Unlimited access >

Light weight long sleeve shirts

So a couple of years back I got skin cancer. Since then, I’ve been avoiding the sun like the plague. When I got back into riding this last year, I’ve been slathering on the spf 70 so much that I turn into a ghost. However, I know that there are still issues with only having sunblock. I would like to have some long sleeve shirts I can wear at any time. I get overheated easily so I’ve been having trouble finding shirts that aren’t too heavy for summer riding. Does anyone have any suggestions of brands (western/English/workout it doesn’t matter) that have light weight long sleeve shirts?

These are nice enough that I wear them to work. UPF 30. Very comfortable.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women--39-s-infinity-button-down-shirt/23150292/_/A-ebSku_0310461122000050__23150292_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=222&backToCat=Tops-Sale&previousPage=GNAV&tab=sale&color=122

I have several different brands that I use. My favorite are San Soleil. I think they are sold as golf shirts. Coolibar brand are also good. Columbia outdoor gear also has a line of spf shirts.

Look into running clothes. They’ll all be made with sweat-wicking properties and are lightweight. And huge variety of looks, from plain to super-bling
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ASICS_Womens_Core_Long_Sleeve_Top/descpage-AWCLST2.html

Another thought is to get arm sleeves like this, and then you can pair that with very lightweight short sleeve shirts.

I bought this one from Amazon when I was on doxycycline for Lyme disease and was worried about photosensitivity: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9LLDLU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It’s a men’s shirt and not particularly fashionable (though it does come in many colors!). However, it’s UPF 50+, it’s very well-reviewed, and it was much cheaper than the prettier ones when I was looking. I am 5’6" and 135 and the small fits me fine, either alone or over a tank top.

Reel Legend shirts look just like the Columbia shirts without the high price. Order from Beale’s online or get in the store. They come in long and short sleeve and a ton of cool colors.

I have a number of Bette & Court cool elements shirts and I really like them.

I love the Eddie Bauer shirts that were linked. But I’ve found I sometimes get too hot even in the lightweight synthetic shirts. So I’ll wear a short-sleeve technical shirt and a light-weight cotton shirt over top. I’ve actually had good luck finding the long sleeve at a thrift store, often a “fashion” shirt in a size larger than normal, lightweight fabric. Not as fitted or nice looking, but then I’m a trail/endurance rider, and anything goes!

I wear the Kastel Denmark shirts all the time. I’m photosensitive and they are a lifesaver. . . They are UPF 30 and stay nice and cool. We carry them and you can buy directly through them as well. They also make really nice Merino wool sweaters, that I’m living in right now!

I like the cotton Columbia fishing shirts, long sleeve, with vented backs.

I go with a slightly too large long sleeved white cotton shirt. I find that is cool in the sun, and my Derm said it gave good UV protection. For barnwork/gardening or dirty jobs I use my son’s old school shirts, and I have some tidy ones for lessons, clinics etc.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8526088]
I have a number of Bette & Court cool elements shirts and I really like them.[/QUOTE]

Love my Bette & Court shirt! The mesh under arm is great for my stinky pits (TMI? :lol:)

As a skin cancer survivor myself, I swear by these (all mentioned above) type of shirts. I live in my EIS shirts and like the ones by Ariat as well.

I love the ice -FIL from kerrits.

Horsedream I Pmd you

Pmd you

I own multiple brands of the wicking-type long sleeve shirts with the 1/4 zip neckline. My favorite, by far, are the Under Armour ones I bought on sale, end-of-season at Academy. When they get damp and there’s the slightest breeze, it’s like being in air conditioning!

[QUOTE=thehorsedream;8525767]
So a couple of years back I got skin cancer. Since then, I’ve been avoiding the sun like the plague. When I got back into riding this last year, I’ve been slathering on the spf 70 so much that I turn into a ghost. However, I know that there are still issues with only having sunblock. I would like to have some long sleeve shirts I can wear at any time. I get overheated easily so I’ve been having trouble finding shirts that aren’t too heavy for summer riding. Does anyone have any suggestions of brands (western/English/workout it doesn’t matter) that have light weight long sleeve shirts?[/QUOTE]
I love Columbia shirts. I got mine from REI and Bass Pro.

I have actually sunburned right through cotton or polyester shirts before. When I was a kid I used to have a number square on my back where the sun wouldn’t reach at horse shows.

If I’m riding outside in the summer I usually wear long sleeve tech running shirts from EMS. Or I’ll get long sleeved Under Armor heat gear from TJ Maxx. I try to get ones with a collar so I can flip it up to protect the back of my neck.

As long as it’s the wicking tech material I end up cooler wearing long sleeves because the sun isn’t right on my skin.