Unlimited access >

Lethargic barrel horse

My family recently bought a 10 year old off the track QH who is finished in barrels and has been competing for the last 3 years.
When we bought him he was a hot, nervous wreck that had a lot of gate/arena issues. Took him to vet, scoped him and treated for ulcers. Talk about night and day! It has been about 3 months since treatment. He has slowly started to not eat his alfalfa (gets a flake of grass and alfalfa, morning and night). He finally has quit all together. I have never met a horse who did not want his alfalfa, my herd is usually digging through the hay for every little piece. He is also so lethargic! He is tripping all over himself, to the point where he goes all the way down. He has absolutely no drive to go forward. He is ridden 4-5 days a week. Nothing too strenuous, trail rides and arena work to keep him shape.

Just wanting to pick some of your brains! Could this be a vitamin deficiency? He is not on any grain whatsoever, just hay.

We are scheduling him for a blood panel next week, but would like to know if anyone else had some input.

Thank you!

I can agree with the blood panel. The only other thing is possibly a neck injury. I had a horse that had a pull back injury from putting his head through his fence and slipped and fractured a vertebrae near his poll. He became very ataxic and could not eat well. We had him checked for West Nile, Lyme, and EPM. Finally took xrays and bingo. Unfortunately I had him put down. I wish you luck and hopefully a quick recovery for your horse!

Is he laying down to sleep, either at night or during the day?

I think I’d stop riding him until you get an answer, riding a horse that falls down is unsafe.

Almost sounds neurological, lethargic and tripping/falling… Have you taken his temp?

Definitely a complete blood workup. I would also investigate EPSM/PSSM and Lyme for starters.

I would absolutely stop riding him.

Is his demeanor different between in the pasture and being worked? In other words, does he trip all over himself just being in the pasture?

[QUOTE=SuckerForHorses;8042912]
Is he laying down to sleep, either at night or during the day?[/QUOTE]

Stands up most of the time.

We haven’t done it recently, when we first started noticing go off his alfalfa we did and he has good. I will do it again!

[QUOTE=JB;8042990]
Is his demeanor different between in the pasture and being worked? In other words, does he trip all over himself just being in the pasture?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t seen him trip when turned out, but that being said he doesn’t really do much. We don’t have pasture here, so we turnout in the arena when available. He just seems grumpy and lethargic all the time.

I am trying to get more history from his old owners today!

\ I wouldn’t mess around and get a vet out asap. It isn’t normal, and it needs to be addressed. Good luck, and let us know when you get a vet out.

I had a horse that started having similar problems, an OTQH like your’s, and we found it was a potassium deficiency. Definitely stay off till you know more, that kind of thing can get someone hurt.

Watch his water consumption closely, the first thing we’d notice when my horse’s levels would go “off” was that he’d drink constantly. I don’t know why he did that and the vet really couldn’t pinpoint a reason either, but it’s something to watch.

If he does not lay down to sleep, then sleep deprivation could be part of his lethargic issues.

[QUOTE=Angelico;8043428]
I had a horse that started having similar problems, an OTQH like your’s, and we found it was a potassium deficiency. Definitely stay off till you know more, that kind of thing can get someone hurt.

Watch his water consumption closely, the first thing we’d notice when my horse’s levels would go “off” was that he’d drink constantly. I don’t know why he did that and the vet really couldn’t pinpoint a reason either, but it’s something to watch.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! He definitely does drink more than the other horses. I will make sure and keep him separate so I can monitor him more.