS of gait changes. He has bucked me off over it. Are distinct changes in length of stride, ie extend-collect-medium etc effective too
GRAYDRESGE: I consider them transitions too
HalfpassHorse: Thank you Lendon
GRAYDRESGE: do you think he might not be string enough yet in his stifles
GRAYDRESGE: that is a common problem, esp. with the big guys
NYBredMare: thank you. Hes a foxhunter witrh two speeds, fast and off. He’s getting his first real taste of “ring work” and has a common streak
ChaseTheTBjumper: Chase used to do foxhunting you would never guess it now though :slight_smile:
GRAYDRESGE: try to do his “ring work” not in the ring – in the field, on hills, on trails
GRAYDRESGE: some of my most successsful DRessage schooling has happened on the trails
NYBredMare: could be, but he seems physically able but mentally frustrated. he’s a small horse under 16hh and not really bulky, for a draftX.
Parade1974: Parade was the same way, exfox hunter, but now she has 3 speeds, Fast, Medium and stop. We are working on getting better in the medium speed. L
Freebird TMH: oh that is so true Lendon!
ChaseTheTBjumper: GrayDresge, may I ask you a question?
NYBredMare: once the ice melts I hope to:-D
GRAYDRESGE: you really think it might melt??
HalfpassHorse: I have a question about warming up. What do you think is a good warm up for a Arab/QH that tends to get too quick a tempo and sucks back.
Freebird TMH: ohh - good one, I have an arab/qh pony
NYBredMare: this guy LOVES to jump but gets annoyed with flatting, I try to keep it varied
GRAYDRESGE: If you look in the dictionary is “to flat” there as a verb? :slight_smile:
GRAYDRESGE: Anyway, I do a similar warm up for most horses
NYBredMare: no, only here. and to think, I majored in English.
Freebird TMH: we’d love to hear your warm up routine
GRAYDRESGE: but keep in mind that only in the coldest days or with arthritic types do you need to worry about “warming”
GRAYDRESGE: I think of it as tune up
Freebird TMH: good point
GRAYDRESGE: developing the tools (responses) to mu aids and getting the mind in gear
GRAYDRESGE: so that I have everything ready to then work
GRAYDRESGE: so evern from the beginning I do simple transitions, lots of changes of direction
Freebird TMH: so for the average training/1s level horse, how would yuo start your ride out?
GRAYDRESGE: changes of bend, and canter as soon as I can
GRAYDRESGE: with TB sometimes you are better off cantering before you trot
Parade1974: Mine is like that!
ChaseTheTBjumper: this is true
HalfpassHorse: My arab is like that too
Freebird TMH: that is very true - it seems to relax them more
evntualevnter: NY: A horse at my old barn went much, much better after jumping; I once warmed him up for an at-home show by going out in the field, galloping, jumping a little, then keeping our in-ring w-up very short and forward.
Parade1974: Her trot is 10 times better after a canter.
GRAYDRESGE: So after I walk on a loose rein, I then walk a short time on cantact, bend right and left, might do a little leg yield unless the horse is sucky
GRAYDRESGE: trot, change direction, circles, trot walks, serpentines, center lines, canter,
GRAYDRESGE: lotsof trot canter transitions
NYBredMare: eventualeventer, I try to incoprporate a few little crossrails into our flat work to keep him interested
GRAYDRESGE: throw in strectching circles at trot and canter
Freebird TMH: may I ask a reallly stupid question?
ChaseTheTBjumper: no question is stupid freebird
GRAYDRESGE: sure
GRAYDRESGE: if he rushes I do slow gait transitions
HalfpassHorse: Lendon: How far into the ride should you begin asking for more advanced stuff such as canter pirouettes and some steps of piaffe? (Mav has just started this, nothing serious)
GRAYDRESGE: if he is lazy I do lots of half goes – little quickenings of the gait
GRAYDRESGE: It depends very much on the horse
Freebird TMH: I have trained with some wonderful Dressage trainers - Lendon knows one - but I have had 8 concussions - from racehorses - and I have terrible short term memery loss. I woudl love to show Dressage, but I cant seem to remember a
GRAYDRESGE: I have often used piaffe as an early part of the warmup with an advanced horse
LimeKiwi01 has entered the room.
ChaseTheTBjumper: really? why is that?
Freebird TMH: test, and I am always getting teh aids confused when asking for movements, like for shoulder in, half pass etc
GRAYDRESGE: and schooling pirouettes are definitely part of the warm up of the advanced horse
LimeKiwi01: Hello
ChaseTheTBjumper: hi lime kiwi
HalfpassHorse: How big do you ride the schooling pirouettes?
Freebird TMH: I guess I need a Dressage for Dummies book
ChaseTheTBjumper: freebird, when you find it, send me a copy :wink: haha just kidding
GRAYDRESGE: depends, but like a 10 meter circle
Freebird TMH: so is there any hope?
GRAYDRESGE: Freebird – just go out and do the best you can and HAVE SOME FUN!
