Unlimited access >

Lessons Barns for an Adult to Restart (Bucks PA/ Hunterdon NJ)

(Apologizes beforehand for possible incoherence. Talking about this is triggering and can cause brain fog. )

Does anyone know a good lesson barn around Bucks County PA/Hunterdon County NJ (Or a little ways outside the counties) for nervous (Read: terrified) riders who want a from the ground restart? A dressage focus, or just general English riding!
Im worried if I go to a barn that knows my family that I wont get the restart I want because they know how I used to ride.

(YOU DONT HAVE TO READ THIS, ITS JUST BACKGROUND)
I’m a 20yo who hasn’t “properly” ridden in a few years (Maybe 4 or 5) and I realized (after having a breakdown in a stall mid-cleaning :sweat_smile: ) that I am terrified of riding. I can walk and trot and love trail rides, but the second my horse tenses up or stares into the distance I freeze and get so scared that they’re going to bolt. (I know exactly what incident caused this, and it’s actually part of my CPTSD)

I really want to start properly riding again, IE: Helping a horse carry themself properly and balancing not just sitting on a horse and letting them walk around.

Most barns that are halfway decent won’t try to push a new person on their first rides, even if they’ve ridden before. Usually, the opposite is the problem–someone hasn’t ridden for 20+ years, and they come in demanding that they canter and jump straight away, and they want to wear their helmet from way back when to do it in.

Are you looking for hunter-jumper, dressage, Western, or anything specific? That might be helpful to add.

2 Likes

I sent you a PM

1 Like

Come to my barn! Leuci, LLC in Califon, NJ. Hunter/Jumper, but ultimately focused on correct basics and excellent horsemanship. My trainer is really wonderful with adult re-riders or riders who are nervous/timid - very safe, lovely lesson horses!

So you know Courtney S?
I knew her at a previous barn where she and her mom rode. Really nice family.

Yes! They are the nicest people. :slight_smile:

1 Like