Unlimited access >

Life update

Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum because this is horse related and not horse related, so
Hello all!
This is just an update and to get my thoughts off my chest to an equestrian community. It has been over three months since I have last posted on here. First of all, I did end up leaving my job and my old boss was not surprised at all, actually. A few days after I made my last post, I told her that I was done in two weeks. She did, however, ask the next day if I was sure and I was. I was going to get another job, but I decided to wait, which now how the world is that was a good decision. I’m only 17, so I got to really focus on my studies, especially when my classes went online. Anyway, I was helping out at the racetrack with the thoroughbreds with one of the old owners at the barn I was at. I enjoyed that way more, as there were like ten horses and four people helping, plus I got to work on my Spanish (the trainer is from Mexico). I have not been at the track in a while because my grandma said that I needed to stay home due to the Covid virus. During March until mid April, I was horse sitting for a lady that I had met in November of last year and she had me watch the house and other animals when she was gone for a business trip and then she got stuck across the country during the first period of the virus. I would hang out at her house most days that I was not at school and stay some nights. She had a very pregnant mare and she gave me some contacts. I loved working there because I just had two horses, two cats, a dog and a turtle. The pay was great and the horses were great. This lady works for a horse supplement company and is a very sweet lady. I also set up cameras in her huge barn and gave my grandma access. I happened to move the pregnant mare a few days before she gave birth, as the barn flooded a bit, so I had to move the gelding and the mare down a stall. Anyway, I had stayed the night at this lady’s house and I got a call about midnight that my grandma thought the mare was giving birth. She does not know much about horses besides what I have told her. So, I went outside and sure enough the mare was foaling, so I called the lady’s relative and he came. I’m very thankful for him because he helped me a lot with turnout and with the foaling. The mare went great and it was amazing to work a bit with the foal and give him hugs. I went up to see him this week and he’s gotten so big. It was an amazing experience to witness. After she came home, I have mainly stayed at home and I did end up getting a cute lion head rabbit (Amelia) and now I’m working on getting pilot fit, since I am going to be applying for professional flight at a few colleges. I know I can go the military route, and I think that is great, but civilian is the path for me. After this is over, there should be jobs and I know that being a pilot is my calling. So, right now this next year (senior year of high school while doing post secondary college) I am going to be working on my maths and stuff. Hopefully I can go back to the track soon, I’m just waiting for my grandma to give me the ok. Anyway, thank you for reading and I did like the advice about the job. Now that I did leave, I realize that it was time to. One of the owner’s said I could ride her horse if I wanted, but I am choosing to take a break from that and as much as I love horses, I do not regret my decisions. I know being a pilot and hopefully eventually horse owner after I can afford a horse (my other pets are much cheaper) will take time and dedication, but it’s the path for me :slight_smile:

I know this is not in paragraph form or anything, I just really wanted to share about what has happened after I left my job. Also, I do not regret leaving, but that does not mean that I did not enjoy my time at the barn and that I did not enjoy my time showing. It was just too much and no time for studies. And after being told to not do a horse job by many people, I finally realized what they meant.

Hi Op, I didn’t catch your other thread but thanks for sharing what’s going on in your life! Seventeen is such a confusing yet exhilarating age when you have so much ahead of you. I personally really enjoy hearing what young people are up to these days. In some ways it’s such a very different world from when I was a teenager yet the time tested challenges and quests for adventure are still there.

You sound like you’re well on your way to thinking things through for yourself, making great choices and keeping a positive attitude. It’s interesting to hear how you’ve handled the current world situation. Hat’s off to Grandma for being that little voice in your ear :).

Best of luck with your future career as a pilot! And do get used to paragraphs, you’ll get more readers that way. :yes: :encouragement:

2 Likes

I read that and remembered you, although I didn’t post.

What a wonderful experience and it sounds like you are on your way to what you want.

1 Like

:encouragement: Nice update OP!

1 Like

Good for you. Gosh sometimes I wish I was 17 again and then again maybe not……….I sure would have made some very different choices.

3 Likes

Is professional flight an airplane pilot program? Sounds like you are doing pretty well during this shutdown time. Listen to Gramma, they have a lot of “life experiences” to share. May not always be what information you wish to hear, but still helpful in looking at things from another direction. She doesn’t want you making poor choices from inexperience. Glad things seem to be working out.

2 Likes

there is a dramatic shortage even today for air traffic controllers, the pilot overage due to this reorganization of the airlines is being said to take at least five years to work its way out without a return normal

OP, gave you considered taking a few of the aptitude tests to determine your pathway?

1 Like

I am so sorry for the late reply. I was not getting any notifications.

To answer your question just the ones I take at home, as I have been doing post secondary classes for two years now. I am also looking at majoring in engineering to where I could work at places like NASA, Lockheed, etc. I want to eventually get my private pilot license when I have time/money if I decide to do engineering.

2 Likes

If I was out of town and stuck during a crisis, I would happy if you were watching my horses. Sounds like you did a great job and there’s a healthy foal to show for it. :slight_smile:

You’ve grown up during a tumultuous period in history. We apparently have some pressing things to work on, like climate change and race relations (although you sound like you might be in the UK). Flying is a great career and I wish you luck. Do you have Civil Air Patrol or other youth flying clubs near you?

1 Like

I’m in the US. And I’ve been thinking these past few weeks about becoming a pilot and how it’s so expensive to do and possibly not make enough to live. So, I might end up going to engineering, like I had originally thought I wanted to do. We have a small airport ten minutes up the road. I’ve tried to get an intro lesson there, but the instructor has a full time flying job somewhere else. That made it impossible to go there.

The foal was amazing to see being born! I actually took care of him last week with the other horses and he’s gotten so big!

Sounds great! I did engineering in the military and loved it. More women engineers!

As a hobby, flying is expensive, but you’re right about engineering being a great job you can enjoy to be able to afford hobbies you also enjoy.

You said “maths”, so I thought you might be from the UK. :lol:

1 Like

Lol I love the UK and I read a lot of books that aren’t based in the US, so I kind of incorporate both when I write. And yes, the more I have been thinking about it, I have realized that I need to have animals and horses in my life. I love them too much not to have them. I still may eventually go for a PPL, but just for fun as long as I can afford to.