GRAYDRESGE: get your test called and keep it simple
Freebird TMH: what sthe best book for learning the aids
GRAYDRESGE: probably the German Manual
NYBredMare: thats OK freebird, I go off course at least one a lesson
HalfpassHorse: My guy is pretty good in the schooling pirouettes but on the right rein, he has a tendency to “spin” when I ride it smaller.
evntualevnter: I just need a dressage for eventing yahoos book!:stuck_out_tongue: (walk, trot, canter, buck, spook – all my specialties)
Freebird TMH: I want something that says to do _____ use your outsidfe leg behind teh girth, inside hand…that sort of thing
GRAYDRESGE: go two steps piouette to two steps straight ahead over and over
GRAYDRESGE: doesn’t have to be exactly two steps
rockyandmolly: Freebird, that is why I am waiting for Part 2, of Lessons with Lendon !!
GRAYDRESGE: my next book goes into GREAT detail :slight_smile:
ChaseTheTBjumper: Graydresge, may I ask you a question?
Parade1974: I would like to know too if there is a book like that out there.
rockyandmolly: I need the lesson for Shoulder In !!
Freebird TMH: oh - I’m thinking I need to check out Amazon.com the next time I get some extra $$$ - your book sounds fabulous
HalfpassHorse: Thank you Lendon, I’ll try that. I do a similar excercise with the halfpass, and it works wonders on him.
Freebird TMH: and whats a shoulder fore? I mean compared to a choulder in
GRAYDRESGE: make sure you don’t change the temp between pirouett and straight ahead
HalfpassHorse: So stay in the pirouette canter?
GRAYDRESGE: a shoulder fore is a baby shoulder in
GRAYDRESGE: yes stay in pir canter
HalfpassHorse: ok, thanks :slight_smile:
ChaseTheTBjumper: Ledon: may I ask you something?
ChaseTheTBjumper: *lendon
GRAYDRESGE: in shoulder in the outside front leg in in front of the inside hind leg
LimeKiwi01: i have a ? also lendon
GRAYDRESGE: in shoulder fore the outside front leg lines up between the two hind legs
Freebird TMH: ohh ok
Freebird TMH: that makes sence
LimeKiwi01: well i have a young TB and how do i …well get his head tucked??
GRAYDRESGE: That is not something that I can answer without seeing you both
LimeKiwi01: ok
GRAYDRESGE: but let me just say that before that you must have some other things confirmed
NYBredMare: id you young tb off the track?
LimeKiwi01: no
GRAYDRESGE: he must go on loose rein
GRAYDRESGE: you must be able to maintain a very soft and totally passive contact (no pullling) at all gaits
GRAYDRESGE: without interfering in any way
GRAYDRESGE: he must be willing to bend his neck right and left
LimeKiwi01: thank you lendon. can i show u some pictures? Is it ok?
GRAYDRESGE: particularly with bending lines you may be lucky enough to them have his head come down because his whole top line relaxes
ChaseTheTBjumper: asking Lendon, I have a tendency to not “drop” the inside rein in my bend, but nost use it as much as I should,
GRAYDRESGE: but this can be a VERY big subject with some horses and not at all easy
GRAYDRESGE: it takes a rider who is totally independent with the aids and quick to repond to the horses responses
ChaseTheTBjumper: because asking my horse to bend, for example a quarter hauches turn, I know you aren’t supposed to ask the horse to TURN with your inside rein, but i feel if i use it for bending, he forgets about t
GRAYDRESGE: I’m afraid it’s getting to be bedtime :slight_smile:
ChaseTheTBjumper: the outside rein and inside leg altogether
ChaseTheTBjumper: oh okay
CHdomino has left the room.
evntualevnter: thanks for chatting with us!
Freebird TMH: oh gosh its after 10
Freebird TMH: sorry about that Lendon
LimeKiwi01: lendon can i show a pic?
Freebird TMH: you have been most patient with us
Parade1974: Thanks for listening to us.
GRAYDRESGE: It’s been my pleasure
LimeKiwi01: thank you lendon :slight_smile:
GRAYDRESGE: Bet of luck to you all and come visit if you are ever in my part of NY
NYBredMare: Your time and attention is appreciated Lendon
Freebird TMH: Thanks again chatting with us
HalfpassHorse: Thank you very much Lendon, I’m emailing you now about the WS position, thanks again!
Freebird TMH: and if its ok with everyone, I am going to be posting this chat on COTH
ChaseTheTBjumper: thanks lendon will you perhaps be on tomorrow?
GRAYDRESGE: I have 50 horses here of every type shape level and talent
GRAYDRESGE: Good night
NYBredMare: where is your home base?
LimeKiwi01: bye lendon
ChaseTheTBjumper: good night to you as well
rockyandmolly: thanks !
GRAYDRESGE: Bedford, NY – 1 hr from NYC
NYBredMare: thank you again
NYBredMare: I may call for a lesson some time
GRAYDRESGE: sure – now signing off
Freebird TMH: oh, and you all are welcome to stay here and chat
NYBredMare: good night