Lesson Plans

I work for a NARHA center out West and would love ideas for lesson plans. Anyone have a favorite idea they like to use?

Hi TakesOne -
What is your center’s focus (are you more recreational? Skill based?) What are some of the students’ goals and current skill levels?

we are skills based and see the whole spectrum of “special needs” from CP to at-risk youth. Every now and then its nice to hear some other lesson plan ideas to get the creative juices flowing again!

Our focus is on horsemanship and riding skills, but of course games are a huge part of the equation too. our riders range from walk only classes to cantering. Some have participated in dressage schooling shows as well.

Have you checked out the pony club website? They’ve changed it a lot in the past couple years but I’ve spent several afternoons just browsing through their stuff - lots of fun games but also lots of information about how to teach certain skills, what skills precede/follow other skills, just lots and lots of ideas. When I’m feeling a little burned out or just can’t bear the thought of another week of nagging about position, I can usually find some sort of game or activity that teaches what I want the kids to learn or can be adapted easily. Lots of great unmounted stuff for camps, too.

www.ponyclub.org

Thanks BestyK. I have looked at the Pony Club site and it is a great resource. hmmm, but as I think more about what I am looking for, the classes that are the most challenging are my younger kids with hyperactivity, ADD/ADHD. The pace needs to be quick and stimulating to keep them engaged. I’ve done so many obstacle courses in the past year:) and I’d like to hear how others keep their riders engaged. Some of my older kids can spend a few minutes discussing patterns, how to do transitions, riding circles. I have several kiddos that need things to be visual and concrete and can only preform 1-2 steps at a time.