Unlimited access >

Lipizzaner Stallions ~ Any Owners?

I recently saw a live performance of the “World Famous” Lipizzaner Stallions! :love-struck: Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I highly recommend seeing the show if it ever comes through your city! It’s so inspiring, beautiful horses performing complicated and classical dressage. The airs above the ground are to die for! So I was wondering - has anyone else seen the show, or something like this? And does anyone actually own a Lipizzaner?! :smiley:

I used to work for a woman who had an astounding collection of wonderful horses including a Lipizzan Stallion, a welsh cob imported from England, and a few polo ponies from Argentina… it was like a living horse breed museum in her barn…and yes he was a stallion, and he was the only stallion at her farm, and he was not a breeding horse- I thought it was so funny that he was a stallion, as if the breed representing was Lipizzan STALLION and not simply Lipizzan…

He was very a gentle and well mannered, highly trained dressage horse. Sadly he was having colic problems during the short time I was working there and I don’t know how things worked out for him.

Had the chance to do the working student thing with the Herrmanns, didn’t do it… still kicking myself 20 years later!

OP, that is great news for me – Where did you see the World Famous performance? Their site page for “current tours” has not worked in some time, and an email I sent in the spring asking about current appearances was never answered.

For years they came through Richmond and/or Charlottesville and we always caught them, as well as the Spanish Riding School tour that was brought in via their company several years ago.

Decades ago I also saw the Royal Lippizaner Stallion group.

I would love to see either group again!

I saw the World Famous performance for the first time about 15 or so years ago, and then again about 10 years ago. Wonderful show, and I even got to go backstage at the first one. :smiley:

I was lucky enough to see the SRS tour in Philly back in 2005 (birthday present from my sister). We had second row seats for that show, and it was spectacular! Would love to see them again if they ever come back to the US. Or maybe I’ll just go over to Vienna…

I have seen the SRS twice while they were on tour in the US, once when I was a kid and once when they came through a few years ago, and I own a lip mare.

I used to be a performer in the show. (Not the SRS, but a US based group)
They are fantastic horses! Each of the bloodlines has its own look, personality, and strengths. I prefer Pluto, and Maestoso lines, and im not really a fan of the siglavy head. Good ones aren’t cheap last year I was considering a 5 year old with a club foot and colic history with blow your mind amazing gaits. He was $25k and unstarted.
They tend to be smaller, rarely being over 16h but they are built in such a way that they take up a long leg nicely.

I just returned from a trip to Vienna, where I toured the SRS. Our guide told us that the SRS does sell Lippizaners that they decide aren’t right for the breeding program and/or not right for performing. Price was about EU10,000.

I’ve seen the World Famous Lipizzan Stallion tour once, but have seen the SRS twice in the US and many times on trips to Vienna. It is really cool to see them perform in that beautiful riding hall in Vienna. I also own 2 Lipizzan mares.

I know when we were in Vienna a few years ago and took the tour & show they were very clear that they were not related to the US touring Lipizzaner stallions group. It was an amazing experience! I almost enjoyed the stable tour more than the actual show. Even my husband who isn’t a horse person loved both.
I just wished we had enough time to take the train to the actual breeding farm. But I HIGHLY recommend taking the stable tour if nothing else if you find yourself in Vienna. It is very impressive to be in the palace and even more of an experience when you are standing in the dirt in the palace arena.
Yes, you can purchase Lipizzaner that don’t make the “cut” for around 10K euros, still very nice stock.

[QUOTE=Petstorejunkie;7176160]
I used to be a performer in the show. (Not the SRS, but a US based group)
They are fantastic horses! Each of the bloodlines has its own look, personality, and strengths. I prefer Pluto, and Maestoso lines, and im not really a fan of the siglavy head. Good ones aren’t cheap last year I was considering a 5 year old with a club foot and colic history with blow your mind amazing gaits. He was $25k and unstarted.
They tend to be smaller, rarely being over 16h but they are built in such a way that they take up a long leg nicely.[/QUOTE]

That price is an extreme, almost unbelievable–most are available in the $8k-15K range, some nice youngsters for even less. For 25 you get a well started stallion prospect at the very least.
Lipizzans are cheaper than any other baroque horse or papered warmblood!

1 Like

Isn’t there a poster on here with a lovely Lippazan mare? She has a blog that I LOVE but her username is alluding me right now.

My mom actually bought a horse from this show a few years ago…Conversano Tropina. He is the horse that is on the cover of their program and is performing the levade. He is an absolutely incredible horse…kind, sweet, talented, full of personality. He was in the show for 14 years and literally traveled around the world.

I saw the “world famous” tour in twice when it came through KY - once in Lexington and once in Pikeville (ignorant crowd there - know nothing of the breed or dressage was rather funny to listen to people’s comments - almost all trail quarter, paint, rocky mountains, or walkers in the area). Was lovely.

I used to live very close to Temple Farms and saw their performance several times. A friend rode for them and I must say, they did a quality job. I can’t speak for it now as I haven’t seen it in years (I probably saw 15 years ago or so). If I recall correctly they had a breeding program as well.

I had the opportunity to ride a Lippizan mare several years ago for a lady while she was pregnant. A lovely mare, very forgiving and quite kind. Hated when she was able to ride again because I didnt get to ride her anymore !

Saw the SRS 2 different times in the US and loved it.

We board in the winter at a private dressage barn. They have a Lipizzan and 5 Lusitano stallions. Teddy (the Lipizzan) is a doll.

I have not seen the show but have heard that it is quite fun!

Stallion owner? No. mare owner yes :slight_smile: Her dam is a wonderful beginners horse and her sire did well regionally in dressage and most often anyone can ride him. Mine? Not so much. I do not let other people ride her as she can be a bit unpredictable at times… I am hoping to take her to another schooling show this year.

http://s963.photobucket.com/user/beakleyl/media/418515_382391031828149_150610039_n_zpsf50ed516.jpg.html

They are certainly entertaining- kudos to the farms that do perform for the public.
But, you really need to watch the SRS, there is no comparison.
Yes, I also own one.
Trick to the name, think pizza in the middle- Li pizza n

I own a Lip mare, 7 yo. Opinionated and yet very talented. I bred her - dad is from Oregon - http://www.aracnet.com/~evenstar/about.html . Mom was very sporty, 16+ hands.
Evelia is about 15.3 hands. She will be competing 2nd level this winter at schooling shows.

Definitely a different type of horse than your normal warmblood. Fortunately, my trainer is very experienced in the breed.

L

My trainer, now has two stallions and a small herd of mares. She started with one rescued lippy stallion and then she aquired a small herd including a stallion, gelding and mares from the west coast. You can see a few pictures on her website missviewfarm.com on the home page and the about us page. The one stallion comes from Neopolitano line and the second stallion comes from the Favory line